Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Florida Teacher Soaks Autistic Kids Crayons in Hot Sauce

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:10 PM
  • 73 Replies
1 mom liked this

A Florida judge sided with a special needs teacher who allegedly used hot sauce to stop an autistic student from eating art supplies and recommended the school district reinstate the woman's job.

Lillian Gomez was fired from her job at Sunrise Elementary Schoolin Kissimmee, Fla., in February after school officials found out that Gomez had allegedly put jumbo-sized Crayons in a cup and soaked them for days in hot sauce before moving them to a bag that was labeled with the student's name.

The school spent more than $50,000 in attorney's fees litigating the case, according to ABC News' Orlando affiliate WFTV.

Gomez will not receive back pay and the ultimate decision of whether she will get her job back rests in the hands of the school board.

Todd Cinetti, a parent of a student at the school, said he was astounded the judge recommended Gomez return to the classroom.

"That's ridiculous," he said. " Maybe she shouldn't work with children. Maybe she should find another career."

The former teacher's attorney, Thomas Egan, said his client was only trying to help her student.

"I think she made a bad judgment in the way she went about it," he said. "But her purpose was good."

Gomez' case is not the first in hot sauce punishment.

An Alaska mother of six was found guilty of child abuse for forcing her son to drink hot sauce and take cold showers on a taped segment of the "Dr. Phil" show.

The woman, Jessica Beagley, was convicted of misdemeanor child abuse.

In 2009, a Miami teacher was convicted of abuse after she allowed a special needs student to drink a soda laced with hot sauce.

Agree or disagree with the Judge's ruling?

by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:16 PM

IMO the teacher should have shared her idea with the administration and perhaps the parents before doing it. I don't know what happened, or why she believed that the hot sauce would be aversive. I can see why the parents were pissed. I want to know if anyone other than the teacher knew about her plan. Her intentions matter. Did she intend to cause this child harm, or prevent him from eating his crayons? I'll never know.

PestPatti
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:24 PM
2 moms liked this

All I can say is Florida is whacked.

My sister in law babysits an autistic young girl.  She was at a birthday party this summer for my neice.  I noticed the girl take all the paper off of an entire box of crayons.   Very methodically with her teeth.  

I think soaking kids crayons in hot sauce is cruel.  But that's me.

LadyBugMom09
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:27 PM
8 moms liked this
Do hot sauce companies need to start putting a "Not intended for punishment of children" label on their bottles.... smh.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:28 PM
7 moms liked this

I think the judge should be hot sauced for bad judgement and the sorry ass teacher needs to have her tampons soaked in hot sauce for a few days before use.

Zimmerchild
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:31 PM
2 moms liked this

I think the judge is an idiot. Autistic children need to be handled differently then non autistic children, soaking something in hot sauce for DAYS and then giving them to the child knowing that they might eat it. Appalling. I'm the mother of a child who is autistic, and if a teacher have ever done this to her, I would be the one the judge would be sentencing for assaulting the teacher with hot sauce.

PestPatti
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Zimmerchild:

I think the judge is an idiot. Autistic children need to be handled differently then non autistic children, soaking something in hot sauce for DAYS and then giving them to the child knowing that they might eat it. Appalling. I'm the mother of a child who is autistic, and if a teacher have ever done this to her, I would be the one the judge would be sentencing for assaulting the teacher with hot sauce.

I don't think teachers should be soaking anyone's crayons in hot sauce.  Autism or not.  That's just wrong.  

Zimmerchild
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Quoting PestPatti:

Quoting Zimmerchild:

I don't think teachers should be soaking anyone's crayons in hot sauce.  Autism or not.  That's just wrong.  

Oh, I agree with you. I just find it appalling that people do these things and think they are an affective way to teach a special needs child. It's even worse that people in our time now continue to do these things, that are clearly abuse, to children and people and even more so that it's still happening to people with handicaps. It just makes me want to cry.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM

frustrated

1Giovanni
by Becca on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this

There is many issues about using hot suace. One thing is if they touched the crayon then rubbed their eyes, that would burn like crazy. Some children really have issues with hot stuff that could cause some sever problems for them.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:07 AM

BUMP

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)