Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How do you tell your mother in law...

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 7:02 PM
  • 465 Replies
2 moms liked this

Every time my mother in law posts on my facebook page she ends with "Ly, Mom".  This seriously pisses me off.  She IS NOT my mother.  I don't want people who don't know my family to think she is my mother.  I only love the woman because I have to and even that is strained.  But I don't want to hurt my husband by telling his mother to fuck off.  She is a chronic pity-party-woe-is-me-pay-attention-to-me-because-I'm-dying-and-you'll-be-sorry-then hypochondriac hoarder who truthfully disgusts me.  Any criticism at all will fuel her feel-sorry-for-me tank for weeks.  I know it probably isn't worth addressing in the long run but it's totally disrespectful to my actual mother.  So anyway, the point of my post is, how do you tell your mother in law to fuck off politely?  Is there a polite way?  Should I just deal with her and remember to pack extra wine for family gatherings?  What would you do?

by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenny-talia
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 7:03 PM
5 moms liked this

Oh my god, I wish I could tell you.

Mine invited herself to sleep over a couple of nights.  This is NOT what I signed up for.

I have no advice, but I feel for ya.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh dear god. She sounds like mine. I wish I knew what to tell you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 7:08 PM
53 moms liked this

She is your mother by marriage.  I would leave it alone.

romalove
by Roma on Sep. 3, 2012 at 7:08 PM
42 moms liked this
Just hide her posts without unfriending her. She won't know and you won't be irritated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EllysMom1005
by Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 7:09 PM
5 moms liked this

Pack the wine. My MIL is also a manipulator. Wine keeps me from screaming.

Can you talk to your husband about the situation? Perhaps he could address it with his mother.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Sep. 3, 2012 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Can I hide her replies to my posts?

Quoting romalove:

Just hide her posts without unfriending her. She won't know and you won't be irritated.

PestPatti
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 7:13 PM
10 moms liked this

I don't know, my mother in law could try my patience at times.  When I send things to my daughter in law, I always sign my name NEVER refer to myself as "mom" to her.   She's not my daughter, but if I had girls, I would like them to be like her. 

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Sep. 3, 2012 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I asked him again today but he really doesn't want her to call us crying every day for the next month - not because he doesn't want to hurt her feelings, but because he doesn't want to hear her whining either.  I know I sound harsh but I'm so done with her.  We - all her children and their spouses - we are all just done with her emotional manipulations.  Sipping the large glass of wine my honey just poured for me...

Quoting EllysMom1005:

Pack the wine. My MIL is also a manipulator. Wine keeps me from screaming.

Can you talk to your husband about the situation? Perhaps he could address it with his mother.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Sep. 3, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I'm estranged from my mother but I'm making an effort - we're both making the effort - for my boys.  My mother sees these replies from that dingbat and I know it hurts her.  You sound like a good mil.

Quoting PestPatti:

I don't know, my mother in law could try my patience at times.  When I send things to my daughter in law, I always sign my name NEVER refer to myself as "mom" to her.   She's not my daughter, but if I had girls, I would like them to be like her. 

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 7:21 PM
43 moms liked this

"I love you because you're my husbands mother and I do really love you as my mother in law, but I do already have a mom so I would really appreciate it you would respect my wishes to only call my birth mother mom. I hope you understand."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)