Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ohio governor at Romney rally: Our wives are at home doing laundry

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 1:08 AM
  • 152 Replies

Republican Gov. John Kasich of Ohio said Wednesday at a Romney campaign rally that his wife was at home doing laundry while he gave political speeches.

“You know, Jane Portman, Karen Kasich, and Janna Ryan, they operate an awful lot of the time in the shadows,” he said in Owensville, referring to the wife of Ohio Sen. Rob Portman, his own wife, and the wife of Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan, respectively.

“It’s not easy to be a spouse of an elected official,” Kasich continued. “You know, they’re at home, doing the laundry and doing so many things while we’re up here on the stage getting applause, right? They don’t often share in it. And it is hard for the spouse to hear the criticism and to put up with the travel schedule and to have to be at home taking care of the kids. And where is the politician? Out on the road.”

Like other Republicans, Kasich has had to fight off claims that he is engaged in a so-called “war on women” because of his opposition to reproductive rights.

“Since the 2010 elections, Governor Kasich and the legislature have conducted a relentless war on women passing legislation that bans later term abortion care without an exception for rape or incest,” Kellie Copeland, executive director of NARAL Pro-Choice Ohio, said in August.

by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 1:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lizardannie1966
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 1:19 AM
4 moms liked this

I'm guessing (and I stress that word) that perhaps he meant more that they're keeping the "home fires" burning while the "men folk" are out on the road, campaigning.

Still, can be taken almost sexist in a way.

But I get what he means.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Sep. 13, 2012 at 6:58 AM
8 moms liked this

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 7:24 AM
3 moms liked this
In the words of Mr Garrison

I don't trust anything that bleeds for 7 days and doesn't die

Quoting Woodbabe:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 7:26 AM
7 moms liked this
I'm sure Ann "may the odds even be in your favor" Romney is home doing laundry

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Sep. 13, 2012 at 8:41 AM
17 moms liked this

The only thing missing from his speech was a demand for her to make him a sammich.

*SMDH*

candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 13, 2012 at 8:45 AM
5 moms liked this

If we had more mothers at home keeping the home fires burning, we wouldn't have so many kids in this country out on the streets getting into trouble.

mamivon2
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 8:48 AM
7 moms liked this

Well someone has to wash their clothes... and besides maybe they arent doing laundry I bet they are on cafemom

CarolinaGirl725
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 8:48 AM
3 moms liked this
The new philosophy of the Romney-Ryan campaign; "Happy Hunger Games!"

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I'm sure Ann "may the odds even be in your favor" Romney is home doing laundry

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlyNKatsMom
by New Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Regardless of what he "meant" I would think a politician (who's primary skill should be public speaking) could  have phrased that better. IMO that was a fruedian slip and he backpeddled with everything that followed.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

What a thoughtful response! You're probably right.

Poor choice of words but i guess thats what happens when you're not importanant enough to have a speech writter. 

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I'm guessing (and I stress that word) that perhaps he meant more that they're keeping the "home fires" burning while the "men folk" are out on the road, campaigning.

Still, can be taken almost sexist in a way.

But I get what he means.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured