Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ultra-Orthodox Men Have a New Way to Shield Their Precious Eyes From Slutty Slut Sluts

Posted by   + Show Post

Ultra-Orthodox Men Have a New Way to Shield Their Precious Eyes From Slutty Slut Sluts

August 9, 2012 By 44 Comments

You may have heard stories of the neighborhood in Brooklyn, NY that has a large population of Hasidic Jews.

Pictures of signs like this have surfaced:

Or, more famously, there was this picture of the White House Situation Room as Osama bin Laden was being taken out:

Apparently Hillary Clinton's pantsuit was a little too revealing that day... Also you could see her wrist, so it's understandable why they removed her along with Audrey Thomason (The Director of Counterterrorism? What the hell was she even doing in that room in the first place? Back to the kitchen, wench!)

Now, the same community has come up with a new solution for their slut-spotting eyes. Because us ladies aren't staying covered the way we're supposed to, they have invented special glasses that blur their vision:

The ultra-Orthodox community's unofficial "modesty patrols" are selling glasses with special blur-inducing stickers on their lenses. The glasses provide clear vision for up to a few meters so as not to impede movement, but anything beyond that gets blurry - including women. It's not known how many have been sold.

For men forced to venture outside their insular communities, hoods and shields that block peripheral vision are also being offered.

So, yes, this is maybe the dumbest thing I have ever ever heard (though writing for this blog I feel like I am saying that every other week). But, hey, it's better than the alternatives... like throwing rocks and spitting on 8-year-old girls as they walk to school.

Am I thrilled that they find the sight of my elbows so offensive that they have to half-blind themselves lest they accidentally catch a sight of my bare arms? Of course not, and I think their worldview is not only so so so dumb, but very dangerous. Still, I guess we should appreciate that these men are taking responsibility for their own crazy instead of trying to make the rest of the world conform, right?

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Replies (31-40):
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Dont you just love how others always know more about our religions than we do?

Quoting collectivecow:

What a way to distort the facts.

A) The newspaper that removes ALL pictures containing women/men together in them is specifically published for orthodox Jews solely.

B) There is no such thing as "ultra-orthodox" This is a nonsense term coined by the media which cannot distinguish between Chabad/Skver/Satmar: Meaning, the media can't be bothered to separate what different sects do, so they just label it as "ultra-orthodox"

C) They don't demand women be covered up: Our texts do. They also demand men to be covered up.
This applies solely to Jews, get it?

BTW: Shorts, usually applies to MEN, not women.

D) Us poor women? Do you even understand what covering your hair on marriage implies? I can't wait to cover my hair, but thanks for implying that it isn't a choice for Jewish women..There are entire BRANCHES of Judaism that would beg to differ.

E) Second class citizens? Give me a break - Women are credited with having more binah (wisdom/intelligence) in Judaism.

How much do you actually know about our beliefs?

Quoting littlelamb303:

when they moved Hillary from the photo, they WERE imposing their beliefs on us, just like demanding all women need to be covered up.  Those poor women cannot even go out with their own hair showing, it must be a wig and fully covered in this heat, head to toe.  Honestly, living outside of NYC, I always felt sorry for these women(of any religion) walking in the heat at amusement parks, covered from head to toe with 7 kids in tow. I see it often and I always wonder if any of them try to break away.  I really don't care about anyone's religion, but I do not like it when women are second class citizens and YES, in many religions they are (including some christian ones as well)

Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting YepYeah:

How are they forcing it on others? The store is in a community made up of like-minded people. You don like it, don go there. And I'm sure that the photo was for their community newspaper. Not exactly forcing it on others. Now if they insists the NY Times edited the pic the. You would have an argument.
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:18 PM
2 moms liked this

I had good laugh!

Women's liberation is just a lot of foolishness. It's men who are discriminated against. They can't bear children. And no one is likely to do anything about that.

Golda Mier

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh totally: I'm sure they got it off the NY Times.. they have a lovely way of creating seriously biased stories.

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting collectivecow:

What a way to distort the facts.

A) The newspaper that removes ALL pictures containing women/men together in them is specifically published for orthodox Jews solely.

B) There is no such thing as "ultra-orthodox" This is a nonsense term coined by the media which cannot distinguish between Chabad/Skver/Satmar: Meaning, the media can't be bothered to separate what different sects do, so they just label it as "ultra-orthodox"

C) They don't demand women be covered up: Our texts do. They also demand men to be covered up.
This applies solely to Jews, get it?

BTW: Shorts, usually applies to MEN, not women.

D) Us poor women? Do you even understand what covering your hair on marriage implies? I can't wait to cover my hair, but thanks for implying that it isn't a choice for Jewish women..There are entire BRANCHES of Judaism that would beg to differ.

E) Second class citizens? Give me a break - Women are credited with having more binah (wisdom/intelligence) in Judaism.

How much do you actually know about our beliefs?

Quoting littlelamb303:

when they moved Hillary from the photo, they WERE imposing their beliefs on us, just like demanding all women need to be covered up.  Those poor women cannot even go out with their own hair showing, it must be a wig and fully covered in this heat, head to toe.  Honestly, living outside of NYC, I always felt sorry for these women(of any religion) walking in the heat at amusement parks, covered from head to toe with 7 kids in tow. I see it often and I always wonder if any of them try to break away.  I really don't care about anyone's religion, but I do not like it when women are second class citizens and YES, in many religions they are (including some christian ones as well)

"The right to be heard does not include the right to be taken seriously."

terpmama
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:54 PM
Quoting collectivecow:

What?? The media biased?? (sarcasm)
momtimesx4
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Those who do not follow a certain religion only know what is readily available to them.  Many times this is via the news, tv, newspaper, etc.  And the example set forth is many times NOT what the religious group would like seen as the spokeman.

Such as Islam.  Back in 2000, people might have known about it, did not pay that much attention to it and in general did not care. The attacks on September 11, 2001 brought Islam to the limelight and into everyones living room not necessarily by the proper spokesman.

When people say you must know more about it than me.  Well why don't you try to educate people.  

Many times people defend X religion and say it's not like that. People will say, really, well I heard such and such.  If that is wrong, please correct us and tell us more. Defenders of X will pull back and say "You wouldn't understand it anyway so I'm not going to bother."  

Thus perpetuating the sterotype/ignorance of X religion.

Quoting muslimahpj:

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:02 PM
3 moms liked this

Just going to add: Calling any woman a slut is a big no-no.

The actual article:

A Brooklyn-based Hasidic newspaper removed Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and another woman from the now-iconic photo of the Obama national security team watching the raid that killed Osama bin Laden from the White House Situation Room.

UPDATE: Der Tzitung sent a statement to the press, apologizing for altering the photo—which the White House had forbidden news outlets from doing—and explaining why they had removed Clinton and Tomason.

“In accord with our religious beliefs, we do not publish photos of women, which in no way relegates them to a lower status," the statement said in part. "... Because of laws of modesty, we are not allowed to publish pictures of women, and we regret if this gives an impression of disparaging to women, which is certainly never our intention. We apologize if this was seen as offensive.”

The allegations that religious Jews denigrate women or do not respect women in public office, is a malicious slander and libel.

The current Secretary of State, the Honorable Hillary R. Clinton, was a Senator representing New York State with great distinction 8 years.

She won overwhelming majorities in the Orthodox Jewish communities in her initial campaign in '00, and when she was re-elected in '06, because the religious community appreciated her unique capabilities and compassion to all communities. The Jewish religion does not allow for discrimination based on gender, race, etc.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Actually, my statement is about people who we (general) try to educate, but, they wont hear it because they believe everything they have seen heard in the media.

Stick around, you will see it a lot in here, especially towards us muslim moms. The non muslims always know more and try to tell us how it is. You are so wrong in that we say you wouldnt understand. Search the many anti Islam posts in here and see for yourself.

If people are truly interested in learning, they will ask about it, not tell how it is.

Quoting momtimesx4:

Those who do not follow a certain religion only know what is readily available to them.  Many times this is via the news, tv, newspaper, etc.  And the example set forth is many times NOT what the religious group would like seen as the spokeman.

Such as Islam.  Back in 2000, people might have known about it, did not pay that much attention to it and in general did not care. The attacks on September 11, 2001 brought Islam to the limelight and into everyones living room not necessarily by the proper spokesman.

When people say you must know more about it than me.  Well why don't you try to educate people.  

Many times people defend X religion and say it's not like that. People will say, really, well I heard such and such.  If that is wrong, please correct us and tell us more. Defenders of X will pull back and say "You wouldn't understand it anyway so I'm not going to bother."  

Quoting muslimahpj:

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 8:06 PM

The problem with this logic is that people insult before they ask: If someone is curious about it, they should just ask about it in general.

I have told people on here for example: That I would be willing to answer any questions I possibly can if someone was curious about something in PM.

Example: Would you want to answer questions after someone accused you of being a rapist?  Or would you be more inclined to defend your position as a non-rapist firsthand.

A man covers his head to remind him that God is above.
A woman covers her hair to remind her of what lies within.

Here is a short video on why Jewish women cover their hair (although it is a part of the reason we do).

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting muslimahpj:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN