Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A pattern of hate and intolerance in the South? (Updated with more Charts)

I am a firm believer in Correlation does not equal causation. But is anyone else seeing a pattern here?

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Replies (41-50):
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Why the defensiveness based on Chick Fil A? That was one of the least meaningful image out of all of them.

Because everysingle other image was defended using the Bible. So it is absolutely imperative to those causes. When people point to the Bible and say, "It says here we should do this" Then the outcome is related to the Bible and that religion.

Quoting whitleypittman:

Uh, yeah. One, why does the location of Chick-fil-a have anything to do with it? We love fried chicken. Chick-fil-a was started a few towns over from where I live. So no surprise there.
Two, wtf does religion have to do with hate? Babtist are some of the most open minded people (me being a babtist) and accept everyone for who they are. So that map can go.
Maps don't telll anyone anything. Most everyone knows that the south is generally the last to make any kind of cultural move, and, tbh, most of the "racism" that I've seen has not even been white on black. It's been black on white.
I could say more, but I'll hush now before I say something offensive.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting whitleypittman:

Wow, really? Of all things, intolerant is one thing the south is not. We take a lot more shit than most people think.

Do you believe any of the images in this post are inaccurate, or faulty?

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

Jacqalyn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:46 PM
3 moms liked this
You have to remember not every one living in the South were actually raised in the South.
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Having been born and raised in the deep south, I will say that certain ideological principles are held more deeply here, but you can't paint the entire region with the same brush...

With that said, they don't call it the "Bible Belt" for no reason...

LadyByrdNest
by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:47 PM
2 moms liked this

You're not exempt. New Yorkers are known for being rude and unfriendly. lol!! Oh and they talk funny.

Quoting Aslen:

And after looking at the pics, im proud to be a New Yorker!

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:48 PM

The south is known for being backwards isn't it? Btw, I'm an southerner.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry, but is that a typo? Because if you have not been to any northern portion of the U.S., you've only been in the South...

Quoting shortycmlb:

Good for your area. I've lived in SW Arkansas and travelled all over the state, and have never experienced anything but hatred twoards my dh. People blatantly asking if he's legal or if they should call the cops for having a white girl in his vehicle. 

I know racism is everywhere, I'm just saying its seems MUCH more predominant in the South. I've been in a good part the country (except Northern USA), and the most racism seems to be in the south :/ 

Quoting NWP:I

This is why I hate these posts...so full of stereotypes.

It is funny (sad way) that you pick my home state of Arkansas as an example. The town I lived in was very diverse and very educated. There were black families, Asian families, Hispanic families and middle eastern families. Muslims, Jews, Pagans, Christians and many other religions represented. Many of my friends are openly in gay relationships.

When I moved to Long Island, NY, I was shocked at the open racism that was there. Same for New Jersey.

Bigotry can be found in many forms in many places.

As a Southern born educated feminist social liberal, I find these posts sad.

Quoting shortycmlb:

Well duh there is a direct correlation.

Racism is WAY more alive in the South than almost anywhere else. WAY more common.

Example. DH and I took a trip to where I used to live. Town of 300 people. 1 black family, 1 chinese family, 1 hispanic family. None of them lived in town. DH is visibly hispanic. Got maybe 1 or 2 weird looks, but probably because it's been years since I've been there. DEFINATELY didn't get any comments.

You do that in any town in Arkansas, you will get glares, whispers, and at least a quarter of the time you'll get a nasty comment. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:49 PM

o.O

Quoting whitleypittman:

Uh, yeah. One, why does the location of Chick-fil-a have anything to do with it? We love fried chicken. Chick-fil-a was started a few towns over from where I live. So no surprise there.
Two, wtf does religion have to do with hate? Babtist are some of the most open minded people (me being a babtist) and accept everyone for who they are. So that map can go.
Maps don't telll anyone anything. Most everyone knows that the south is generally the last to make any kind of cultural move, and, tbh, most of the "racism" that I've seen has not even been white on black. It's been black on white.
I could say more, but I'll hush now before I say something offensive.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting whitleypittman:

Wow, really? Of all things, intolerant is one thing the south is not. We take a lot more shit than most people think.

Do you believe any of the images in this post are inaccurate, or faulty?

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Are you really pulling the, "You pointing out intolerance/hate is hateful and intolerant"?

I think it is absolutely imperative this issue be at least glanced at. Because it is a repeat of History that has happened many times (People being hateful/intolerant of people based on the bible/religion).

And you would be absolutely wrong. I have no hate for the south or wish to set them aflame (Figuratively obviously) but I think this is an issue people should look at.

Since it keeps reappearing a lot in our country.

Quoting ramonafrog:

Meh... Whatever. I just find this whole post unnecessary and ridiculous... Not to mention, inflammatory and hate-filled. Which if I gather correctly is what your issue with the south is in the first place...

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting ramonafrog:

Oh lawd. Those evil baptists and CFA eaters O.o

Does anyone else think this post is ridiculous?

How is it ridiculous? Because you don't like the image it paints?

I never called Baptist evil. IF that is what you took from looking at the facts. I am sorry.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I would disagree that racism is MUCH more predominant in the South. I have lived there off and on, and up on the East Coast NY area for several decades and can say with certainty that there is a LOT of racism outside of the south.

This is a stereotype.

BTW, one of my BFFs is Vietnamese. She is married to a Jewish man. They have two adopted black children and they all attend my Episcopal church.

This is in Arkansas.

Quoting shortycmlb:

Good for your area. I've lived in SW Arkansas and travelled all over the state, and have never experienced anything but hatred twoards my dh. People blatantly asking if he's legal or if they should call the cops for having a white girl in his vehicle. 

I know racism is everywhere, I'm just saying its seems MUCH more predominant in the South. I've been in a good part the country (except Northern USA), and the most racism seems to be in the south :/ 

Quoting NWP:I

This is why I hate these posts...so full of stereotypes.

It is funny (sad way) that you pick my home state of Arkansas as an example. The town I lived in was very diverse and very educated. There were black families, Asian families, Hispanic families and middle eastern families. Muslims, Jews, Pagans, Christians and many other religions represented. Many of my friends are openly in gay relationships.

When I moved to Long Island, NY, I was shocked at the open racism that was there. Same for New Jersey.

Bigotry can be found in many forms in many places.

As a Southern born educated feminist social liberal, I find these posts sad.

Quoting shortycmlb:

Well duh there is a direct correlation.

Racism is WAY more alive in the South than almost anywhere else. WAY more common.

Example. DH and I took a trip to where I used to live. Town of 300 people. 1 black family, 1 chinese family, 1 hispanic family. None of them lived in town. DH is visibly hispanic. Got maybe 1 or 2 weird looks, but probably because it's been years since I've been there. DEFINATELY didn't get any comments.

You do that in any town in Arkansas, you will get glares, whispers, and at least a quarter of the time you'll get a nasty comment. 

Nice Widdle Puppy

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Aug. 12, 2012 at 11:52 PM
4 moms liked this

I like cake.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN