Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I just read that Mitt Picked his VP

Supposedly it's Paul Ryan.

This can't be news but I haven't read it anywhere yet.

What should I know about Mr. Ryan?

by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Replies (121-125):
Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 6:29 PM

When I speak about someone specific, I would quote that person directly.  In this case, you say I was talking about you (when I wasn't), I was just quoting  someone else.  I have no idea WHY you would think it was you? 

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Excuse me?  I'm sorry I don't know what in the heck you are talking about.  My assumptions?  I wasn't speaking about you, so what are you talking about? Perhaps, you meant to quote another poster?  I don't know if you meant for your post to turn into this mess, but I guess some posters just like turning it into that.  Isn't that what most posts end up turning into?  A mess.....

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I haven't been following Ryan or what he stands for. You're wrong. I did not create this post for it to turn into this mess. If you look back to the beginning of the post I thanked a few people for their responses and stated that I needed to do my homework.  Piss off with your assumptions.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Thanks :)  Yeah, I pretty know that the ONLY reason why some of the CM on here, say what they say.  Attack, bash, insult & come up with posts like hers is just a way to attack you for having your own opinions.  Then when you don't agree with them, that's when ALL the insults begin. 

This is my post, so if this wasn't about me then you should have been more specific.

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I in no way meant to imply that you snub your nose at panhandlers.  I merely pointed out that like me, and most people, you wouldn't particularly like seeing multitudes of them in the streets, including hungry children, which is most likely what would happen if we took away social welfare programs.   

I agree with you that the welfare should have limits, and I thought alot of them do, but maybe not short enough.  I don't know, because contrary to your assumption I've never actually been on assistance, except for WIC which I recieved for about a year when I had my first child.  I do know that WIC cuts you off when your youngest child turns 5, and only provides for children under 5. 

You do seem pretty condescending to people who haven't studied economics because they have better things to do with the precious little free time they have in their lives--like playing with their children and running a household.  I'll try to educate myself better, Ma'am. 

Quoting LoriKeet:

You make it sound as if I thumb my nose at panhandlers--that I'm better than them.  While I may have succeeded in life, I have by no means forgotten how I started out, and therefore I do volunteer and donate money and material goods to local food banks, women's shelters, at-risk youth groups/programs, and the like. 

However, I NEVER give to strangers on the street...primarily because I don't live/work in the city, and because it's just not a safe thing to do these days, so I prefer to give to the charities and shelters so that WHEN the homeless seek assistance it's there for them.

There is also a HUGE difference between handOUTs and handUPs...handouts are for the perpetually helpless among us, handups are for those who are temporarily down on their luck.  I'm assuming you fall/fell into the latter group.   As far as I'm concerned ALL government programs should be LIMITED and for the sole purpose of "bridging the financial gap" to help make ends meet.  If you can't get yourself and your situation together in 2-3 years (finish school, get sober, acquire gainful employment, etc.) chances are pretty good, that you never will.

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

But if those people weren't getting "handouts" they would be living in the streets and you would have to deal with their panhandling every day, and I don't think you'd like that would you?

Quoting LoriKeet:

Yes, every civilized country does have social services to help their citizens, BUT they also have ENORMOUS tax rates, about 10% of the population the US has, and a fraction of the medical advancements, military and space programs that we have!  

If EVERYONE were to pay their fair share, and I do mean EVERYONE (starting with legal working age people)...then perhaps we could afford to give those who TRULY need government subsidies the help they need.  Popping out children, becoming addicted to drugs, smoking, or alcohol, not educating yourself, being an illegal citizen, is/are NOT a reason(s) to be on the hand-outs list! 

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

You were lucky.  You are a minority.  I completely respect that you pulled yourself up from your bootstraps, but it's not realistic to think that everyone can and WILL do it.  Look, I understand the thinking of "if they don't help themselves it's their fault and why should I help them out?" but do you REALLY want to live in a country where the streets are lined with starving kids panhandling for change?  I'm pretty sure every western, developed country has welfare programs to avoid this.  

Quoting LoriKeet:

...and I am oh so sick of the freaking EXCUSES!!  I grew up dirt poor to a single parent (who didn't even want me), yet I CHOSE to make a better life for myself...and now both my husband and I have realized our "American Dreams." (and of course, we do financially support a number of charities of OUR choosing).

However, when it comes to the "poor kid from the slums" he/she has MORE opportunities to succeed (thanks to quotas and affirmative action policies) than the "trust fund baby" who actually has to compete with other trust fund babies to get ahead.

By the way...how DID the trust fund baby come to be?!  Did God simply betow upon his parents all the riches their hearts desired, or perhaps they WORKED for it, and we able to pass along the fruits of their labors to make a better life for their children?!

My children will be "trust fund babies"  should I make them go live in the slums to teach them a lesson?!  Or should they be allowed to live a nice life because of the sacrifices my husband and I and our parents made?! 

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Oh I am SO SICK of this conservative idealistic bullshit.  We do NOT all have the same opportunities for success.  Technically, yes, we are an "equal opportunity" nation, but it is completely unrealistic to honestly think that a billionaire, who attends the best private schools all his life and has both a college fund AND a trust fund before he's even born, has the EXACT SAME opportunity to succeed as a poor kid from the slums who attends a school that can barely afford books and doesn't give a crap that he's completely illiterate.  Yes, sometimes kids overcome the odds and manage to become successful, but it is hardly a common thing.  

The fact is, a country without social welfare is a country where people starve on the streets.  Taking away their handouts will not motivate the majority of poor people to work harder, it will result in more homeless, more drug dealers, more prostitutes.  Larger, more widespread slums and ghettos and larger gaps between rich and poor.  I don't think anyone wants to live in a country like that. 

Is there one developed country in the world that doesn't have any social welfare programs at all?  Why are we trying to pioneer that?  

I do agree with you on one point though, people DO need to start thinking beyond their immediate bubbles, in terms of wealthy people paying a more equal share of taxes to benefit the country as a whole.  Suck it up and be a goddamn patriot who does his part to help out his fellow American who is less fortunate. 

Quoting LoriKeet:

Ryan has REPEATEDLY said...that if he does NOTHING, NOTHING will be available in just a few short years!! What NEEDS to be done is something drastic so there WILL be SS and government subsidized programs for those who truly need it in the future.

Do nothing, and there will be nothing for our offspring!!  Did you know that when Bush tried to pass his Medicare reform in 2004, he predicted the program would start paying outr more than it took in in 2017..which would lend itself to going bankrupt soon therafter?  Guess what...that already happened in 2011!!   Yay for unsustainable government programs, right?!  People really need to start thinking BEYOND their immediate needs and bubble they live in.

Ryan (as do most conservatives) believe in equal OPPORTUNITY for all, not equal RESULTS!!   You have the opportunities to be as successful as you want...it's your choice not to take advantage of them.

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Thank you.  Plus he wants to cut TRILLIONS from social welfare, which I know conservatives hail, but how will they explain the neccessity of this when children are starving in the streets because their parents can't pay rent or put food on the table and get no assistance?

Quoting littlelamb303:

Paul ryans' budget will allow the 1% more tax breaks.  He will turn medicare into a voucher system, one that is not enough to cover a healthy seniors health care, never mind one who has health issues.  He will also raise the medicare eligibility to age 67.  Please go look up his budget, it is lethal for america.  It seems a lot of moms on here don't have a clue what he is trying to do, that is sad.  Pay attention. You will get old one day and your health will not hold up, bad things happen.  His plan will cost anyone under 55 an extra 6 k a year when you are old (for healthcare)

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Hello! I just quoted you and highlighted the part that I was speaking of, with an explanation.

WAS IT FRICKIN VAGUE? <~~~~ RHETORICAL!

Quoting Naturewoman4:

When I speak about someone specific, I would quote that person directly.  In this case, you say I was talking about you (when I wasn't), I was just quoting  someone else.  I have no idea WHY you would think it was you? 

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Excuse me?  I'm sorry I don't know what in the heck you are talking about.  My assumptions?  I wasn't speaking about you, so what are you talking about? Perhaps, you meant to quote another poster?  I don't know if you meant for your post to turn into this mess, but I guess some posters just like turning it into that.  Isn't that what most posts end up turning into?  A mess.....

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I haven't been following Ryan or what he stands for. You're wrong. I did not create this post for it to turn into this mess. If you look back to the beginning of the post I thanked a few people for their responses and stated that I needed to do my homework.  Piss off with your assumptions.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Thanks :)  Yeah, I pretty know that the ONLY reason why some of the CM on here, say what they say.  Attack, bash, insult & come up with posts like hers is just a way to attack you for having your own opinions.  Then when you don't agree with them, that's when ALL the insults begin. 

This is my post, so if this wasn't about me then you should have been more specific.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I'm sorry VVV, I still don't know what you're talking about.  In the highlighted area you mentioned, it was ME quoting another poster.  Not YOU.  I said in HER POSTS, the person I was quoting & myself, & HER POSTS, NOT YOURS.  Why are you getting so upset?  It was in reference to people that bash, insult in THEIR posts towards other people, that don't share the same opinion. It's NOT about YOU...

I'm sorry if your thread goes in a complete different direction then where you wanted it to go.  That's just the nature of CM.  I'll start a thread 'topic' & people will go and talk about the weather.  What they are eating tonight or the color of their nail polish. 

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Hello! I just quoted you and highlighted the part that I was speaking of, with an explanation.

WAS IT FRICKIN VAGUE? <~~~~ RHETORICAL!

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Naturewoman4:

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Aug. 13, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Obama is going to win ...by a landslide.  He just got the 50+ age bracket, he has the young vote...because the other guy is just a moron that is too godly.

OBAMA 2012

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)