Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He was just riding his skateboard

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 2:54 PM
  • 83 Replies

Please share this to raise awareness. We will not be silent!
Four police officers pinned down Ronald Weekly, an African-American student at Xavier University who was skateboarding in Venice, CA and the police punched him in the face. His sister said that he was initially stopped by an officer for riding his skateboard on the wrong side of the street. He now has a broken nose, broken cheek bone and concussion.

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO00MmfEKTg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 26, 2012 at 3:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I watched the video.

I have absolutely no idea what truly happened.  The video begins once the police officers have him on the ground.

I can't form any opinion on this, one way or the other.

Nice language the crowd was using.  *sigh* 

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I have been following this story and am disgusted by the way this young man was treated.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Quote:

•  

Ronald Weekley Jr., skateboarder alleging excessive police force, hires Trayvon Martin family attorney

By
Crimesider Staff
Topics
Daily Blotter

Image from cell phone video is believed to show Los Angeles police officers on top of Ronald Weekley, Jr., as they subdued and arrested him on Saturday, Aug. 18, 2012.

(Credit: CBS Los Angeles)
(CBS) VENICE, Calif. - Ronald Weekley Jr., a 20-year-old skateboarder who alleges that police used excessive force when they arrested him on Saturday, has hired Benjamin Crump, the attorney representing the family of Trayvon Martin, CBS Los Angeles reports.

According to the Los Angeles Police Department, officers tried to stop and detain Weekley at 6:25 p.m. on Saturday after spotting him skateboarding in traffic on Sunset Avenue in Venice, a violation of the vehicle code.

CBS Los Angeles reports a cell phone video of the arrest of Weekley shows four officers on top of the skateboarder, who is face down on a lawn. It appears as though Weekley is punched in the face repeatedly by one of the officers, as the other three wrestle with him on the ground. 

Crump questioned why police stopped Weekley in the first place.

"Was he stopped because he was on the wrong side of the road, or was he attacked because he was the wrong color?" Crump asked.

Crump, who's representing the family of the Florida teen shot to death by George Zimmerman, spoke at a news conference at a church in Venice on Tuesday, reported the Los Angeles Times.

"Officers tried to stop and detain him, and there was a use of force," LAPD spokesman Richard French said. "The suspect was arrested and booked for obstructing/resisting a police officer with force. Officers later found out that he had three outstanding warrants."

Spokesman French said the arrest "will be thoroughly investigated and reviewed at all levels," reported CBS Los Angeles. 

Crump said that Weekley suffered from a concussion, broken cheekbone, and broken nose from the beating. Weekley, a student at Xavier University in Louisiana, did not appear to have any visible injuries but began crying while speaking during the news conference.

""I was opening the door to my apartment when I was attacked from behind. They grabbed my hair and my back and tried to smash my face into the ground," he said. "I started screaming and yelling because I thought I was going to die."

The next thing Weekley remembers after blacking out during the beating was being in the back of a police car, and being told that he was stopped for not stopping at a stop sign, the LA Times reported. Police also called Weekley a "dumb a--," Crump said. 

Weekley was formally arrested on suspicion of resisting arrest and on three outstanding warrants related to curfew and bicycle riding violations and driving without a license, Crump said. He added that he wants the charges dropped and the officers involved held accountable. 

Well, I still can't really form an opinion one way or the other, after reading the article above.

The video, in my opinion, means very little as it does not show, definitively, that the guy was beaten or restrained with force without cause.  

He isn't a kid, as some in the video where yelling.  He is 20.

I am not about to say the color of his skin played a part in this.  I have no idea if that is the case or not.

I can hear all the Zimmerman supporters jumping all over this one.............in one way or another.  *sigh*  Just because this man hired the same attorney, that will be enough for some.  Two completely different and separate situations.

Seems to me, and I am only speculating, that the dude may very well have tried to avoid arrest, considering he had outstanding warrants.

We shall have to wait and see what the investigation brings about.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 26, 2012 at 3:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting trippyhippy:

I have been following this story and am disgusted by the way this young man was treated.

Can you provide me with some other info that shows how he was actually treated, outside of that video?

Hope that doesn't sound snarky.  Not my intention at all.

I just can't seem to be able to find enough out there to form an opinion one way or the other.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 3:18 PM

All I can go by is the video, all witness testimony that has been made public and the charges against him.  The cops have not said he did anything other then resisting arrest.  Arrest for what?  He was skateboarding in front of his house.  The cops are not disagreeing that this was why he was arrested.  You can hear him screaming "I'm not resisting, stop"  over and over. If the police want this to not blow up even bigger then they need to come out and say why this boy was physically taken down and beaten by the cops.  So far they have not, at least not that I have seen.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting trippyhippy:

Can you provide me with some other info that shows how he was actually treated, outside of that video?

I just can't seem to be able to find enough out there to form an opinion one way or the other.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting trippyhippy:

All I can go by is the video, all witness testimony that has been made public and the charges against him.  The cops have not said he did anything other then resisting arrest.  Arrest for what?  He was skateboarding in front of his house.  The cops are not disagreeing that this was why he was arrested.  You can hear him screaming "I'm not resisting, stop"  over and over. If the police want this to not blow up even bigger then they need to come out and say why this boy was physically taken down and beaten by the cops.  So far they have not, at least not that I have seen.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting trippyhippy:

Thanks for replying.

On the video, it is hard for me to hear some of what is being said, outside of those close to the camera.  I didn't catch what he was saying.  I watched it again.  Not saying it isn't there but damn if I can hear it.  lol  

Doing a little more reading, I do have to say that I found nothing on why the police wished to detain him.  Of course I could speculate.  *shrug*  Maybe they knew who he was, knew he had outstanding warrants and that was the reason for the arrest?

At this point, considering how the department is not commenting, there really isn't much to more to speculate on.  I just can't come off the fence and form some kind of opinion one way or the other.

It will be interesting to keep an eye on this case.

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Even the cops said they did not know about the warrants before hand.  Also, the warrants were for being out after curfew, so he's not exactly a hardened criminal.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting trippyhippy:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting trippyhippy:

Thanks for replying.

On the video, it is hard for me to hear some of what is being said, outside of those close to the camera.  I didn't catch what he was saying.  I watched it again.  Not saying it isn't there but damn if I can hear it.  lol  

Doing a little more reading, I do have to say that I found nothing on why the police wished to detain him.  Of course I could speculate.  *shrug*  Maybe they knew who he was, knew he had outstanding warrants and that was the reason for the arrest?

At this point, considering how the department is not commenting, there really isn't much to more to speculate on.  I just can't come off the fence and form some kind of opinion one way or the other.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 26, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Quoting trippyhippy:

Even the cops said they did not know about the warrants before hand.  Also, the warrants were for being out after curfew, so he's not exactly a hardened criminal.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting trippyhippy:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting trippyhippy:

Thanks for replying.

Well, thanks for the info.  I did not read any of that in the quick search I did.

Warrants for being out after curfew???  He is 20.  What curfew, how old are the warrants?

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 3:55 PM

If you're gonna be naughty, they're gonna get ya.

p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 3:57 PM

When you give people power to discriminate and attack others based on crap, 

Attacks on those without power will happen, 

I am not sure what happened, at all. 

I do not care, but I know there have been many power hungry people out there, who treat those who do not have power with crap. 

It is sickening. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured