Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Voting to ban same sex marriage is immoral.

Posted by   + Show Post

What is the definition of morality? 

Voting to ban same sex marriage actively HARMS other people by refusing to allow them to have civil rights.  Banning same sex marriage means homosexual people cannot form families.  That is one of the cruelest things one group of people can do to another group of people, because the family is the foundation of our society. 

People engaged in homosexual relationships are not doing anything immoral because they are not harming anyone.  They are consenting adults.  It is the anti-gay people who are committing immoral acts.

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Replies (31-40):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:46 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I guess it all depends on your definition of morality.  I tend to go with the version where all sin is immoral.

What is your definition of immorality?

Immorality is the failure to live up to the moral principles set forth in the Bible.  You do not have to share that view, but my view is just as valid as yours...unless of course you are choosing to be anti-religion and a Christian hater.  If that is the case then I really don't care what your view is.

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

If not them, then who? 

I also have a hard time with the fact that it is "the christian church"-- singular. There are hundreds if not thousands of christian denominations, and that is because they do have some significant differences.

I agree that no religious group has the right to legislate against sin. They only have to the right to choose what is without sin in making their own decisions. 

I'm not trying to convince you of anything (you obviously have your opinions set already), but I am trying to show an even-keeled difference of opinion. 

Quoting mikiemom:

But the problem is the christian church doesn't get to decide what is and what isn't a sin. I don't believe in sin, I believe in doing no harm to others period. And sorry but your god doesn't get to define sin either many people don't believe in your god.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I guess it all depends on your definition of morality.  I tend to go with the version where all sin is immoral.

Knowledge is Power

Smart Chicks (a debate forum)
      www.cafemom.com/group/smartchicks2

asfriend
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Immorality is the failure to live up to the moral principles set forth in the Bible.  You do not have to share that view, but my view is just as valid as yours...unless of course you are choosing to be anti-religion and a Christian hater.  If that is the case then I really don't care what your view is.

You can stop caring.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:50 AM

But that's just it no-one is forcing you to be gay or participate in gay sexual acts. They are not foricing their morality on you. If you think something is a sin don't do it. Worry about your own soul and stop worrying about everyone else. I fear you are going to be quite surprised in the end.

I do spend time wondering what christians will be reincarnated as in the next life lol - makes me giggle but sadly I know some of my thoughts are dinging my karma.  

Quoting asfriend:

I also don't understand that.
I for one, would luv it if the left would stop doing that.

Quoting mikiemom:

I also don't understand why one groups morals are foisted on the rest of us.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Each person individually decides what is and what is not right for them. Much of organized religioun's so called sins were introduced as ways to CONTROL the population, they aren't really sin or bad.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

If not them, then who? 

I also have a hard time with the fact that it is "the christian church"-- singular. There are hundreds if not thousands of christian denominations, and that is because they do have some significant differences.

I agree that no religious group has the right to legislate against sin. They only have to the right to choose what is without sin in making their own decisions. 

I'm not trying to convince you of anything (you obviously have your opinions set already), but I am trying to show an even-keeled difference of opinion. 

Quoting mikiemom:

But the problem is the christian church doesn't get to decide what is and what isn't a sin. I don't believe in sin, I believe in doing no harm to others period. And sorry but your god doesn't get to define sin either many people don't believe in your god.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

asfriend
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:54 AM

You do, or you do not understand that things do not happen in a vacuum?

You can't change parts of society without affecting the whole.

(and I repeat, I don't come from this with any particular religious perspective, other than maybe Karma, myself)

Quoting mikiemom:

But that's just it no-one is forcing you to be gat or participate in gay sexual acts. They are not foricing their morality on you. If you think something is a sin don't do it. Worry about your own soul and stop worrying about everyone else. I fear you are going to be quite surprised in the end.

I do spend time wondering what christians will be reincarnated as in the next life lol - makes me giggle but sadly I know some of my thoughts are dinging my karma.  

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting mikiemom:

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Of course you are allowed to believe and follow your path. You can not force your path on others. Many pagans find eating meat morally wrong but nobody is legislating the consumption of meat because for the most part they understand they can only worry about their own souls.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

So, because you are anti-God I am not allowed to believe either?  How very tolerant of you.

asfriend
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Every time you start to post this type of argument, substitute the religion of Government in your head and see if there is anything that gives you pause.

Quoting mikiemom:

Each person individually decides what is and what is not right for them. Much of organized religioun's so called sins were introduced as ways to CONTROL the population, they aren't really sin or bad.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

If not them, then who? 

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Stop caring what other people are doing. Two gay people happily living their lives has absolutely zero impact on your life and your immotal soul. Live and let live as they say.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I am asking for a real answer from you not the bs of my god tells me it's bad so it is.

What harm will come to you if gay people are allowed to live their lives as loving families?

Quoting asfriend:

You do, or you do not understand that things do not happen in a vacuum?

You can't change parts of society without affecting the whole.

(and I repeat, I don't come from this with any particular religious perspective, other than maybe Karma, myself)

Quoting mikiemom:

But that's just it no-one is forcing you to be gat or participate in gay sexual acts. They are not foricing their morality on you. If you think something is a sin don't do it. Worry about your own soul and stop worrying about everyone else. I fear you are going to be quite surprised in the end.

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting mikiemom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN