Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mitt Romney Report Card Shows Promise, Lack Of Discipline (PHOTO)

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 1:12 PM
  • 33 Replies

High school students take note: That mediocre semester of freshman-year French may one day come back to haunt you.

As the presidential election draws closer, it seems like any and all documents relating to the candidates are fair game. Case in point: One of Republican candidate Mitt Romney's old high school report cards, which was originally released by the Boston Globe in 2007, is making the Internet rounds again.

Young Romney, who would eventually go on to earn both law and MBA degrees from Harvard University, showed obvious intelligence, according to the prep school document. However, comments on his progress suggest an initial tendency toward overconfidence and underperformance.

(Story Continues Below)

mitt romney report card

Image courtesy of Boston.com

The document is dated Nov. 10, 1961 -- during Romney's freshman year in high school -- and includes marks for English 3, Elementary Algebra, Biology, French 1 and Art 3.

Romney's lowest grade of the term was in French, in which he received a "C," while his highest was in English, in which he earned a "B+," but his teacher notes "He can do a lot better."

Romney also received a "B" in Algebra. The teacher complimented the politician's initial performance on tests but notes "He wastes much time in class."

At the bottom of the report, Romney's instructor praises the student's performance but hints at possible problems in the past. "Mitt is doing well," reads the notation. "He is a more responsible citizen this year."

Mitt Romney spent six years at Cranbrook Schools, a prestigious prep school in Michigan, while his father George Romney acted as CEO of American Motors Corporation and contemplated entering politics. First as a day student and later as a full-time boarder, Romney's experience at the school played a large role in molding the young politician's intellect.

However, Romney's teenage years at the academy came under renewed scrutiny in May when the Washington Post reported an alleged bullying incident involving Romney and a classmate.

The grades on the report card are not what got my attention although I would be more impressed if he'd gotten all As, it's the teacher's comments that make me start thinking.

I just thought it would be an interesting read for people and to see if anyone has anything to say.  People will say it happened a long time ago but I believe he shows he still has these shortcomings considering how he mentally checked out as Governor when he got bored with it and decided it would be more fun to be President.

by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LibertyPhoenix
by New Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 4:17 PM

bump

JMmama
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 4:25 PM
3 moms liked this
I sincerely hope my potential to do a job successfully is never judged by the comment of one teacher, on one report card, from my freshman year of high school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JonJon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Quoting JMmama:

I sincerely hope my potential to do a job successfully is never judged by the comment of one teacher, on one report card, from my freshman year of high school.

The comments have been made by every teacher on that report card.  You usually have 5-6 different teachers in high school, you know.  Or don't you know?  Were you home-schooled?  The teachers all typed their initials.  They are all different.

Who we are going to be the rest of our lives is usually formed by the time we reach high school, with refinement as we age, but only if we work at refining ourselves, and only if we recognize the need to constantly work of achieving our best selves.

I use the report card and point at his dismal job as Governor to suggest he hasn't worked on refining himself in the ways he needs to refine. 

JMmama
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I was not home schooled and I am well aware how high school works. That being said, I will admit to only reading the remark by the French teacher. I'm on mobile and the type in that picture is really small. Something in the OP made me think the French teacher's remark was the one in question, so that was the one I read.

However, I went back and read the rest of them now and I'm still underwhelmed. A 13/14 year old boy isnt living up to his potential in high school? Color me flabber-gasted. His record and job performance as governor? That's relevant and should certainly be factored in and discussed when determining if he would make a good President. Bringing in a freshman year report card is nothing more than one more distraction from issues that really matter.

For the record, I'm equally uninterested in Obama's "sealed" college transcripts, his thesis or whatever other nonsense people have been yammering about.

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting JMmama:

The comments have been made by every teacher on that report card.  You usually have 5-6 different teachers in high school, you know.  Or don't you know?  Were you home-schooled?  The teachers all typed their initials.  They are all different.

Who we are going to be the rest of our lives is usually formed by the time we reach high school, with refinement as we age, but only if we work at refining ourselves, and only if we recognize the need to constantly work of achieving our best selves.

I use the report card and point at his dismal job as Governor to suggest he hasn't worked on refining himself in the ways he needs to refine. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jesi_79
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2012 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I got all A's and B's in high school and most of my teachers said the same thing about me not "working up to potential".  It wasn't my fault that school was boring.

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I thought it was a little clue as to the type of person he is.  He really doesn't seem to have changed a whole lot since starting high school.  He's brilliant, but he's lazy and he loses interest in what he's doing.  He knows how to fix problems he wants to fix.  His worst grade was in French so what does he do?  He goes to France and learns it from native speakers!  Expensive, but he supposedly became fluent.

I'd like to see Obama's high school report card.  I doubt we'll ever see his college transcripts, though, nor will we see Romney's.  They both went to prestigious schools that protect their students' privacies quite well.  It's enough to know that Romney graduated cum laude while the President graduated magna cum laude.  See?  If Romney had applied himself, he could have been magna cum laude, too. 

I think there's a trend.  He leaves his job at Bain so he can work on the Olympic Commmittee.  I wonder why anyone would leave a job making millions of dollars but Romney is not stupid; he had all kinds of clauses and contracts with Bains that allowed him to continue collecting a paycheck though he was goofing off having fun playing saviour of the games.  He was important on a bigger scale.  That's probably where he got his taste for public admiration or importance.  Money isn't important to Romney, he's got plenty but power and fame and admiration of the masses is.  Romney just wants the title; he's not interested in the people.

Quoting JMmama:

I was not home schooled and I am well aware how high school works. That being said, I will admit to only reading the remark by the French teacher. I'm on mobile and the type in that picture is really small. Something in the OP made me think the French teacher's remark was the one in question, so that was the one I read.

However, I went back and read the rest of them now and I'm still underwhelmed. A 13/14 year old boy isnt living up to his potential in high school? Color me flabber-gasted. His record and job performance as governor? That's relevant and should certainly be factored in and discussed when determining if he would make a good President. Bringing in a freshman year report card is nothing more than one more distraction from issues that really matter.

For the record, I'm equally uninterested in Obama's "sealed" college transcripts, his thesis or whatever other nonsense people have been yammering about.

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting JMmama:

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:30 AM

Ugh.  I wish that ugly, ridiculous pic of the guys with the baby bottle would go away.  I have no desire to look at the video.  I feel violated; two ridiculous male clowns featured on CM.  Why don't we get the Jackass crew in here while we're at it?  Wee Man was my favorite.

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:31 AM

And you went on to become President...

Quoting Jesi_79:

I got all A's and B's in high school and most of my teachers said the same thing about me not "working up to potential".  It wasn't my fault that school was boring.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:33 AM
1 mom liked this
suggest an initial tendency toward overconfidence and underperformance.

And nothing's changed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JonJon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:40 AM

For the record, I would LOVE to discuss Romney's political record over the last four years...but he hasn't done anything politically other than raise money for the Republican Party which basically is how he bought the nomination for President.

The Republicans are the ones resorting to name-calling and contrived accusations because they have nothing to taut regarding Romney's political accomplishments. He hasn't any. Well, he has Romneycare, but they hate that healthcare plan which they now compare to Obamacare. The two plans are very similar, even down to their names, Affordable Healthcare. If they even try to talk about what he did as governor, it will come out that he was away from his office 200 days of his last year. Doing what? Traveling all over the country ingratiating himself to the Republicans so he could garner support for his run at the Presidency in 2008.

It is beyond comprehension, the GOP choosing the unaccomplished Romney as their candidate, except that the acquistion of money has always been the driving force for the Republican Party, imo.  They know he has no chance of winning and can at least say they've paid him back for all he's done for them, I guess.

Quoting JMmama:
. His record and job performance as governor? That's relevant and should certainly be factored in and discussed when determining if he would make a good President. Bringing in a freshman year report card is nothing more than one more distraction from issues that really matter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)