Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Julian Assange/Bradley Manning......would you do this? (PIOGs)

Posted by   + Show Post

DH came home from work yesterday all in a rage. His coworkers (who are staunch conservatives and make him nuts all day with their anti-liberal crap) were discussing Julian Assange and Bradley Manning yesterday. Of course none of his coworkers support either and were saying about how they both deserved whatever they got from the government. So DH came home and spent hours looking at information about them. At 11 p.m., he informs me that he is going to donate money to WikiLeaks and to the defense fund of Bradley Manning.

Now, while I think both causes are not without merit, I have a lot of reservations about agreeing to donate money to either. Because of the politics associated with it, I am worried we'll end up on some kind of government watch list, which would not only affect DH (he's not a US citizen), but also our son. I tried to explain this to DH, and he just refused to hear me and started a huge fight over it. 

What do you all think? Would you donate money, or would you have similar concerns about it as I do?

by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 8:08 AM
Replies (21-30):
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 9:04 PM

clapping

Quoting collectivecow:

Are you going to let fear dictate what you do? Or let your choices be the one to speak for themselves?

This is part of the actual problem: If you are AFRAID to speak up for something you believe in, doesn't it mean that the government already has you under their thumb?

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 1:45 AM
Then they should get into add much trouble as scooter Libby and Cheney got in when the identity of an active CIA agent was accidentally in purpose leaked by the white house. People did die because of that but they likely weren't Americans and that is what presidential pardons are for.

Quoting cjsbmom:

That is another one of my issues with this whole thing. Yes, some things that shouldn't have happened were exposed. But in the process of doing so, they put the lives of many innocent people at risk. That makes them no better than the government they were hoping to expose.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

As the wife of a Marine I would NEVER donate to them or their defense. Releasing some of the info that they did put my husband and his comrades in more danger.

Screw Them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Then they should get into add much trouble as scooter Libby and Cheney got in when the identity of an active CIA agent was accidentally in purpose leaked by the white house. People did die because of that but they likely weren't Americans and that is what presidential pardons are for.

Quoting cjsbmom:

That is another one of my issues with this whole thing. Yes, some things that shouldn't have happened were exposed. But in the process of doing so, they put the lives of many innocent people at risk. That makes them no better than the government they were hoping to expose.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

As the wife of a Marine I would NEVER donate to them or their defense. Releasing some of the info that they did put my husband and his comrades in more danger.

Screw Them.

Well, you have that all wrong.  No one died.  Valerie Plame, was a CIA agent with a desk job in VA.  She was not out in the field.  It was a political witch hunt by the dems.  It was actually Richard Armitage of the State Dept of dropped her name in a conversation with a columnist....who then leaked it.  They went after Scooter because his account of a conversation with Tim Russert, host of Meet the Press, didn't jive with Russert's, a well known liberal dem, and it would be an uphill battle to go after Armitage.  Bush commuted his sentence after he spent 30 months in jail...so he didn't get away with anything.

How come the DOJ isn't using the "Scooter Libby Law" against the people in the Obama admin who have leaked all kinds of secret info that was reported on in an article that was written by the New York Times.

grandma B

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 4:34 AM
I'm sure it has something to do with all of the liberals around. They hate America.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Screw Them.

Well, you have that all wrong.  No one died.  Valerie Plame, was a CIA agent with a desk job in VA.  She was not out in the field.  It was a political witch hunt by the dems.  It was actually Richard Armitage of the State Dept of dropped her name in a conversation with a columnist....who then leaked it.  They went after Scooter because his account of a conversation with Tim Russert, host of Meet the Press, didn't jive with Russert's, a well known liberal dem, and it would be an uphill battle to go after Armitage.  Bush commuted his sentence after he spent 30 months in jail...so he didn't get away with anything.

How come the DOJ isn't using the "Scooter Libby Law" against the people in the Obama admin who have leaked all kinds of secret info that was reported on in an article that was written by the New York Times.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Aug. 19, 2012 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

It's not fear. I disagree with what he wants to donate money to, so I'm just not agreeing to it. Would either of you be comfortable with your spouse/SO donating money in your name to a cause you didn't support? I highly doubt it.

Quoting annabl1970:

clapping

Quoting collectivecow:

Are you going to let fear dictate what you do? Or let your choices be the one to speak for themselves?

This is part of the actual problem: If you are AFRAID to speak up for something you believe in, doesn't it mean that the government already has you under their thumb?

NutHouseMomma
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 7:45 AM
Here's my paranoid opinion: all funds can be traced. In that respect, so can your banking 'information or other personal information. In high profile or extremely controversial cases, they have people that monitor any ties to people being prosecuted. I would not want that nagging on my conscious, because the possibilities are endless.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I dont like Assange at all, but totally agree with his stance on the right to inform the world about shit that goes down in any government.

he has been TOTALLY framed.

I still wouldnt donate to either of them....they have enough money and rich people supporting him.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Anything political...even if I didnt agree.  It would not bother me if he did. 

Quoting cjsbmom:

It's not fear. I disagree with what he wants to donate money to, so I'm just not agreeing to it. Would either of you be comfortable with your spouse/SO donating money in your name to a cause you didn't support? I highly doubt it.

Quoting annabl1970:

clapping

Quoting collectivecow:

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:38 AM

they didnt put anyone at risk...it was all post operative shit posted.  The US government just loved to play this card so that anyone who didnt READ the postings would think it was all true.

there were numerous postings in this forum alone that showed the ACTUAL wikileaks postings debunking the "at risk" bullshit.  No one was interested in the real story...just playing the blame game.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Screw Them.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM

"while I think both causes are not without merit, I have a lot of reservations about agreeing to donate money to either. Because of the politics associated with it, I am worried we'll end up on some kind of government watch list, which would not only affect DH (he's not a US citizen), but also our son."

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting annabl1970:

clapping

Quoting collectivecow:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN