Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What Romney's Been Doing These Last Four Years (thanks for inspiring this post, CG)

Posted by   + Show Post

I went to the post asking who we believe will win the Presidential election and saw CG write that if we vote based on how the President performed the last four years, we will vote Romney.  That made me go googling to see what Romney's been doing since his last bid for Prez.  Of course, I chose an excerpt from the Wiki article to post as I find that site easy to understand:   

Romney's activities between presidential campaigns

Following the election, Romney paved the way for a possible 2012 presidential campaign by using his Free and Strong America political action committee (PAC) to raise money for other Republican candidates and to pay his existing political staff's salaries and consulting fees.[263][264] An informal network of former staff and supporters around the nation were eager for him to run again.[265] He continued to give speeches and raise funds for Republicans,[266] but turned down many potential media appearances, fearing overexposure.[251] He also spoke before business, educational, and motivational groups.[267]

He served on the board of directors of Marriott International from 2009 to 2011.[268] (He had earlier served on it from 1993 to 2002,[268] during most of which time he was a member of, and for six years chair of, the board's audit committee.[269] During his time on that committee, Marriott implemented the Son of BOSS tax shelter scheme, which resulted in the company claiming $71 million in losses that federal courts later ruled never existed.[269][270])

Mitt Romney, seated, next to unidentified teenage male, leaning over, with Borders book store backdrop and display case of copies of Romney's book
Signing a copy of his bestseller No Apology in March 2010

In 2009, the Romneys sold their primary residence in Belmont and their ski chalet in Utah, leaving them an estate along Lake Winnipesaukee in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, and an oceanfront home in the La Jolla district of San Diego, California, which they had bought the year before.[251][271][272] The San Diego home was beneficial in location and climate for Ann Romney's multiple sclerosis therapies and for recovering from her late 2008 diagnosis and lumpectomy for mammary ductal carcinoma in situ.[271][273][274] Both it and the New Hampshire location were near some of their grandchildren[271] (who by 2012 numbered eighteen).[275] Romney maintained his voting registration in Massachusetts, however, and bought a smaller condominium in Belmont during 2010.[273][276][nb 17] In February 2010, Romney had a minor altercation with LMFAOmember Skyler Gordy, known as Sky Blu, on an airplane flight.[nb 18]

Romney's book, No Apology: The Case for American Greatness, was released in March 2010; an 18-state book tour was undertaken.[283] The book, which debuted atop The New York Times Best Seller list,[284] avoided anecdotes about his personal or political life in favor of a presentation of his economic and geopolitical views.[285][286] Earnings from the book were donated to charity.[104]

Immediately following the March 2010 passage of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Romney attacked the landmark legislation as "an unconscionable abuse of power" and said the act should be repealed.[287] The antipathy Republicans felt for it created a potential problem for the former governor, since the new federal law was in many ways similar to the Massachusetts health care reform passed during Romney's term; as one Associated Pressarticle stated, "Obamacare ... looks a lot like Romneycare."[287] While acknowledging that his plan was an imperfect work in progress, Romney did not back away from it, consistently defending the state-level health insurance mandate that underpinned it and saying it was the right answer to Massachusetts' specific problems at the time.[287][288][289]

In nationwide opinion polling for the 2012 Republican Presidential primaries, Romney led or placed in the top three with Palin and Huckabee. A January 2010 National Journal survey of political insiders found that a majority of Republican insiders, and a plurality of Democratic insiders, predicted Romney would be the party's 2012 nominee.[290] Romney campaigned heavily for Republican candidates in the 2010 midterm elections,[291] raising more money than the other prospective 2012 Republican presidential candidates.[292] Beginning in early 2011, Romney presented a more relaxed visual image, including rarely wearing a necktie.[253][293]

In the past four years the only people Romney did anything for who weren't family were the Republicans and the Mormons.* He donated his earnings from his book to charity; I'm going to guess the charity was either the Mormon Church or Brigham Young U., his other favorite charity. Oh, yeah; he earned about $100K for writing that book. If he'd made millions, I doubt he'd have donated it all. 100K is chump change to him so he donated it.

*Disclaimer:  When I'm not politicking, I have nothing against Republicans and Mormons (who don't come to my door proselytizing)

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Replies (31-40):
ramita
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol just because u dont agree doesnt mean its useless...i've asked questions bc i want u to give me a real answer from u not from some article u read...not useless if anything u should see this as helpful bc u could possibly sway someone's vote...maybe not mine but someone else who's reading this

Quoting JonJon:

Then why do you keep saying useless things, here?  Heh. 

Okay, now I'm through with you.

Quoting ramita:

Yeah i get it, it just aggravates me from both sides...even with Obama and people claimin he was muslim and people shouldnt vote for him bc of that. I would put them in their place bc it doesnt matter if he is what matters is how he acts and what he says. Not what religion his dad and step-dad was, especially considering he was raised mainly by his grandparents...i dunno i just think if u dont have anything useful to say dont say it

Quoting asfriend:

They have a President that is sooo far outside of the mainstream, that their only recourse is to attempt to drag Romney out there too.

It is true that Mormon's are a bit of an unknown, play on that uncertainty, what else do they have?

Quoting ramita:

Thats fine with me i felt like arguing anyway...lol...i really did want to know why people make a big deal out of who the chairities are that he donates to...the rest was just to use what she said against her bc she wouldnt answer my question since she brought up the chairity stuff...

Quoting asfriend:

Hi Ramita!

Asfriend here.

Not too much time should be spent with JonJon, she routinely throws false crap out there to further the Obamabot/ObamaZombie agenda.

Quoting JonJon:

I'd like to introduce you to Ramita; she doesn't understand the intent of this post, either.

It's just for information.  Romney hasn't done squat the last four years while Obama's been working so hard for us, his hair's gone prematurely gray and his face has aged ten years:

Obama 2008

Obama 2012

Quoting asfriend:

He mostly voted "present" which didn't help pass anything.

It would be exceptionally strange for a first term Senator to chair committees, which ones were those exactly?

Quoting JonJon:

The last time around, the Republicans made a big deal about the President having such a short time in politics despite the fact he chaired committees and was part of creating and passing legislation.

I'm just saying.

Quoting ramita:

No thats not what i thought the article was about, i was asking u specifically bc u added that after the article...or atleast guessing u did bc font changed. I am curious about this particular point bc i've heard others say well he only gives to the morman church and i dont get that. As far as the article goes he did what every politican does when he plans on running in the relatively near future and thats kiss ass its what they do! the rest well he's not perfect and i'd need more details than given in this article to say he did anything horrible...

Quoting JonJon:

You've concluded the point of this post is to say it matters where he donates his money rather than concluding I'm making a comparison between what he's done the last four years to what the President's been doing the last four years. 

Romney's been flying under the radar ingratiating himself to the RNC in preparation for his next run at the Presidency.  One might conclude he's been greasing palms which is why he's been chosen to run rather than the other guy most Republicans here said they wanted to be their candidate.

In the meantime, President Obama's been working his buns off for all of us, even the people who hate him for no real reason they can specify or admit, and the people who dislike his policies.  I mean, one of the first things the President did was to win a Nobel Prize!  I hear Romney's won some awards so please feel free to list them but they have to be in the last four years.

This is not a debate about whether or not the President deserved his prize, people, so don't go loco trying to make this about that.

wink

Quoting ramita:

I have a question...why does it matter which charity he gives to? those charities must align with his views the best so shouldnt that be why he gives to...? as for the article, he's not perfect but he hasnt done anything terrible...and he's a republican canidate so of course his helping other republicans...And well his family should be his first priority...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ramita
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, it does but not enough to be a reason not to vote for that person just a reason to dig deeper into the person and their beliefs. Same thing with obama growing up elsewhere, it just means u should look further into him, not completely discredit him

Quoting asfriend:

I do think that the Mormon part has some relevance, just like the fact that Obama grew up in Indonesia, as a Muslim, that is relevant. In each case one has to decide for themselves how relevant.

For some it is not race or religion, but the fact that he didn't grow up "American" he gew up an American living in Indonesia, if one reads his book, one has to wonder if he truely has any idea of the American Experience.

Quoting ramita:

Yeah i get it, it just aggravates me from both sides...even with Obama and people claimin he was muslim and people shouldnt vote for him bc of that. I would put them in their place bc it doesnt matter if he is what matters is how he acts and what he says. Not what religion his dad and step-dad was, especially considering he was raised mainly by his grandparents...i dunno i just think if u dont have anything useful to say dont say it

Quoting asfriend:

They have a President that is sooo far outside of the mainstream, that their only recourse is to attempt to drag Romney out there too.

It is true that Mormon's are a bit of an unknown, play on that uncertainty, what else do they have?

Quoting ramita:

Thats fine with me i felt like arguing anyway...lol...i really did want to know why people make a big deal out of who the chairities are that he donates to...the rest was just to use what she said against her bc she wouldnt answer my question since she brought up the chairity stuff...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asfriend
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:39 PM

agreed

Quoting JonJon:

Obamabot!  I like it!  I had a thought of creating a unique siggy for myself and I believe you've just inspired it!

Thanks!

I like zombies, am an avid fan of The Walking Dead but robots, which are featured in sci-fi of which I am also a fan, are more efficient and more intelligent than OBAMAzombies.

Quoting asfriend:

Hi Ramita!

Asfriend here.

Not too much time should be spent with JonJon, she routinely throws false crap out there to further the Obamabot/ObamaZombie agenda.

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM

The only thing on which we disagree is the intent of my post.  You want it to be about something else; I keep telling you it's not about something else.  Your insistence on taking my post off-topic won't work.  You've been a member since December but you must not have spent much time here in CE&HT or you'd know that about me and wouldn't have wasted all this time trying to hijack my post.

You haven't written one thing that could be considered useful to myself or anyone else so if you take your own counsel, you'll stop writing useless stuff.

Okay!  That's it!  For reals!  You can keep posting; it keeps my post on the first page where I want it.  I haven't had to bump once!  Thanks!

Quoting ramita:

Lol just because u dont agree doesnt mean its useless...i've asked questions bc i want u to give me a real answer from u not from some article u read...not useless if anything u should see this as helpful bc u could possibly sway someone's vote...maybe not mine but someone else who's reading this

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting ramita:

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting ramita:

Quoting asfriend:

Hi Ramita!

Asfriend here.

Quoting JonJon:

I'd like to introduce you to Ramita; she doesn't understand the intent of this post, either.

It's just for information.  Romney hasn't done squat the last four years while Obama's been working so hard for us, his hair's gone prematurely gray and his face has aged ten years:

Obama 2008

Obama 2012

Quoting asfriend:

It would be exceptionally strange for a first term Senator to chair committees, which ones were those exactly?

Quoting JonJon:

The last time around, the Republicans made a big deal about the President having such a short time in politics despite the fact he chaired committees and was part of creating and passing legislation.

I'm just saying.

Quoting ramita:

No thats not what i thought the article was about, i was asking u specifically bc u added that after the article...or atleast guessing u did bc font changed. I am curious about this particular point bc i've heard others say well he only gives to the morman church and i dont get that. As far as the article goes he did what every politican does when he plans on running in the relatively near future and thats kiss ass its what they do! the rest well he's not perfect and i'd need more details than given in this article to say he did anything horrible...

Quoting JonJon:

You've concluded the point of this post is to say it matters where he donates his money rather than concluding I'm making a comparison between what he's done the last four years to what the President's been doing the last four years. 

Romney's been flying under the radar ingratiating himself to the RNC in preparation for his next run at the Presidency.  One might conclude he's been greasing palms which is why he's been chosen to run rather than the other guy most Republicans here said they wanted to be their candidate.

In the meantime, President Obama's been working his buns off for all of us, even the people who hate him for no real reason they can specify or admit, and the people who dislike his policies.  I mean, one of the first things the President did was to win a Nobel Prize!  I hear Romney's won some awards so please feel free to list them but they have to be in the last four years.

This is not a debate about whether or not the President deserved his prize, people, so don't go loco trying to make this about that.

wink

Quoting ramita:

I have a question...why does it matter which charity he gives to? those charities must align with his views the best so shouldnt that be why he gives to...? as for the article, he's not perfect but he hasnt done anything terrible...and he's a republican canidate so of course his helping other republicans...And well his family should be his first priority...

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Oh, in debates, OBAMAzombies gobble up the competition!  Hee, hee, hee!

Quoting asfriend:

agreed

Quoting JonJon:

Obamabot!  I like it!  I had a thought of creating a unique siggy for myself and I believe you've just inspired it!

Thanks!

I like zombies, am an avid fan of The Walking Dead but robots, which are featured in sci-fi of which I am also a fan, are more efficient and more intelligent than OBAMAzombies.

Quoting asfriend:

Hi Ramita!

Asfriend here.

ramita
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok yea at first i was a little off topic but its bc i had a very resonable question to ask u bc of something u said...if u had answered my question to the best of ur ability none of the rest of the conversation would have happened

Quoting JonJon:

The only thing on which we disagree is the intent of my post.  You want it to be about something else; I keep telling you it's not about something else.  Your insistence on taking my post off-topic won't work.  You've been a member since December but you must not have spent much time here in CE&HT or you'd know that about me and wouldn't have wasted all this time trying to hijack my post.

You haven't written one thing that could be considered useful to myself or anyone else so if you take your own counsel, you'll stop writing useless stuff.

Okay!  That's it!  For reals!  You can keep posting; it keeps my post on the first page where I want it.  I haven't had to bump once!  Thanks!

Quoting ramita:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting ramita:

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting ramita:

Quoting asfriend:

Hi Ramita!

Asfriend here.

Quoting JonJon:

Obama 2008

Obama 2012

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting JonJon:

I'm just saying.

Quoting ramita:

Quoting JonJon:

wink

Quoting ramita:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Besides...Zombie just goes better with Romney = Rombies? Zomneys? Rombie Zomneys!

Quoting JonJon:

Thanks!

I like zombies, am an avid fan of The Walking Dead but robots, which are featured in sci-fi of which I am also a fan, are more efficient and more intelligent than zombies.

Quoting asfriend:

Hi Ramita!

Asfriend here.

Quoting JonJon:

New World Peace

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM

bouncing  Whoop!  Whoop! 

If I'd had a cup of coffee, you'd have made me spit it all over my computer, I laughed that hard!

Quoting NWP:

Besides...Zombie just goes better with Romney = Rombies? Zomneys? Rombie Zomneys!

Quoting JonJon:

Thanks!

I like zombies, am an avid fan of The Walking Dead but robots, which are featured in sci-fi of which I am also a fan, are more efficient and more intelligent than zombies.

Quoting asfriend:

Hi Ramita!

Asfriend here.

Quoting JonJon:

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Heh; it's cute how you just represented your participation in my post as a punishment!  "If you had just been a good girl and had done what I wanted, I wouldn't have had to do that!" 

LOL!  You never had any power here.

Quoting ramita:

Ok yea at first i was a little off topic but its bc i had a very resonable question to ask u bc of something u said...if u had answered my question to the best of ur ability none of the rest of the conversation would have happened

Quoting JonJon:

I chopped the tree because I know that as a phone person, you can't.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Aug. 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Not to take this too far off topic...but just for you:

Quoting JonJon:

bouncing  Whoop!  Whoop! 

If I'd had a cup of coffee, you'd have made me spit it all over my computer, I laughed that hard!

Quoting NWP:

Quoting JonJon:

Thanks!

Quoting asfriend:

Hi Ramita!

Asfriend here.

Quoting JonJon:

New World Peace

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN