Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Handcuffed Man Murders a West Virginia State Trooper from Backseat of Police Cruiser

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 10:59 PM
JRM
  • 14 Replies
For those of you "suspicious" types that like to continually say that these things are government conspiracies and "there's no way" it could happen. Well in this incident, a handcuffed perpetrator who was searched and handcuffed and placed in the rear of a police cruiser managed to shoot the officers.

Suicide of a prisoner via self inflicted gunshot wound is not farfected.

RIP Trooper.

Handcuffed Man Murders W.Va. Trooper
August 29, 2012

A suspect who fatally shot a West Virginia trooper and wounded two other officers late Tuesday was shot and killed after several sheriff's deputies tracked him to a barn.

Trooper Marshall Bailey, a 16-year veteran, was killed by a handcuffed auto-theft suspect at the Wallback park-and-ride on Interstate 79 in Clay County, Col. Jay Smithers, West Virginia State Police superintendent, said during a Wednesday afternoon press briefing.

The incident began when Troopers Bailey and Eric Workman spotted a white Chevy Silverado that had been reported stolen. A dispatcher sent the troopers to the area, after a 911 caller reported a reckless driver of the Silverado at 7:25 p.m.

Troopers Bailey and Workman, working in one cruiser, stopped the vehicle at 7:36 p.m. at the park-and-ride. The officers arrested the driver, 20-year-old Luke Baber, after determining he was intoxicated. Baber was searched, handcuffed, and placed in the back of the cruiser. The troopers called for a tow truck.

While seated in the back of the cruiser, Baber pulled out a Hi-Point 9mm pistol and fatally shot Trooper Bailey. Baber then shot Trooper Workman, who remains in "extremely critical condition" in a coma at CAMC General Hospital. Baber also stole Trooper Bailey's service weapon, Col. Smithers said.

Baber then shot the two truck driver, Frank Massey, who arrived to pick up the vehicle. Massey returned to his truck and called for help.

Sheriff's deputies from Clay County and Roane County searching for Baber located him at a nearby barn. Deputies engaged Baber, who shot Roane County Deputy John Westfall three times in the wrist, left arm, and abdomen. Baber was killed in the return fire.

Deputy Westfall's vest likely saved his life.

"The thoughts and prayers of the West Virginia State Police are with the family of the fallen trooper and with those who were injured," Sgt. Michael Baylous, a state police spokesman, said in a release.

There have been 39 West Virginia troopers killed in the line of duty, Col. Smithers said.

By Paul Clinton
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I believe Trooper Workman has succumbed to his injuries.

It has been a very sad and trying time these last several weeks in the Law Enforcement community. I pray constantly when dh is on duty. And even off.
_Kissy_
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this
R.I.P
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Sep. 2, 2012 at 12:54 AM

What a waste.

Aren't suspects usually searched for weapons before they are placed in the car?

Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 12:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Sisteract:

What a waste.

Sometimes things are missed.

I am part of an leow community on FB, my wall has been blowing up with officer down notices these last few weeks. It is very disheartening.
One retired police chief was hunted down and killed by a man he had arrested several times over a 40 yr period.
It is getting out of hand. Legislation is slowly changing to keep cop killers and attackers behind bars, now we need the judges to enforce them.
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Sep. 2, 2012 at 8:09 AM
Yes and according to the report so was this one.

Sometimes costly mistakes are made.

Quoting Sisteract:

What a waste.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Sep. 2, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Very sad:(

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

rfurlongg
by on Sep. 2, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Quoting survivorinohio:

Very sad:(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 8:18 AM

He did. He was a good friend of my brothers. This was a very sad week for WV.

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

It has been a very sad and trying time these last several weeks in the Law Enforcement community. I pray constantly when dh is on duty. And even off.

survivorinohio
by René on Sep. 2, 2012 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

:(  My condolences to you and his family and friends:(

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2012 at 8:23 AM
2 moms liked this

Thank You, I had only met him once, at my brothers wedding. But I know he was a good man and he is going to be missed by many. At last I heard his funeral arrangements were incomplete as he was an Organ Donor and they were taking care of that. 

Quoting survivorinohio:

:(  My condolences to you and his family and friends:(

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)