Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

veteran detained after facebook posts! **edit update on veteran**

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:31 AM
  • 74 Replies

. veteran detained after strident Facebook postsAssociated PressBy LARRY O'DELL | Associated Press - 2 hrs 3 mins agoRICHMOND, Va. (AP) - A former Marine involuntarily detained for psychiatric evaluation for posting strident anti-government messages on Facebook has received an outpouring of support from people who say authorities are trampling on his First Amendment rights.

Brandon J. Raub, 26, has been in custody since FBI, Secret Service agents and police in Virginia's Chesterfield County questioned him Thursday evening about what they said were ominous posts talking about a coming revolution. In one message earlier this month according to authorities, Raub wrote: "Sharpen my axe; I'm here to sever heads."

Police - acting under a state law that allows emergency, temporary psychiatric commitments upon the recommendation of a mental health professional - took Raub to the John Randolph Medical Center in Hopewell. He was not charged with any crime.

A Virginia-based civil liberties group, The Rutherford Institute, dispatched one of its attorneys to the hospital to represent Raub at a hearing Monday. A judge ordered Raub detained for another month, Rutherford executive director John Whitehead said.

"For government officials to not only arrest Brandon Raub for doing nothing more than exercising his First Amendment rights but to actually force him to undergo psychological evaluations and detain him against his will goes against every constitutional principle this country was founded upon," Whitehead said.

Raub's mother, Cathleen Thomas, said by telephone that the government had overstepped its bounds.

"The bottom line is his freedom of speech has been violated," she said.

Thomas said her son, who served tours as a combat engineer in Iraq and Afghanistan, is "concerned about all the wars we've experienced" and believes the U.S. government was complicit in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. One of his Facebook posts, she said, pictured the gaping hole in the Pentagon and asked "where's the plane?"

Whitehead said he found nothing alarming in Raub's social media commentaries. "The posts I read that supposedly were of concern were libertarian-type posts I see all the time," he said.

The big concern, Whitehead said, is whether government officials are monitoring citizens' private Facebook pages and detaining people with whom they disagree.

Dee Rybiski, an FBI spokeswoman in Richmond, said there was no Facebook snooping by her agency.

"We received quite a few complaints about what were perceived as threatening posts," she said. "Given the circumstances with the things that have gone on in the country with some of these mass shootings, it would be horrible for law enforcement not to pay attention to complaints."

Whitehead said some of the posts in question were made on a closed Facebook page that Raub had recently created so he questioned whether anyone from the public would have complained about them.

"Support Brandon Raub" Facebook pages have drawn significant interest, and other Internet sites had numerous comments from people outraged by the veteran's detention.

Raub's supporters characterized the detention as an arrest, complaining he was handcuffed and whisked away in a police cruiser without being served a warrant or read his rights. But authorities say it wasn't an arrest because Raub doesn't face criminal charges.

Col. Thierry Dupuis, the county police chief, said Raub was taken into custody upon the recommendation of mental health crisis intervention workers. He said the action was taken under the state's emergency custody statute, which allows a magistrate to order the civil detention and psychiatric evaluation of a person who is considered potentially dangerous.

He said Raub was handcuffed because he resisted officers' attempts to take him into custody.

___

Follow Larry O'Dell on Twitter: http://twitter.com/LarryOatAP

how does everyone feel about this? for me personally its hard bc i see both sides my husbands struggles w/ ptsd and he has said something in the past like this but i could never force him to get help (He did go on his own eventually though)...that what the va always said...curious on how everyone feels about this...i see both sides...and i m new on this group for the most part...so hello also:)

HE WAS RELEASED!!!

Judge Orders Release of Detained Marine Veteran

The Alex Jones Channel Alex Jones Show podcast Prison Planet TV Infowars.com Twitter Alex Jones' Facebook Infowars store

WTVR
Thursday, August 23rd, 2012

HOPEWELL, Va. (WTVR) - A Hopewell circuit court judge has ordered that a Marine veteran detained over anti-government Facebook posts be released from a psychiatric hospital.

CBS 6 News' Catie Beck said the judge dismissed the case Thursday against Brandon Raub. The judge said the original petition for Raub's detention contained no facts. In other words, there was no information on why Raub was being held - and the judge deemed this violated his civil liberties.

As a result, the judge ruled law enforcement has no grounds to hold Raub.

Beck said the judge is in the process of writing an order for Raub's release. He is expected to be released from a the hospital in Salem, Virginia Thursday afternoon.

by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 5:08 AM
2 moms liked this
I also see both sides. I had to re-read to see is he was still active. Since he is no longer in the military, he is free to say what he wishes. If he were still in the military, he has a code he has to go by.
But with his apparent PTSD, I believe it is in his best interest to be admitted.
My DH also has PTSD. Thank God he hasnt had an episode in over a year.
TheStepMonster
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 6:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I am from the area this is happening in - I live about 5 miles from the hospital he's being detained at.

A few things -

1.  There is a very active Patriots group in this area - Brandon was a member.  http://www.wst-chester.com/  Many of their beliefs are things he was talking about on his FB. 

2.  His FB is active, and open.  Some of his posts were a little disturbing.  OK - a LOT disturbing, especially the one "Sharpen up my axe, I'm here to sever heads" - ESPECIALLY in context with the rest of his posts about being there to lead a revolution.  Now, the sharpen up my axe comment is a lyric from Swollen Members "Bring Me Down"; however, in other places where he quotes others, he does so correctly. 

3.  I have friends and family who are also involved with the Patriots - I don't believe this to be PTSD, honestly.  Of course, I'm not a doctor...however...this particular group of Patriots especially, are rabid in their beliefs about the government.  MANY MANY MANY of the things that Brandon (almost all) has posted on his FB I've heard from others who share in the Patriots beliefs - who haven't been involved in military action. 

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

I also see both sides. I had to re-read to see is he was still active. Since he is no longer in the military, he is free to say what he wishes. If he were still in the military, he has a code he has to go by.
But with his apparent PTSD, I believe it is in his best interest to be admitted.
My DH also has PTSD. Thank God he hasnt had an episode in over a year.

grey ribbon

During the month of May, I wear my gray for Brain Cancer Awareness in memory of my momma (BM).  She fought her battle from May, 1988 - October, 1998.  Love and miss you much.

FrogSalad
by Sooze on Aug. 21, 2012 at 6:42 AM
6 moms liked this

And if he went off the deep end and hurt someone, people would be screaming about how he wrote all the stuff on FB and no one did anything.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:18 AM

So now freedom of speech is a terrorist action. Sorry but asking where is the hole does not denote mental illness. I also wonder are they going to haul everyone in that reposts such messages or only military. If it is only military then it is completely unconstitutional. 

ChunkyMonkey25
by New Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:20 AM
Better safe than sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheStepMonster
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:29 AM

If you search on FB for his name his FB is open - need middle initial to find it. 

Go back to see some of his postings in July and earlier...

If you are my friend, you deserve to know the truth. This world is secretly run by a shadow organization of people who among other things enjoy raping children. Some of leaders were involved with the bombing of the twin towers. It was a sacrifice and a complete inside job. Also the Bush's are very sick twisted problems. I believe they have a secret Castle in Colorado where they have been raping and sacrificing children for many years. Think I'm crazy? Think again.

DixieDarlin76
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:35 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting stormcris:

So now freedom of speech is a terrorist action. Sorry but asking where is the hole does not denote mental illness. I also wonder are they going to haul everyone in that reposts such messages or only military. If it is only military then it is completely unconstitutional. 

It's not about restricting his freedom of speech.  Have you looked at his FB page?  I have.  He progressively gets more and more paranoid/confrontational in his posts.  There is something wrong with this man mentally and I would much rather hear that he was put into psychiatric eval and received treatment then hear he went off the deep end and started shooting up a building and/or blowing things up before killing himself.

I am proud to be from the South - where tea is sweet and accents are sweeter; summer starts in April; front porches are wide and words are long; mac and cheese is a vegetable; pecan pie is a staple; Y’all is the only proper pronoun; chicken is fried and biscuits come w/ gravy; everything is darling and someone is always getting their heart blessed. Have a good day y'all!

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:39 AM

No I have not looked at his facebook page it is set to private. Are you friends with this guy?

Quoting DixieDarlin76:

Quoting stormcris:

It's not about restricting his freedom of speech.  Have you looked at his FB page?  I have.  He progressively gets more and more paranoid/confrontational in his posts.  There is something wrong with this man mentally and I would much rather hear that he was put into psychiatric eval and received treatment then hear he went off the deep end and started shooting up a building and/or blowing things up before killing himself.

Would you prefer to be barbecue or teriyaki?
DixieDarlin76
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Quoting stormcris:

No I have not looked at his facebook page it is set to private. Are you friends with this guy?

Quoting DixieDarlin76:

Quoting stormcris:

No I'm not friends with him.  And it isn't private--you have to put in his first name, middle initial and last name. 

I am proud to be from the South - where tea is sweet and accents are sweeter; summer starts in April; front porches are wide and words are long; mac and cheese is a vegetable; pecan pie is a staple; Y’all is the only proper pronoun; chicken is fried and biscuits come w/ gravy; everything is darling and someone is always getting their heart blessed. Have a good day y'all!

TheStepMonster
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:44 AM

It is not set to private - you have to have first middle last name - it's the only one that comes up - full name is in the article in the OP.

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting DixieDarlin76:

Quoting stormcris:

grey ribbon

During the month of May, I wear my gray for Brain Cancer Awareness in memory of my momma (BM).  She fought her battle from May, 1988 - October, 1998.  Love and miss you much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured