Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why is your child overweight or obese?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:11 PM
  • 357 Replies

This is a spin off from the thread about obese school children.  In that thread it was stated that 1 in 3 children are overweight or obese.  This means, statistically speaking, that many of the children of mothers here on Cafemom are overweight or obese. 

If your children are overweight or obese, why are they overweight or obese?  How did it happen and what are you doing about it?

by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:12 PM
15 moms liked this

I think some parents are in denial about their child's weight.

TrouserMouse
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:14 PM
3 moms liked this

All 4 of my children are on the low end of average or underweight.

I have a cousin with 4 kids.  She is obese, but her two oldest girls are thin and athletic. She had them involved with sports.  They are 19 and 17 now.  She got divorced and had two children with a different man.  The younger 2 that are about 10 and 7 are very obese.  I know they drank too much milk and got too many snacks, but she is still the same mom.  I didn't see her parenting change.  She still got her little ones involved in sports.  I know there has to be a genetic contributor.

SarahLizyB
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

My child's a scrawny thing, but if he was overweight, I would do everything to get him healthy.

Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Mine are not. They are perfectly proportional, as their pedi says. Lol. Dd1 looks like a ballerina, and dd2 is a bit broader, but all muscle like my little sis. Not an ounce of fat on that kid. (Except her cute little cheeks. :)
krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:18 PM
3 moms liked this

I'll bump for you. My kids are super thin, but healthy, and can eat all day. So their weight is no reflection on me, honestly. (Although we *mostly* eat fairly healthy)

I would like to say, right off the bat, that processed food companies spend billions of dollars a year on figuring out just exactly what it is that keeps us eating. And they're focused on profit, so if they deem something like this worth spending that kind of money on, it obviously works. 

This is not said to relieve individuals and families of responsibility in choices they make. But it's important to remember that we're not starting out on the level, we're starting out way below the line, shoved down there by the research, marketing, and addictive additives of those companies. That way, we know what it is we're up against and how to proceed to make our communities healthier and create higher qualities of life. 

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:18 PM

My children are thin.

My niece is obese, her brother has been under weight his whole life while she has been over weight.

My other nephew is pudgy. My brother recently divorced and for the last 2 years my nephew's health has deteriorated and he has gained a significant amount of weight. My brother and his ex wife insist on blaming each other. As far as I know neither one of them has attempted to exercise with him or restrict what he eats.

Peanutx3
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:19 PM

My kids are not overweight.  They all stay pretty active but they are naturally trim.

Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM
My oldest is currently in the norm range but he was on the overweight range (just barely) at 3. A lot had to do with his lack of height...but I took the information and adjusted his diet accordingly. I feel confident he will be overweight in the future so I am extra on him about his eating choices. My other two are well in the norm range. I know what a struggle obesity is first-hand and I wish my parents had been educated. I can't believe the things my son says other Kindergarteners eat for lunch!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:25 PM
2 moms liked this

My children are both in the 40th. percentile. They are very active. Very little t.v., lots of playing.

MyJaidonreturns
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:26 PM
My son is not thin he's a perfect medium build and extremely tall for his age. We dont eat as well as we should, but I will do my best to prevent both of my kids from being overweight. Starting with myself, I'm overweight and I need to prepare better meals for me and my family. So in all of that useless gibberish I just wrote here is a bump and I'm marking my spot here because I'm curious myself. Nice post FS.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured