Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mother's choice or Grandparents rights? What should come first?

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM
  • 672 Replies
2 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Should the grandparents be granted the right to adopt their grandson?

Options:

Yes, the mom doesn't want him and they do.

No, Even though she's giving him up for adoption, she still has say over where he goes.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 1628

View Results

There's a woman who's been estranged from her parents for about 5 years. They never really got along, then there was a big fight and the daughter decided to cut them off. 5 years later she becomes pregnant and decides to give the baby up for adoption. Her parents get wind of it and ask to adopt the baby themselves. The daughter adamantly refuses so her parents are forced to take her to court to fight her for the right to adopt their grandson.

What do you think the judge should decide?

by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rfurlongg
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:49 PM
57 moms liked this
There are too many variables. With all the facts the judge should decide what is best for the baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizardannie1966
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:50 PM
32 moms liked this

Why has she been estranged from them for so long?

I would think that this might be important in determining if they can even attempt to qualify for adopting the child.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:51 PM
5 moms liked this
If they are estranged I'd ask why...

If its because the parents are crazy then I think the grandparents shouldn't get custody.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angie_O
by Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:52 PM
12 moms liked this

not enough details. I definitely hope the judge digs deep into this case to make an appropriate decision.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:57 PM

She was a wild child and her parents were very straight laced. They didn't like a lot of her choices, which led to a lot of fights then eventually she just stopped talking to them.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I would think that this might be important in determining if they can even attempt to qualify for adopting the child.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Billiebeth
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:58 PM
24 moms liked this

They do not have a right to that child.

Themis_Defleo
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:59 PM
18 moms liked this

There is a preference under the law to place children with their biological family.  If it is in the child's best interest to be with the grandparents, and Mom doesn't want or can't care for the child, then the placement is proper.

This isn't about grandparents rights.  There "are" no "grandparents rights."

LuvMyBrennaBean
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:59 PM
18 moms liked this

I always want to say Mother's choice... but in this instance, she's giving up that choice in choosing to give up her child. 

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:02 PM
4 moms liked this

See that's what I was thinking too.

Quoting LuvMyBrennaBean:

I always want to say Mother's choice... but in this instance, she's giving up that choice in choosing to give up her child. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lizardannie1966
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:06 PM

*sigh

So because they're "straight-laced," and please define that, she'd rather the child go to strangers?

I'm wondering if the Mother's concern might be that at some point in time, she may reconcile with her parents and she would then see this child she had given up for adoption? Somehow, I can understand that better.

Quoting paganbaby:

She was a wild child and her parents were very straight laced. They didn't like a lot of her choices, which led to a lot of fights then eventually she just stopped talking to them.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN