Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why is your child overweight or obese?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is a spin off from the thread about obese school children.  In that thread it was stated that 1 in 3 children are overweight or obese.  This means, statistically speaking, that many of the children of mothers here on Cafemom are overweight or obese. 

If your children are overweight or obese, why are they overweight or obese?  How did it happen and what are you doing about it?

by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Replies (351-357):
GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM

My son was like that at that age (he is 12 now).  Doc said he was big but didn't worry about.  The minute he turned 2, he shed everything had developed a very, very athletic build until last year (he put on some weight).

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

My daughter was like that from birth always high 70-80's for weight and height, she turns 11 next month and she is still like that.

Quoting afwifey4510:

My dd is 99 percentile for her weight (26 lbs)and 84 for height(30.75 in), or was at her 12 month(she's almost 15 months). So she's "overweight" but I'm chalking it up tougher not walking until she was 14 months old. So she'll probably still be over weight at the 15 month check up. I won't be concerned unless she's still overweight at 18 month's.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:56 AM

My son was one ounce shy of 10 lbs when he was born and was big probably the first two years of his life.  Then, he didn't gain any weight for almost 5 years (although he was growing).  He developed a very athletic build (until last year) and is just fine.

My daughter was born just shy of 9 lbs.  Now, everytime I take her in the doctor keeps tellng me she needs to put on some weight.

Quoting pattya925:

Quoting lga1965:

The theory that big babies are going to be big kids is lame and laughable. We have a history of big babies and slim kids,slim adults.My grandson was 9 pounds 7 ounces at birth. He has always been very thin. You know why? Because his mom doesn't overfeed her family and the foods they eat are healthy, served in small portions with no second helpings. And they are an active family.

Okay, I'm ready for the bashing and excuses.

No excuses people.

No bashing and excuses here... Some of the smallest people I know were the biggest babies... I don't think there is any real correlation.. My son was born big and just stayed big despite us doing "all the right things".  Other children slim out.. Some start as peanuts and end up obese...  Just my 2 cents.

DestineyBGP
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:31 AM

I have one son that's pudgy :) he is about 2 or 3 pounds overweight as far as bmi goes and super super short, his brother did the same thing and is now thin, I myself need to loose 10 pounds to be at a healthy BMI and have been working on it.  I am the most overweight one in our family at 142 pounds as far as BMI, so if your asking why my son is shortest kid in his class and has a few extra pounds on him... pretty sure he will be getting taller soon and it wont be an issue for long, all of us eat pretty healthy ... well aside from my lunch dates with my pals... hence being 10 pounds overweight. 

DestineyBGP
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:35 AM

oh here is a more recent one with all the kiddos , like I said we all eat the same thing, go on bike rides, take the same walks and what not, the rest of the kiddos are underweight he is a few pounds over for his height, So the question what am I doing about it? Nothing, I don't think there is an issue there, now what am I doing about it for me? Elliptical and 6 small protein and carb balanced meals a day.

white_wolf454
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:48 AM
my sons under weight
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:26 AM

Because they usually look like their mommas...They are on the same diet and exercise plan that she is on.

mommy_of_2_kids
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I have 2 kids. A daughter who is 5 and a son who is 9. My son is leading towards obesity, when he was younger he was slim, I don't know what happened. My daughter is slim and tall.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN