Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is Your School Still Asking For Stuff

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:51 PM
  • 48 Replies

Just when I thought I was done spending money between school supplies, new school clothes, two simultaneous fundraisers, two different picture days, music fees, theater fees, uniform fees and more........I just got a letter from the school saying they are still in need of hand sanitizer, contruction paper, general school and office supplies (seriously, what is that....pens, paperclips, computer????), art supplies (paper plates, paper towels, magazines, wrapping paper, ribbon, yarn, string, scrapbooking paper, crayons, glue, water color, markers, colored pencils and glitter).

Just can't afford much more.

Is/are your school(s) still asking for stuff?

by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katy_kay08
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:14 PM
3 moms liked this

No at this point they aren't, but I can understand their predicament.   We no longer want/do fund our schools completely with our tax dollars and at some point parents are going to need to assume more of the direct cost, as teachers shouldn't be absorbing the costs to teach our kids.  

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:23 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree that its not fair to expect the teachers to absorb the cost of the budget cuts and lowered salaries by paying out of pocket to educate their kids. IF I have the funds to afford it, I'd gladly pick up a few needed items. I can't imagine how hard this is for the teachers.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:23 PM

That's the thing.  If we assume more, stop taxing us for what your not providing.  They are asking all these supplies for the art room, yet, our levy dollars ($800 per home owner in the county) is suppose to be supporting the art program(s).  Our state already doesn't pay for our lunch program (at all, not one cent).  Our PTA gives the teachers a stypend every year for school supplies, not the state.  The PTA gives the library money for books, not the state.  The PTA pays for the school buses, not the state.  What exactly is the state paying for?  The only thing I can think of is teacher/admin pay and utilities, transportation (which is partially funded from other sources).  It just seems to me, there should be more money available.

Quoting katy_kay08:

No at this point they aren't, but I can understand their predicament.   We no longer want/do fund our schools completely with our tax dollars and at some point parents are going to need to assume more of the direct cost, as teachers shouldn't be absorbing the costs to teach our kids.  

katy_kay08
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM

They aren't taxing you for what they aren't providing, because if they were there would be a surplus and programs wouldn't have to be cut.  More houses forclosure means less property taxes going into the pot.  At some point we have to decide what we want them to cut, the enrichment programs (sports, music, art) in order to pay for the supplies parent's don't want to provide.  

Quoting GotSomeKids:

That's the thing.  If we assume more, stop taxing us for what your not providing.  They are asking all these supplies for the art room, yet, our levy dollars ($800 per home owner in the county) is suppose to be supporting the art program(s).  Our state already doesn't pay for our lunch program (at all, not one cent).  Our PTA gives the teachers a stypend every year for school supplies, not the state.  The PTA gives the library money for books, not the state.  The PTA pays for the school buses, not the state.  What exactly is the state paying for?  The only thing I can think of is teacher/admin pay and utilities, transportation (which is partially funded from other sources).  It just seems to me, there should be more money available.

Quoting katy_kay08:

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Can't afford to supply.  Not don't want to supply.

But, this issue (at least here) has gone on long before the downturn in the economy.  We have voted 3 times to move money back into a dedicated fund, but every few years money that was suppose to be earmarked for education ends up back into the general fund.  When the stimulus money came to our district a few years ago, the state took it.  We never saw it.

I realize this is really not an issue with kids school, but with the state and how they handle the money.  I'm so frustrated.  I'm just so shocked that they are at a point that they can't even afford general supplies anymore and we are being taxed to provide for those art programs.

Ugg!!!!!

Quoting katy_kay08:

They aren't taxing you for what they aren't providing, because if they were there would be a surplus and programs wouldn't have to be cut.  More houses forclosure means less property taxes going into the pot.  At some point we have to decide what we want them to cut, the enrichment programs (sports, music, art) in order to pay for the supplies parent's don't want to provide.  

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting katy_kay08:

katy_kay08
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:37 PM

While you may want to and can't I've read enough posts on the topic to know that many seem truly resent the fact that they have to purchase supplies for their kids.  

I would probably look at the cost of private music lessons in comparison to what is provided by the school and then head off to target to pick up some paper plates, pens and crayons.  (Crayola crayons were .25 a box and spiral notebooks were .17 a piece during the height of back to school shopping, we stock up and send them through out the year).  

I do agree that the school has little control over how the state manages their budget and allocates the funding.  

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Can't afford to supply.  Not don't want to supply.

But, this issue (at least here) has gone on long before the downturn in the economy.  We have voted 3 times to move money back into a dedicated fund, but every few years money that was suppose to be earmarked for education ends up back into the general fund.  When the stimulus money came to our district a few years ago, the state took it.  We never saw it.

I realize this is really not an issue with kids school, but with the state and how they handle the money.  I'm so frustrated.  I'm just so shocked that they are at a point that they can't even afford general supplies anymore and we are being taxed to provide for those art programs.

Ugg!!!!!

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Lizardannie1966
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM

While I no longer have a child in a public school and will not (our two oldest kids are adults and our only minor child is home-schooled), I would not have a problem in helping the teacher out.

They pay out of their own pockets for a good portion of these kind of supplies and it should be a shared responsibility IMO.

However, if a parent is strapped financially (a parent in general), they need to be honest and let the teacher know.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Homeschool.  My tax dollars go to our schools and if my kids were in public schools that would be more than enough out of me. 

ittybit2012
by Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:39 PM
I send what I can. I let the teacher know exactly what I can afford too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arroree
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

The teachers spend a ton of their personal money on supplies for their rooms since the schools don't give them nearly enough and few parents actually bring in what they ask them to at the start of the year. I know in my sons class we were one of only 3 sets of parents to bring in school supplies at the start of the year, the teacher had to supply for all the other students.

The same thing happened with this last weeks project when each student was asked to bring one apple, only about half the kids brought one in. Seriously, an apple, not a huge expense, just about 20cents added to that weeks grocery bill, no reason for a parent not to send one in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured