Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Christian Republicans, Have you forgotten what the Bible says about the poor?

Posted by   + Show Post

Prov. 19:17 When you help the poor you are lending to the Lord--and he pays wonderful interest on your loan!

1 John 3:17 But if someone who is supposed to be a Christian has money enough to live well, and sees a brother in need, and won't help him--how can God's love be within him ?

Prov. 14:31 Anyone who oppresses the poor is insulting God who made them. To help the poor is to honor God.

Prov. 28:27 If you give to the poor, your needs will be supplied! But a curse upon those who close their eyes to poverty.

Why are we (Christians) justified in making laws concerning abortion, gay marriage, etc based on what our Bible teaches... but completely turn our heads to the scriptures about helping the poor when making decisions to cut government assistance?

by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Replies (191-200):
survivorinohio
by René on Aug. 14, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I think BM may be committing fraud.  I also think that the gov is still the least biased source.

On a personal not I am sorry you are having tough time. 

Quoting TheStepMonster:

Nope.  

Christ did say that we were to give up the worldly things, but it's still God who blesses us for doing as we're called.  

I'm sure it does happen, just as it happens that the government effs things up too.  You don't think the government has biases?  Open your eyes.  How bout a father and step mother doing everything they can to bring up a child with no assistance from BM.  SM goes to work part time (from FT) to be able to be at home before and after school with her SD.  This actually creates an INCREASE in take home pay.  But, things are still tight.  BF and SM have no car payment (both cars are paid for), live in a tiny cracker box house so they can send DD to a decent school, and still run tight every month.  There are no extras in this home.  

But do THEY qualify for assistance??  Nope they sure don't.  But guess who does.  BM.  That's right - she receives food stamps for the 3 kids that she doesn't have custody of, doesn't pay CS for, and doesn't get but 4 days a month.  She gets over $500/month in food!  Meanwhile, BF and SM are making do on a grocery budget sometimes of $50/week.  Legal?  Yup - sure is.  Foodstamps don't follow the children - it's first come first served.  We don't qualify, even though we work hard, just need a little help from time to time, so she gets to keep the benefits by default.  

When BF first got custody he tried to convince BM to file for SSDI, to help SD. THOSE benefits would follow SD.  

The government has biases too - it would rather help those that would rather stay down where they are than help those that are truly trying to get somewhere in life and just need a little help from time to time.  And like you've said - I've seen it, lived it, so yes it happens and "that's all the evidence I need".

Quoting survivorinohio:

First, you are quoting old Testament to verify Christs teachings?

Second, I am glad that locally you do not see the same thing i do but that doesnt make what I say untrue.   The fact that it does happen with any frequency at all is proof for me that the monumental task of feedng the poor needs to be accomplished by a source with as little bias as possible and in our society I feel its best done by the government.

Quoting TheStepMonster:

Quoting survivorinohio:

I seem to remember Christ saying that we were to put his will first and leave all worldly things behind to follow him.  I dont think gathering weath is a value He passed on to us.  But this attitude is exactly why the government needs to be in charge of feeding the poor.   Actually, this isn't true, we are rewarded for being good stewards of the money and resources we have with more resources and money.  The Bible talks more about money, wealth and riches than any other one topic.  Christians are warned time and time again to use their riches for His glory, not to be miserly, to give to the poor, to tithe, etc.  But what it DOESN'T say is that you shouldn't have wealth.

"As for every man to whom God has given riches and wealth, He has also empowered him to eat from them and to receive his reward and rejoice in his labor; this is the gift of God" (Ecclesiastes 5:19).

Food banks at many churches are reserved for members only for instance or have strings attached like attending a worship service. The majority of churches in this country are pretty exclusionary.  When feeding people out of the goodness of your heart you cannot/should not use that to shove the gospel down the throat of the person you are helping, or refuse to help those who do not believe and do not wish to take part in worship.. I'm not sure where you live, however, I go to a large church in my area, and work at a different church that is in constant contact with about 10 other churches in just my little area when it comes to financial assistance, and my sister's church works with several other churches in our area - NONE of which are exclusionary.  Food banks and assistance are NOT for members only.  NONE have an attendance requirement.  

Quoting EastCoastMom78:

We do already? We give them food at food banks, we donate clothes, etc. Does that not count?  That doesn't mean we have to go broke supporting them? They are suppose to help themselves too.

Quoting mommychelle01:

My assumption that Christians are supposed to provide for the poor is based off of what the Bible says.. you know, what us Christians are supposed to live by.

Quoting EastCoastMom78:

Quoting mommychelle01:

And this is only your assumption that the majority of those on welfare are lazy and expecting a free ride.

Quoting EastCoastMom78:

I know plenty of Christians who help the poor, donate to the poor. We have even sent missionaries to Ecuador one of the poorest places in the world to help them build a school, give them medicine and food. I think we are doing our part. It doesn't say in the bible we are suppose to give the poor a free ride in life.  They need to help themselves too by getting educated and trying to provide for themselves too. I find it sad and pathetic we Christians get all the blame for everything. It isn't our fault everyone  who is poor is poor. Some people are plain out lazy and think everyone should give them a free ride in life.

Well your assumption is that being a Christian is suppose to provide everything to the poor. Way too funny. People can work for a living like everyone else does. Why is that we have to give all of our hard working  money to people who just want to be lazy and not do anything to make their situation in life better? 

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

survivorinohio
by René on Aug. 14, 2012 at 11:13 AM

For the record I was fairly fundamental and conservative when I came to cm.  It was honestly the hate I saw from conservatives that has swayed me toward the left.  I would say more center but I can go a bit left at times.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Element5
by Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
How about Christian democrats? It's a fact that conservative give more to help the less fortunate then liberals and democrats!

Did anyone else notice that almost all the post on this site is pro democrats and liberals and trying to have republicans and conservative feel guilty?! Why is that?! Being a republican or a conservative is not illegal and yet the other side is almost making it feel like a viral disease!!
Teachandrun4
by Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 11:20 AM

"I know a lot of very giving Christians, too. But I also know a lot that sit on a high horse and look down on those receiving government assistance."

The church should feed the poor, I am sure if the church feeds the poor they will not get T-Bone steak every night.  The Bible also said if a man does not work and is able he should not eat.  Government and Church should take care of old, young and disabled everyone else should work.  The Bible does not say do not correct your brother when he is in error. 

Teachandrun4
by Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 11:23 AM

"The government has biases too - it would rather help those that would rather stay down where they are than help those that are truly trying to get somewhere in life and just need a little help from time to time. And like you've said - I've seen it, lived it, so yes it happens and "that's all the evidence I need".

I agree with this a good government would also help those that are trying to help themselves!  This is where you House of Representative and Senate member counts.  So far both parties are representing themselves and not the people.

TheStepMonster
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Sadly - she's not committing fraud.  They know she's not CP.  With foodstamps, it doesn't matter. 

Quoting survivorinohio:

I think BM may be committing fraud.  I also think that the gov is still the least biased source.

On a personal not I am sorry you are having tough time. 

Quoting TheStepMonster:

Nope.  

Christ did say that we were to give up the worldly things, but it's still God who blesses us for doing as we're called.  

I'm sure it does happen, just as it happens that the government effs things up too.  You don't think the government has biases?  Open your eyes.  How bout a father and step mother doing everything they can to bring up a child with no assistance from BM.  SM goes to work part time (from FT) to be able to be at home before and after school with her SD.  This actually creates an INCREASE in take home pay.  But, things are still tight.  BF and SM have no car payment (both cars are paid for), live in a tiny cracker box house so they can send DD to a decent school, and still run tight every month.  There are no extras in this home.  

But do THEY qualify for assistance??  Nope they sure don't.  But guess who does.  BM.  That's right - she receives food stamps for the 3 kids that she doesn't have custody of, doesn't pay CS for, and doesn't get but 4 days a month.  She gets over $500/month in food!  Meanwhile, BF and SM are making do on a grocery budget sometimes of $50/week.  Legal?  Yup - sure is.  Foodstamps don't follow the children - it's first come first served.  We don't qualify, even though we work hard, just need a little help from time to time, so she gets to keep the benefits by default.  

When BF first got custody he tried to convince BM to file for SSDI, to help SD. THOSE benefits would follow SD.  

The government has biases too - it would rather help those that would rather stay down where they are than help those that are truly trying to get somewhere in life and just need a little help from time to time.  And like you've said - I've seen it, lived it, so yes it happens and "that's all the evidence I need".

Quoting survivorinohio:

First, you are quoting old Testament to verify Christs teachings?

Second, I am glad that locally you do not see the same thing i do but that doesnt make what I say untrue.   The fact that it does happen with any frequency at all is proof for me that the monumental task of feedng the poor needs to be accomplished by a source with as little bias as possible and in our society I feel its best done by the government.

