Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Information on the Real Unemployment Rate!!! :(

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 9:47 PM
  • 8 Replies

Good Evening Ladies!

I talked with a really good friend of mine, who use to work of the Department of Labor, this person is now Retired from the DOL. That person let me know, that once you draw out all of your Unemployment Benefits, and you no longer file for Unemployment Benefits, you are no longer counted as an Unemployed person. It is like you dropped off the side of a mountain or something! There needs to be something done about this, so everyone is counted in the Unemployment Figures, because I believe more might have been done over the past 4 years. If they knew the true amount of Unemployed Americans in the United States.

We American's need to do something about this, and the sooner the better!!!

Add some info:

I have a question:

Does anyone know which Presidential Administration changed the way they keep up with the Unemployed people in the United States? Because they use to keep with all of the Unemployed people in one Unemployment Rate, now they have them separated, which give us the wrong outlook on how the Unemployment is really doing!!!!

If someone can find where this was changed, please let me know, because I think myself it should be changed back to the way it use to be.....we all have a right to know how bad it really is out there to try and find work.

by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
waldorfmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 1:38 AM
2 moms liked this

... Try 15%:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/784761-what-is-the-real-unemployment-rate

You are quite right that voters ought to find out reality, and not just float along on the propaganda of the liberal reporters and commentators.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Sep. 9, 2012 at 1:40 AM
2 moms liked this

If people did their research, the third party candidate would win.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Obama & his Admin. didn't want the American people to know the 'real' unemployment figures.  I've heard different figures on the 'real' unemployment.  11% & up to 20%.  I just don't understand it at all, because all those that had their benefits run out, should be counted.  Those that need P/T, but can't find F/T, should be counted some how.  How do they count ALL the teens that want to work, but can't find a job either? 

How about all those that WANT TO WORK, but have given up?  I've heard NO President since FDR, have EVER been reelected if the numbers are over 8%.  Makes me wonder, IF the 'real' numbers of our unemployed would be counted, & the 'real' figures were around 15% or so, how would people be voting?  Would it change people's mind?  Idk, for me I think all people have to do is look around them.  Look in their communities.  See all those that are on PA just to survive, more people living in proverty, people losing their homes.  Isn't that enough to tell the story?

candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:01 AM

He is being sheltered by the lame stream media.  They are covering for him

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I'm actually surprised that more people don't know this.  Every time I hear the unemployment numbers they give this information while discussing what they mean.  Who ran out of benefits, who stopped looking because they were discouraged, how many are underemployed.  I hear it about once a month when the new numbers come out, they do a complete report.

Also I got this complete info when googling "unemployment numbers calculated" it was the first link.  

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm

Where do the statistics come from?

Early each month, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) of the U.S. Department of Labor announces the total number of employed and unemployed persons in the United States for the previous month, along with many characteristics of such persons. These figures, particularly the unemployment rate—which tells you the percent of the labor force that is unemployed—receive wide coverage in the media.

Some people think that to get these figures on unemployment, the Government uses the number of persons filing claims for unemployment insurance (UI) benefits under State or Federal Government programs. But some people are still jobless when their benefits run out, and many more are not eligible at all or delay or never apply for benefits. So, quite clearly, UI information cannot be used as a source for complete information on the number of unemployed.

Other people think that the Government counts every unemployed person each month. To do this, every home in the country would have to be contacted—just as in the population census every 10 years. This procedure would cost way too much and take far too long. Besides, people would soon grow tired of having a census taker come to their homes every month, year after year, to ask about job-related activities.

Because unemployment insurance records relate only to persons who have applied for such benefits, and since it is impractical to actually count every unemployed person each month, the Government conducts a monthly sample survey called the Current Population Survey (CPS) to measure the extent of unemployment in the country. The CPS has been conducted in the United States every month since 1940, when it began as a Work Projects Administration project. It has been expanded and modified several times since then. For instance, beginning in 1994, the CPS estimates reflect the results of a major redesign of the survey. (For more information on the CPS redesign, see Chapter 1, "Labor Force Data Derived from the Current Population Survey," in the BLS Handbook of Methods.)

There is a very complete explanation there.

The president that dropped the "not looking in the past two weeks" and unemployed teens was Reagan in 1982, bringing him an immediate boost in employment numbers during his recession.  Also under Reagan, the military, previously uncounted in the numbers, were included in the labor force, thereby adding thousands of people to the calculation at a 100% employment rate.

There has been changes to the way numbers are calculated several times, the best thing to do is not listen to the standard number they release but the explanation of the methodology and meaning of it.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 12:37 PM

No, he is being sheltered by people who can't listen to more than one number.  Literally every single report I found was up front about this info.  

The unemployment rate fell largely because 368,000 people stopped looking for work, many of themyoung people. Just 63.5% of the working-age population was either employed or actively looking for work -- a 30-year low.http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/07/news/economy/august-jobs-report/index.html

New Unemployment Report Weaker Than Expected : NPR

www.npr.org › News › Business › Economy
1 day ago – The jobs report released Friday morning came in weaker than expected. Employers added 96000 jobs to payrolls. The unemployment rate did ...

News for unemployment report

Sky News Australia
  1. Obama: Unemployment report “not good enough”

Las Vegas Sun‎ - 5 hours ago
    Sunday, Sept. 9, 2012 | 3:32 a.m. - Obama says latest unemployment report is not good enough, need to create jobs faster.
Boston.com‎ - 1 day ago

I couldn't find one single article saying the numbers were good or that didn't explain it was due to people dropping out of the work force.
Quoting candlegal:

He is being sheltered by the lame stream media.  They are covering for him

kajalpakm2012
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I know how those people feel about giving up looking for work, I have worked most of my life for 30+ years. During the time I have been out of work I went back to College and achieved an Associate's Degree in Business Administrative Technology, but I think it has hurt me in getting a job like at Wal-Mart, Big Lots, and other places like that. But since Dec. 18th, 2008 I have been out of work, I have not had any type of help what so every, my Unemployment run out in Nov. 2010, so times keep getting harder & harder to Pay the Bills, I steal a little from Peter to Pay Paul and keep on going from there.

God Bless All of the Unemployed!!

kajalpakm2012
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:28 AM

crying mini

This is how the Unemployment rating have done for years and years, so I think we have been in trouble for a lot longer than anyone has ever realized!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN