Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

5 year old still showers with her dad... Ok or taboo?

Posted by   + Show Post
My bf's dd just told us tonight that her cousin who is 5 still showers with her dad sometimes.

When do you think you cut off ur dd from showering with her dad? Or when is there a cutoff time for your ds showering with you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Replies (21-30):
bellawomen
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:41 AM

Who cares?  Are they both comfortable with it?  Trust me, one of them will become uncomfortable and it will stop.   My son stopped showering with me when he was about 5/6, but he stopped showering with his dad when he was 3/4 because my stbx became uncomfortable.

bellawomen
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:43 AM
1 mom liked this

So when they are old enough to ask questions, we should shield them from the truth?

Quoting x2kidsn1bendux:

I think 5 is to old personally- when they're old enough to ask questions and know what body parts its time for separate showers imo

hyper_bunny
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:47 AM
I have actually never showered with my son. He is four and I don't think his father has ever showered with him either. We just never felt comfortable with it. I guess when she knows the anatomical difference between boys and girls. Lol I don't know though, whenever her parents feel it is time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:51 AM
depends on the child. my 4 1/2 yr old still bathes with me but he is cognetive slower because of ear problems. if he wasn't cognetive slower he would probably be bathing by himself. He hated baths till about 6 months ago. not sure why. but he still hates to have his hair washed so I have to do it for him. it is just easier to bath with him.
Lunarprancer
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:53 AM
My daughter will be five soon. She has never met her Father, soooo, a shower, no.
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly the only 2 of my kids who don't try getting into the shower with me the 11yr and the 16yr.. the 4yr still showers with me or her dad depends on her moof... I am in agreement with the majority when they are uncomfortable they will stop. My only boy still calls me in to check and make sure he get all the soap out of his hair.

FrogSalad
by Sooze on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:09 AM

My six-year old son always wants to shower with me.  It is easier for me to get his hair washed that way.  The downside is that I can't have the water as hot as I like it when he's in there with me.

Quoting Arroree:

Meh as long as it's just showering i see nothing wrong with it. My boys still shower with me quite often, it makes the process much quicker and easier than me trying to lean over the tub around the curtain in my clothes while i clean them since they do showers instead of baths and 5 is still too young to shower by themselves.

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:20 AM
2 moms liked this
"Junk"? How old are you now? Can't you call it a penis as an adult? Does your DH have junk? How about any DSs?

Discomfort with human anatomy is a much bigger problem than the original post, imho.

Quoting jshalas89:

When they start remembering. So about 4 no later. 5 is way too old. I remember seeing my dads, ugh..junk and that just disgusts me now. I was about 5.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gilbertgrl627
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:27 AM

When it becomes uncomfortable for one of them. My DH hasn't showered with our DD since she was probably 18 months, because it was uncomfortable for him.Occasionally, if we're running late, I'll shower with our DS1. He's 3. DH does not because he's uncomfortable. For him, the "cut-off" was about 18 months. My kids have seen me naked. I have them stay in my bedroom while I shower (if no one is home- which, DH works long hours, so usually when I shower, it's while it just the kiddos and myself). My cut-off is probably age 6 for my DD, and age 4 with my sons.

gilbertgrl627
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

That's what I call it. Does it matter? My kids know (or will know) what the "technical" names are, but we call it junk. DH and I didn't start to until after we had kids, but even if they're not around, that's what we end up calling it. "Junk" is what we call our privates- boy and girl. Oh, and I'm 31 (DH is 32) and referring to it as "junk" has nothing to do with discomfort with human anatomy..

Quoting Bookwormy:

"Junk"? How old are you now? Can't you call it a penis as an adult? Does your DH have junk? How about any DSs?

Discomfort with human anatomy is a much bigger problem than the original post, imho.

Quoting jshalas89:

When they start remembering. So about 4 no later. 5 is way too old. I remember seeing my dads, ugh..junk and that just disgusts me now. I was about 5.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)