Quoting TheStepMonster:

Quoting survivorinohio:

I seem to remember Christ saying that we were to put his will first and leave all worldly things behind to follow him.  I dont think gathering weath is a value He passed on to us.  But this attitude is exactly why the government needs to be in charge of feeding the poor.   Actually, this isn't true, we are rewarded for being good stewards of the money and resources we have with more resources and money.  The Bible talks more about money, wealth and riches than any other one topic.  Christians are warned time and time again to use their riches for His glory, not to be miserly, to give to the poor, to tithe, etc.  But what it DOESN'T say is that you shouldn't have wealth.

"As for every man to whom God has given riches and wealth, He has also empowered him to eat from them and to receive his reward and rejoice in his labor; this is the gift of God" (Ecclesiastes 5:19).

Food banks at many churches are reserved for members only for instance or have strings attached like attending a worship service. The majority of churches in this country are pretty exclusionary.  When feeding people out of the goodness of your heart you cannot/should not use that to shove the gospel down the throat of the person you are helping, or refuse to help those who do not believe and do not wish to take part in worship.. I'm not sure where you live, however, I go to a large church in my area, and work at a different church that is in constant contact with about 10 other churches in just my little area when it comes to financial assistance, and my sister's church works with several other churches in our area - NONE of which are exclusionary.  Food banks and assistance are NOT for members only.  NONE have an attendance requirement.  

Quoting EastCoastMom78:

We do already? We give them food at food banks, we donate clothes, etc. Does that not count?  That doesn't mean we have to go broke supporting them? They are suppose to help themselves too.

Quoting mommychelle01:

My assumption that Christians are supposed to provide for the poor is based off of what the Bible says.. you know, what us Christians are supposed to live by.

Quoting EastCoastMom78:

Quoting mommychelle01:

And this is only your assumption that the majority of those on welfare are lazy and expecting a free ride.

Quoting EastCoastMom78:

I know plenty of Christians who help the poor, donate to the poor. We have even sent missionaries to Ecuador one of the poorest places in the world to help them build a school, give them medicine and food. I think we are doing our part. It doesn't say in the bible we are suppose to give the poor a free ride in life.  They need to help themselves too by getting educated and trying to provide for themselves too. I find it sad and pathetic we Christians get all the blame for everything. It isn't our fault everyone  who is poor is poor. Some people are plain out lazy and think everyone should give them a free ride in life.

Well your assumption is that being a Christian is suppose to provide everything to the poor. Way too funny. People can work for a living like everyone else does. Why is that we have to give all of our hard working  money to people who just want to be lazy and not do anything to make their situation in life better? 

grey ribbon

During the month of May, I wear my gray for Brain Cancer Awareness in memory of my momma (BM).  She fought her battle from May, 1988 - October, 1998.  Love and miss you much.

jewjewbee
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Element5:

How about Christian democrats? It's a fact that conservative give more to help the less fortunate then liberals and democrats!

Did anyone else notice that almost all the post on this site is pro democrats and liberals and trying to have republicans and conservative feel guilty?! Why is that?! Being a republican or a conservative is not illegal and yet the other side is almost making it feel like a viral disease!!

I find it as no surprise.
the website encourages left leaning ideas. the conservatives tend to be deleted or discouraged more. to the point that more than half simply don't post anymore.
jewjewbee
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 12:01 PM
Quoting survivorinohio:

For the record I was fairly fundamental and conservative when I came to cm.  It was honestly the hate I saw from conservatives that has swayed me toward the left.  I would say more center but I can go a bit left at
times.

If find that hard to believe, coming from Ohio and reading your past posts.
Element5
by Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting jewjewbee:

I agree and it is quite sad! People really are just being fed some one else's agenda! It's like almost brainwashing ... Or like cattle.. Gather everyone and to the slaughter house..few will escape after understanding!
survivorinohio
by René on Aug. 14, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Quoting jewjewbee:

Quoting survivorinohio:

For the record I was fairly fundamental and conservative when I came to cm.  It was honestly the hate I saw from conservatives that has swayed me toward the left.  I would say more center but I can go a bit left at
times.

If find that hard to believe, coming from Ohio and reading your past posts.

Well believe what you will.  When I came here it was 2007 and Great Debates was the group I spent all my time in.  its called something else now but search me in 2007 then tell me.  I really wasnt very well educated politically back then but I was told regularly that I was conservative.  Not to say that I am politically educated now lol but I am actively learning:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN