Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When Did Bigotry And Racial Intolerance Become Acceptable Political Positions?

Posted by   + Show Post

When Did Bigotry And Racial Intolerance Become Acceptable Political Positions?

For some reason, Middle Easterners tend to scare the pants off Tea Partiers. I don't know exactly where the hate comes from, but in the eyes of Tea Party member and Republican congressional candidate Gabriela Mercer, some Middle Eastern immigrants are just out to get America. Maybe she really doesn't trust people from certain countries, or maybe she's appealing to scared Arizona voters, but either way this isn't an appropriate way to act if you want to be an elected official. Please share this video to let the voters in Arizona know whom they'd be electing.

http://www.upworthy.com/when-did-bigotry-and-racial-intolerance-become-acceptable-political-positions?c=ufb1

Political Chatter & Hot Topics Group - CafeMom

Join us for Political Chatter & Hot Topics.

by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Replies (51-60):
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Oh she's backpedaling now?  Well that's shocking.  *eye roll*

Quoting 12hellokitty:

August 29, 2012

Press Release CONTACT: Janice Rimer
PHONE: 520-661-6459

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Gabriela Saucedo Mercer Addresses The Real Story Behind ‘We Don’t Want Middle Easterners’
TUCSON, AZ – On Monday, a group called People For Grijalva released a poorly edited one-minute fifty-second video entitled ‘The Real Gabriela Mercer – We Don’t Want Any Middle Easterners’. In it, snippets of video interviews with Gabriela Saucedo Mercer were used to try to weave a deceptive anti-Middle Eastern message with particular attention placed on a mere fragment of footage used selectively to construct a false narrative.
The truth of the matter is Mercer was referring to OTMs (Other Than Mexicans) who come from various parts of the world crossing the southern border – legally and illegally – to exact harm upon The United States. Interestingly, People For Grijalva do not appear to be equally concerned about Mercer’s reference to Chinese citizens who cross our southern border. Perhaps it does not quite satisfy the narrative they have in mind.
Below is a link to the full fourteen minute to put the entire discussion into perspective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUXiCjyGPbk&feature=youtube_gdata
It is fascinating in a time of economic uncertainty, rising food and gas costs, and job losses that the focus of Mercer’s opponents appears to be more about creating an enemy where none is warranted than working on solutions for the ailing district. Then again, that is why Gabriela Saucedo Mercer is running: she’s the candidate who will actually work on behalf of Southern Arizona’s working families!

END PRESS RELEASE

Quoting stacymomof2:

big·ot

noun \ˈbi-gət\
: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
— big·ot·ed \-gə-təd\ adjective

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.  I didn't say she doesn't have a right to be a bigot, so you can slide the First Amendment off to the side because it's not on the table.  I also have the right to call her one.  By the way someone saying a Christian man wants to see all women barefoot and pregnant doesn't rise to bigotry, IMO.  Just like if someone said Muslims like to see their wives barefoot and pregnant, not really to the level of bigotry.  However if someone said there was something sinister about having Bibles and crosses ("there is something bigger there!") or if they said Christians shouldn't be allowed to immigrate into the US, legally or illegally, because you never can tell, I would call that bigotry.  That's not "painting with a broad brush.(like the barefoot and pregnant comment,)"  That is encouraging people and trying to influence Government policies (she is running for office) to actively discriminate against a religious group.

So, yeah.  Bigot.  Ugly word, I agree.  If the shoe fits and all.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting stacymomof2:

That is not what she said.  I quoted her exactly.  I'm surprised at you, actually.  I thought this much bigotry was beneath you.  She didn't say radical even once in her little dissertation on immigrants.  She said (paraphrase) they appreahended 28000 of them, other people who are not from mexico.  Then she talked about the 28000 illegals being from China and the middle east. Then she said the middle easterners look like mexicans or south americans and they mix.  And then she says right after that the "those people" (referring to middle eastern immigrants) sentence.  So tell me where she was talking about extremists.  

And what the hell do Quar'ans and prayer rugs have to do with extremists or illegal immigrants at all?  Why doesn't she say "extremists" in that explanation.  Keep in mind this isn't some gotcha question in front of a crowd.  She is calmly explaining her beliefs.  Therte is no question what she believes and you are going along with it.

If someone said those things in front of me I would call them out immediately.  Don't sit there and act like its all innocent or she is talking about extremists or terrorists.  when does she even say that except in the clip of the TEA party speech?

You know, it's not like she is hiding it or being coy.  She wants people to know.  She is straight up front about it.  I'm not putting words in her mouth, you are.

Here is her response:

The Daily Star reports that Saucedo Mercer criticized Grijalva on Friday for accusing her of racism.

“He plays the race card because that is all he has,” she said. “This campaign is about his record. It’s not about phony accusations. Bring it on, Grijalva!”

Asked whether she believes legal immigrants who are Muslim want to harm Americans, she said “The 9/11 terrorists were here legally, rest my case.”

Here is a complete transcript of the answer I quoted partially above:

Her full response to the question:

“Of course, its, you think about these ‘other than Mexicans.’ Just last year, I don’t have the numbers, I remember taking notes, but if I remember correctly it was 25,000 that they were able to apprehend, ‘other than Mexicans.’ That includes Chinese, Middle Easterners. If you know Middle Easterners, a lot of them they look Mexican, they look like a lot of people in South America, dark skin, brown hair, brown eyes, and they mix, they mix in. And those people, their only goal in life is to, to cause harm to the United States. So why do we want them here, either legally or illegally?” http://www.mohavedailynews.com/articles/2012/09/09/news/state/doc504c59b12e191890219503.txt

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting stacymomof2:

No, special, what makes her bigoted is saying this: "Those people, [middle easterners] their only goal is to cause harm to the United States. So why do we want them here, either legally or illegally?" 58 sec through 1 min 4 sec.

"They have found prayer rugs, they have found copies of the Quar'an...so this tells you that this is not...you know..just poor illegals that are trying to come to this country and find work.  It's bigger than that."  1min 12 sec through 1 minute 28 sec.

Is that stating the obvious, yourspecial?  That's a freaking bigot.  Get off the need to defend her against the oversensitive PC liberals and see it for what it is.  That is not a "difference of opinion."  That is ignorant fear mongering.  

Nobody thinks she's a bigot because she said they have brown skin and brown eyes.  they are saying she's a bigot because of her exact words I quoted above.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Radical Muslims have been using the same border crossings other illegals have.  This is nothing new.  She is only stating the obvious when she says they are able to blend in easily.

I do disagree they all are bad.  But, last I checked she is entitled her opinion.

Interesting how a differing opinion has become racist and bigoted...kind of makes the true nature of those words meaningless.

Her words may be harsh, but they are not bigoted.  She is entitled her opinion, just as I am entitled not to agree with it.

In the not too distant past they did find evidence of radical Muslims using the same crossings those from Mexico were...they even apprehended  a cleric with some nasty ties.  So we can't say she just dreamed it up..she took some circumstances and ran with it...that doesn't make her a bigot imo.

Personally, I wish people running for office would speak their mind more often.  It would be a lot easier to find those you agree/disagree with.

She didn't have to say...and not saying it doesn't make her a bigot...it just means she thinks they all are.  People paint others with broad brushes all the time...it isn't accurate..it isn't right..it is uncouth..it is tacky...but it isn't bigotry. 

I am not going along with it.  In my first answer I said I do not agree with her..but she is entitled to her opinion.  Just like the people that think all Christian men are determined to see women barefoot, pregnant, with no rights at all.  We have some very vocal anti-Christians on here...I don't consider them bigots either.  I consider them people with an opinion different than mine....and a Constitutional right to voice it.

afwifeandmommy3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM
Like I said she has a right to her opinion . That why we live in a free country . It is one in which many can choose to Agree or not to agree with someone

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

IMO people have a right to there opinion and the us has become obsessed with political correctness .

There is no place in our government for bigoted cowards like her

And everyone should agree on at least that much
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

IMO people have a right to there opinion and the us has become obsessed with political correctness .

Of course people have a right to THEIR opinion but this is not a question of "political correctness', it is a situation in whch more people are bigoted,prejudiced and just plain hurtful to others. It's a lack of caring, an abusive and harmful way to speak and think.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Did she really just say "middle easterners' only goal in life is to cause us harm"?????  Really?????

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Quoting stacymomof2:

How the hell are prayer rugs and Quar'ans threatening?  OMG what an idiot she is.  In that case she would want to raid my house, I have 4 prayer rugs and at least 3 Quar'ans.  

That's like finding pics of Jesus and Bibles threatening.   

I know. She is irrational and ...well, stupid.

Our Rep from MN, Keith Ellison is Muslim and when he was sworn in, he used a copy of the Quaran that was owned by Thomas Jefferson. He's a good guy and we are proud that he is working for our state.

I'm pretty sure that woman is a Xenophobe and a racist.And not well educated.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 5:19 AM
I didn't say anything about her right to her opinion

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

Like I said she has a right to her opinion . That why we live in a free country . It is one in which many can choose to Agree or not to agree with someone

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

There is no place in our government for bigoted cowards like her

And everyone should agree on at least that much
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:30 AM

LOL  Funny how youtube all of the sudden becomes a creditable source, even when highly edited, when it supports your views...  more hypocrisy.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

August 29, 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Gabriela Saucedo Mercer Addresses The Real Story Behind ‘We Don’t Want Middle Easterners’
TUCSON, AZ – On Monday, a group called People For Grijalva released a poorly edited one-minute fifty-second video entitled ‘The Real Gabriela Mercer – We Don’t Want Any Middle Easterners’. In it, snippets of video interviews with Gabriela Saucedo Mercer were used to try to weave a deceptive anti-Middle Eastern message with particular attention placed on a mere fragment of footage used selectively to construct a false narrative.
The truth of the matter is Mercer was referring to OTMs (Other Than Mexicans) who come from various parts of the world crossing the southern border – legally and illegally – to exact harm upon The United States. Interestingly, People For Grijalva do not appear to be equally concerned about Mercer’s reference to Chinese citizens who cross our southern border. Perhaps it does not quite satisfy the narrative they have in mind.
Below is a link to the full fourteen minute to put the entire discussion into perspective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUXiCjyGPbk&feature=youtube_gdata
It is fascinating in a time of economic uncertainty, rising food and gas costs, and job losses that the focus of Mercer’s opponents appears to be more about creating an enemy where none is warranted than working on solutions for the ailing district. Then again, that is why Gabriela Saucedo Mercer is running: she’s the candidate who will actually work on behalf of Southern Arizona’s working families!

END PRESS RELEASE

Quoting stacymomof2:

big·ot

noun \ˈbi-gət\
: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.  I didn't say she doesn't have a right to be a bigot, so you can slide the First Amendment off to the side because it's not on the table.  I also have the right to call her one.  By the way someone saying a Christian man wants to see all women barefoot and pregnant doesn't rise to bigotry, IMO.  Just like if someone said Muslims like to see their wives barefoot and pregnant, not really to the level of bigotry.  However if someone said there was something sinister about having Bibles and crosses ("there is something bigger there!") or if they said Christians shouldn't be allowed to immigrate into the US, legally or illegally, because you never can tell, I would call that bigotry.  That's not "painting with a broad brush.(like the barefoot and pregnant comment,)"  That is encouraging people and trying to influence Government policies (she is running for office) to actively discriminate against a religious group.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting stacymomof2:

That is not what she said.  I quoted her exactly.  I'm surprised at you, actually.  I thought this much bigotry was beneath you.  She didn't say radical even once in her little dissertation on immigrants.  She said (paraphrase) they appreahended 28000 of them, other people who are not from mexico.  Then she talked about the 28000 illegals being from China and the middle east. Then she said the middle easterners look like mexicans or south americans and they mix.  And then she says right after that the "those people" (referring to middle eastern immigrants) sentence.  So tell me where she was talking about extremists.  

And what the hell do Quar'ans and prayer rugs have to do with extremists or illegal immigrants at all?  Why doesn't she say "extremists" in that explanation.  Keep in mind this isn't some gotcha question in front of a crowd.  She is calmly explaining her beliefs.  Therte is no question what she believes and you are going along with it.

If someone said those things in front of me I would call them out immediately.  Don't sit there and act like its all innocent or she is talking about extremists or terrorists.  when does she even say that except in the clip of the TEA party speech?

You know, it's not like she is hiding it or being coy.  She wants people to know.  She is straight up front about it.  I'm not putting words in her mouth, you are.

Here is her response:

The Daily Star reports that Saucedo Mercer criticized Grijalva on Friday for accusing her of racism.

“He plays the race card because that is all he has,” she said. “This campaign is about his record. It’s not about phony accusations. Bring it on, Grijalva!”

Asked whether she believes legal immigrants who are Muslim want to harm Americans, she said “The 9/11 terrorists were here legally, rest my case.”

“Of course, its, you think about these ‘other than Mexicans.’ Just last year, I don’t have the numbers, I remember taking notes, but if I remember correctly it was 25,000 that they were able to apprehend, ‘other than Mexicans.’ That includes Chinese, Middle Easterners. If you know Middle Easterners, a lot of them they look Mexican, they look like a lot of people in South America, dark skin, brown hair, brown eyes, and they mix, they mix in. And those people, their only goal in life is to, to cause harm to the United States. So why do we want them here, either legally or illegally?” http://www.mohavedailynews.com/articles/2012/09/09/news/state/doc504c59b12e191890219503.txt

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting stacymomof2:

No, special, what makes her bigoted is saying this: "Those people, [middle easterners] their only goal is to cause harm to the United States. So why do we want them here, either legally or illegally?" 58 sec through 1 min 4 sec.

"They have found prayer rugs, they have found copies of the Quar'an...so this tells you that this is not...you know..just poor illegals that are trying to come to this country and find work.  It's bigger than that."  1min 12 sec through 1 minute 28 sec.

Is that stating the obvious, yourspecial?  That's a freaking bigot.  Get off the need to defend her against the oversensitive PC liberals and see it for what it is.  That is not a "difference of opinion."  That is ignorant fear mongering.  

Nobody thinks she's a bigot because she said they have brown skin and brown eyes.  they are saying she's a bigot because of her exact words I quoted above.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Radical Muslims have been using the same border crossings other illegals have.  This is nothing new.  She is only stating the obvious when she says they are able to blend in easily.

I do disagree they all are bad.  But, last I checked she is entitled her opinion.

Interesting how a differing opinion has become racist and bigoted...kind of makes the true nature of those words meaningless.

Her words may be harsh, but they are not bigoted.  She is entitled her opinion, just as I am entitled not to agree with it.

In the not too distant past they did find evidence of radical Muslims using the same crossings those from Mexico were...they even apprehended  a cleric with some nasty ties.  So we can't say she just dreamed it up..she took some circumstances and ran with it...that doesn't make her a bigot imo.

Personally, I wish people running for office would speak their mind more often.  It would be a lot easier to find those you agree/disagree with.

She didn't have to say...and not saying it doesn't make her a bigot...it just means she thinks they all are.  People paint others with broad brushes all the time...it isn't accurate..it isn't right..it is uncouth..it is tacky...but it isn't bigotry. 

I am not going along with it.  In my first answer I said I do not agree with her..but she is entitled to her opinion.  Just like the people that think all Christian men are determined to see women barefoot, pregnant, with no rights at all.  We have some very vocal anti-Christians on here...I don't consider them bigots either.  I consider them people with an opinion different than mine....and a Constitutional right to voice it.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Well that might be relevant if I didn't post her whole quote from another source right in this exact back and forth we have been having.  I highlighted it for you.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

LOL  Funny how youtube all of the sudden becomes a creditable source, even when highly edited, when it supports your views...  more hypocrisy.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

August 29, 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

END PRESS RELEASE

Quoting stacymomof2:

big·ot

noun \ˈbi-gət\

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Here is her response:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:47 AM
How is calling out ignorance pc?

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bleedingheart8D
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

It's a damn good question! The amount of racist, homophobia and sexism I have seen on this site, from women, absolutely disgust me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured