Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

‘Intelligent Design’ Not Enough For Creationists, Now The Push For ‘Divine Mathematics’

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 6:12 PM
  • 72 Replies

‘Intelligent Design’ Not Enough For Creationists, Now The Push For ‘Divine Mathematics’

August 8, 2012
By

For years now we have seen people seeking to push the bible into the science classroom. However, the move in recent years to push the religiously based ‘charter school’ system has opened up a new front in the war to erode critical thinking skills. No longer satisfied with pushing the rubbish of Creationism or abstinence only health education, now a new model is out, attacking the foundation of mathematics itself.

The A Beka Book company provides a great many of the literature for these religious schools. We come to expect dominionists to push for their lies about science and history, but the A Beka Book company produces a whole series of dominionist school textbooks, including a revisionist form of mathematics not based on logic nor reason but instead “mathematics are a creation of God and thus absolute.”

Here is an example, taken from the A Beka Book piece titled “The Christian Approach to Elementary Math” originally published in 1980 and still used in their latest titles:

We are unabashed advocates of traditional math, not only because the students learn something that can be built upon, but also because it accords with our Christian viewpoints on education. Only from a Christian perspective can the basic rationale — the intrinsic reasonableness of traditional elementary math — be seen and appreciated. Traditional math will not succeed unless it is taught with the conviction that something more than arbitrary process derived from arbitrary principles is at work. The elementary student does not need to “understand” 2 + 2 = 4 in order to learn it and use it; he will learn the abstract principles later. But the elementary student does need to see his multiplication tables as part of the truth and order that God has built into reality. From the Christian perspective, 2 + 2 = 4 takes on cosmic significance, as does every fact of mathematics, however particular.

Note they call their Divine Mathematics “traditional math” in order to make it sound acceptable to a particular group of people. They are targeting the easily deceived who then feel that they are trying to restore “tradition.” They even claim that a student does not need to understand 2+2=4, only to accept it as a sign of divinity.*

This drive to undermine critical thinking, to set in stone to never question nor understand the foundations. As a result, they become to accept things at face value, hurting their ability to think for themselves. A crowd of sheep, brainwashed by whatever their elders tell them.

Their goal is a generation who are nothing but slaves, who have no idea that they are enslaved in the first place. This is why it was a felony to educate a slave in the south before the civil war, and why a man like Frederick Douglass so terrified those who would form the Confederacy. Now they aim to create a new slave caste, one based on ill education and ignorance.

And they aim to use our tax money to create it.

*Of course, adding two and two does not always mean the result is four, as any mathematician can tell you. For example, if you switch to base 3 math, suddenly 2+2 becomes 11, in base 4 it becomes 10. While an elementary student does not study different base mathematics, they need to understand the math itself, as these different base maths are the foundation of our technologically driven society. The computer that you and I both are sitting in front of at this moment works based on a combination of multiple base maths, base 2, base 8, and base 16. Without understanding the mathematical foundation, by just attributing it to divine providence, you cannot grasp the basics needed to work in the increasingly interconnected world we have today.

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 6:34 PM
Dude, I read about this and wondered what in the hell they were talking about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

o.O

I have no words...except is this Texas? Or another southern state?

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Having read that, I'm more confused and more frightened. But at least I'm not as afraid as they seem to be in abject terror by life in general and are only still alive because god says suicide is a sin. I don't trust people who claim to look so forward to death. It makes them lazy and unwillining to improve this life since it is so short compared with coming eternity of heaven. Wasteful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelamb303
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 6:50 PM
3 moms liked this

It is a drive to make more people uneducated.  People that are poorly educated are easier to manipulate into believing their lame teachings (like a cult)  It is like when a political party lies and convinces people to vote for them even though it is cleary against their own interest.  The less educated, the more sheep like people become.  I use the earlier catholic church when my mom was growing up as an example.  They were told their would go to hell and deserve to be standing over the grave of their dead child if they missed mass (true stories) and the sheep believe it without question. Intelligent people ALWAYS question.  I have read horrid stories about parents not giving their children meds because "god" will heal and their children die.  It is a sad sad reality.  No religion should ever have so much power over someone

YepYeah
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Dude, I read about this and wondered what in the hell they were talking about.

same here

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Having read that, I'm more confused and more frightened. But at least I'm not as afraid as they seem to be in abject terror by life in general and are only still alive because god says suicide is a sin. I don't trust people who claim to look so forward to death. It makes them lazy and unwillining to improve this life since it is so short compared with coming eternity of heaven. Wasteful.

yep

TugBoatMama
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

throwing upGross

Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM
Quoting LucyMom08:

o.O

A beka is homeschool material. It is NOT used in public schools.
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I remember praying before I had to take a calculus test. Is that the same thing?

;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Even scarier...those kids will not have any other options available...

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Quoting LucyMom08:

o.O

A beka is homeschool material. It is NOT used in public schools.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)