Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Shooting at Family Research Council

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM
  • 55 Replies
My short people have taken over my computer. Can someone tell me what's going on?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katy_kay08
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Security guard shot at Family Research Council in downtown D.C.

A security guard at the Family Research Council was shot and wounded Wednesday morning after a scuffle with a man who expressed disagreement with the group’s conservative views in the lobby of the group’s headquarters in downtown Washington, authorities said.

D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier said the shooter walked into the lobby of the building at about 10:45 and was confronted by the security guard as if the guard were asking him where he was going.

The man then took out a gun and opened fire on the guard, Lanier said. The guard and others wrestled the man to the ground, disarmed him and waited for police, she said. The guard was then taken to the hospital and is in stable condition, the chief said. FBI officials said the guard was shot in the arm.

“The security guard here is a hero, as far as I’m concerned,” Lanier said. ”He did his job. The person never made it past the front.”

The shooter is in FBI custody and has not yet been charged, authorities said. A law enforcement official said at one point in the scuffle, the shooter expressed views that differed from those of the Family Research Council. The official also said the shooter was carrying a bag that had a Chick-Fil-A bag inside. Chick-Fil-A’s chief executive has expressed similar views against same-sex marriage as the Research Council.

Authorities did not identify the shooter or the security guard. They also would not say what kind of gun the shooter used or whether the security guard was armed. They still are uncertain of a motive, they said.

The Family Research Council is a conservative organization that deals in issues of faith, family and freedom, according to its Web site. The site says the organization is against abortion and euthanasia and considers homosexuality to be a sin.

“The police are investigating this incident,” FRC President Tony Perkins said in a statement. “Our first concern is with our colleague who was shot today. Our concern is for him and his family.”

A spokesman from the FRC declined further comment just before noon Wednesday.

James McJunkin, the head of the FBI’s Washington Field Office, said authorities do not yet know why the person entered the building or why he started shooting.

“We don’t know enough about him or his circumstances to determine what his connection is to this group [the research council] or his mental state, or what he was doing or thinking of doing,” McJunkin said. “So we’re going to try to sort this all out, pull the evidence together, do all the interviews we can.”

McJunkin and Lanier said they did not yet know whether the FBI or the D.C. Police would take the lead on the shooting investigation.

“The possibility is that it could involve circumstances that it could involve a federal crime that would be investigated by the FBI,” McJunkin said.

They are investigating whether the shooting was an act of domestic terrorism, a hate crime or something else.

The building is not far from the Verizon Center and the Gallery Place Metro station in one of the busiest places in the city. It is near several museums, restaurants and shops and was teeming with tourists on Wednesday.

Authorities advised drivers to use H and E Streets during the police investigation.

This item has been updated.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/crime-scene/post/morning-shooting-in-northwest-dc/2012/08/15/845fe926-e6ec-11e1-8f62-58260e3940a0_blog.html

LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 4:30 PM
3 moms liked this

Guess that ends the argument that only conservatives are violent and own guns. Thank god no one was killed.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Aug. 15, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Thank you, I just recovered my computer and hadn't had a chance to look anything up yet.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Aug. 15, 2012 at 4:34 PM
I'm glad the security guard is going to OK.
I am so tired of shootings. WTH are people thinking??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazyLife1996
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this
New day same type of crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I agree...I just don't get it.  

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

I'm glad the security guard is going to OK.
I am so tired of shootings. WTH are people thinking??

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 5:26 PM
2 moms liked this

AWFUL!!!

What the heck is wrong with people? The whole world has gone mad.

asfriend
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 5:37 PM
3 moms liked this
For 40 years we have been on a path where society as a whole has placed less and less value on morals, values, traditions, and even life itself, and then somehow we are surprised when members of the same society individually do the same.
This is our destiny for the foreseeable future, until some real choices are made.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SLTmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Ah, yes. The solution to disagreement is always, "shoot the dissenters"......./sigh.

"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"  Gerry Spence

lga1965
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 5:40 PM
3 moms liked this
We need to admit that it is too easy for mentally ill people to get guns. And there are too many gun lovers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)