Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

5 year old still showers with her dad... Ok or taboo?

Posted by   + Show Post
My bf's dd just told us tonight that her cousin who is 5 still showers with her dad sometimes.

When do you think you cut off ur dd from showering with her dad? Or when is there a cutoff time for your ds showering with you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Replies (31-40):
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:41 AM

It's probally bad of me but because they all took turns bathing or showering with me they all can stand hot water... when i bath i fill the tube with straight hot water (same with the shower) and they all still will climb in.. Pink skin and all... lol... I am not trying to pick on you Frog honestly it gave me a giggle.. I wish my need for hot showers and baths was a deterrent lol

Quoting FrogSalad:

My six-year old son always wants to shower with me.  It is easier for me to get his hair washed that way.  The downside is that I can't have the water as hot as I like it when he's in there with me.

Quoting Arroree:

Meh as long as it's just showering i see nothing wrong with it. My boys still shower with me quite often, it makes the process much quicker and easier than me trying to lean over the tub around the curtain in my clothes while i clean them since they do showers instead of baths and 5 is still too young to shower by themselves.

lga1965
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I think they need privacy after about age 4. My kids took baths together when they were toddlers. By the time they were in elementary school they tried showering alone. Parents need privacy too. I wanted to bathe without kids being there.
We allowed each other our own space. There is too much togetherness now days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
It's a penis.

They all pretty much look the same. LOL!

Quoting jshalas89:

When they start remembering. So about 4 no later. 5 is way too old. I remember seeing my dads, ugh..junk and that just disgusts me now. I was about 5.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I was about to ask that same question...

Quoting bellawomen:

So when they are old enough to ask questions, we should shield them from the truth?

Quoting x2kidsn1bendux:

I think 5 is to old personally- when they're old enough to ask questions and know what body parts its time for separate showers imo

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:51 AM
This

Quoting bearsbabies:

When they or u feel its awkward
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:01 AM
[quote name="LindaClement" id="0"]

I have never believed in 'the number of times the earth revolves around the sun means _____' so I have no magic age when it's 'inappropriate'

A man who's screwing his 4mo should not be showering with him. A man who is not screwing his children... something else.

I think it's totally disgusting, how many people automatically think 'nudity = pedophile' and I think it say a LOT about the inside of their own heads that they probably don't want anyone else knowing about.

[/quote

Or.....they have had something traumatic happen in their lives and they are extra protective.
LexRi0709
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:23 AM
There is nothing wrong with dad giving his daughter a bath, or mom giving her son a bath. I just don't agree with taking a bath/shower with them.

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting LexRi0709:

Imo parents shouldn't shower with children of the opposite sex, ever. My girls are 3 and 5, and I have probably showered 2x with each girl. I'm just not comfortable with it.

Throughout history the closest, kindest and most family centered societies have been societies that practice communal bathing rather than those who go off and privately bathe. There's nothing wrong with a father bathing his daughters or a mother bathing her sons.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LexRi0709
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:27 AM
I did take my kids in the shower with me when they were babies, like 2x each. To me, my shower is my private, personal time. I don't agree with it after they are like 1.5/2 yrs old. Esecially if they are opposite sex. I'm not bashing anyone. If you are ok with it, then go for it. Its just not right for me, or my family.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Just because you're not comfortable doesn't mean other parents aren't...

Why "never"? When my husband was deployed and my son was a baby I couldn't bring him in the shower with me? That's silly...

Quoting LexRi0709:

Imo parents shouldn't shower with children of the opposite sex, ever. My girls are 3 and 5, and I have probably showered 2x with each girl. I'm just not comfortable with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collegemomma844
by New Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:36 AM

That is totally gross and wrong!!! I say never let a child shower with hubby. I do think a mother can take a bath with infant. Two month old no older than that. I have heard it's easier. 

lga1965
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
She is free to call it whatever she wants to. We all are. Try not to judge, okay?

Quoting Bookwormy:

"Junk"? How old are you now? Can't you call it a penis as an adult? Does your DH have junk? How about any DSs?

Discomfort with human anatomy is a much bigger problem than the original post, imho.

Quoting jshalas89:

When they start remembering. So about 4 no later. 5 is way too old. I remember seeing my dads, ugh..junk and that just disgusts me now. I was about 5.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)