Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Open mouth, insert foot: 'Legitimate rape' victims rarely get pregnant

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:07 PM
  • 57 Replies

Open mouth, insert foot: 'Legitimate rape' victims rarely get pregnant because ‘the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down,’ says Missouri Republican Todd Akin

Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.) has the most unique take on female biology since Newt Gingrich said female soldiers have problems “staying in a ditch for thirty days because they get infections.”

Speaking to KTVI-TV, Akin justified his opposition to abortion for rape victims by explaining that pregnancy through rape is “really rare.”

“If it’s a legitimate rape,” he said, “the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

He said his understanding of the issue came from “doctors,” though he did not specify what kind of doctors – or what, exactly, constitutes “legitimate rape.”

These previously unknown biological defenses are apparently not foolproof, though.

“Let’s assume that maybe that didn’t work,” Akin said. “I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.”

Akin, a six-term Congressman, is seeking to unseat incumbent Democratic Senator Claire McCaskill in November.

After his interview made the news Sunday, McCaskill tweeted, "As a woman & former prosecutor who handled hundreds of rape cases, I'm stunned by Rep. Akin's comments about victims this AM."

Talking Points Memo highlighted his earlier comment that he would like to ban the morning-after pill because he believes it is “a form of abortion, and I think we just shouldn’t have abortion in this country,” and his concerns that a 1991 anti-marital rape law in Missouri might be used “in a real messy divorce as a tool and a legal weapon to beat up on the husband.”

by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SLTmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:09 PM
2 moms liked this
A way to shut the whole thing down......wow. Didn't know my body could stop ovuLating on demand...::eyeroll::

Idiot
Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Idiotic and embarrassing.   

Mommyof2114
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM
What a jerk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illegallyblonde
by Lawyerupbeeches on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM
He sounds like a real solid genius.

*gag*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

going crazy

MyJaidon
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Did I miss a bio class or something? Lord Jesus.
mem82
by Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:12 PM
2 moms liked this

face meet palm

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Ugh, his brain is raped, he is nuthead

_Kissy_
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Does he have experience with this
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 5:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I hope the incombant takes that little gift from Akin and plasters the tv, radio, and newspapers with it.  What a freakin moron.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN