Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Congrats CNN....U stepped over the line.

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:52 AM
  • 12 Replies

CNN Admits Finding Slain Ambassador’s Personal Journal in Libya…And Using it for ‘Tips’

On Friday night, Anderson Cooper revealed on his show that CNN used Ambassador Christopher Stevens’ personal journal as a source in its reporting after the deadly attack that killed Stevens and three other Americans in Benghazi, Libya.

Discussing when, specifically, the information was used, Cooper said:

On Wednesday of this week, we reported that a source familiar with Ambassador Stevens’ thinking said in the months before his death, Ambassador Stevens talked about being worried about what he called the never-ending security threats in Benghazi.

We also reported that the ambassador specifically mentioned the rise in Islamic extremism, the growing Al Qaeda presence in Libya and said he was on an Al Qaeda hit list. The information for that report, like all of CNN’s reporting, was carefully vetted. Some of that information was found in a personal journal of Ambassador Stevens in his handwriting.

We came upon the journal through our reporting and notified the family. At their request, we returned that journal to them. We reported what we found newsworthy in the ambassador’s writings… [Emphasis added]

Though Cooper appears to relay the information as nothing more than a side note, the Wall Street Journal is reporting that there is much more to the story.

Not only did CNN fail to mention for days the fact that it apparently used the personal journal of a murdered ambassador as a source, Stevens’ family reportedly asked CNN not to discuss the journal or its contents until they had a chance to review it.

Furthermore, Philippe Reines, a senior adviser to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, disputes CNN’s assertion that the network contacted the family within hours of finding the journal and readily agreed to return it. Apparently it took several attempts to get CNN to agree to hand over the private information.

State Department spokesman Philippe Reines called CNN’s actions “indefensible.”

Early Saturday morning, CNN published a story with more information on the journal, and how exactly it came into the network’s possession.

The network explains:

Four days after he was killed, CNN found a journal belonging to late U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens. The journal was found on the floor of the largely unsecured consulate compound where he was fatally wounded.

CNN notified Stevens‘ family about the journal within hours after it was discovered and at the family’s request provided it to them via a third party.

The journal consists of just seven pages of handwriting in a hard-bound book.

For CNN, the ambassador’s writings served as tips about the situation in Libya, and in Benghazi in particular. CNN took the newsworthy tips and corroborated them with other sources.

Here is video of Cooper’s admission, via Mediaite:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/cnn-admits-finding-slain-ambassadors-personal-journal-in-libya-and-using-it-for-tips/

by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 8:38 AM

"State Department spokesman Philippe Reines called CNN’s actions “indefensible.”

jewjewbee
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:02 AM
lol, the obama channel fucks up again.
LadyBugMom09
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Are they upset because they went against the family wishes or because what the Ambassador wrote goes against what they're saying that they had no forewarning of the attacks??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
denise3680
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I did think it was odd that they even had access to that journal:/   I think someone may have had the wrong channel, the Obama network is MSNBC, my goodness tha network is so to the left t is riduculous.  Reminds me of how far to the right Fox is:/  CNN is more to the middle than any other network besides bbc.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I think the family should sue.  CNN used stolen property for financial gain.  I also think charges should be considered....evidence was removed from a crime scene.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:13 AM
Romney, Bush, etc doesn't own FOX & Obama doesn't own CNN. CNN made a bad decision all on their own & it certainly isn't the president's fault. In fact, it sounds like high up folks in the administration (Clinton) tried to help Stevens' family retrieve the journal.

I'd like to ask you again though, what's up with the handle "jewjewbee"? Are you Jewish? What does "jewjewbee" mean?

Quoting jewjewbee:

lol, the obama channel fucks up again.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
denise3680
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

Are they upset because they went against the family wishes or because what the Ambassador wrote goes against what they're saying that they had no forewarning of the attacks??

I would think that they should be upset aboutboth, but was this not a personal journal, not for everyone to see or read?  Are we speculating that others knew the secret concerns of the Ambassador?  To what extent were the concerns talked about, if they were even talked about at all.  Except for bringing up that things are  getting touchy, which in a turbulent country, what day would not be touchy and being American is not safe to be over there anyways.  

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:21 AM

In the movie 13 days, Kennedy and Bobby had a meeting with a journalist that had information from a good "source." The source happened to be a high ranking member of the KGB , a spy and personal friend to Brezhnev. They used this information to contact Brezhnev with offers during the Cuban missle crisis. I am wondering how CNN obtained this journal in then first place! 

LadyBugMom09
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:21 AM
If the media gets ahold of something they're going to report it. That's what the media does. They don't keep secrets.... they tell.

I'm sure the Ambassador had informed people of what was going on. That was his job. I think it's ridiculous that the White House keeps saying they had no warning.

Yes, working at an embassy in the middle east is probably very dangerous. But if he noticed a shift in the climate and felt in damger, I'm sure that didn't happen every day or he wouldn't have written about it. And I'm sure he would have informed people in or linked to the White House about his feelings and unrest.

I'm not saying that what CNN did was right or ethical, but they're a news station.... I think the White House is just upset because it doesn't show them in a good light.

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

I would think that they should be upset aboutboth, but was this not a personal journal, not for everyone to see or read?  Are we speculating that others knew the secret concerns of the Ambassador?  To what extent were the concerns talked about, if they were even talked about at all.  Except for bringing up that things are  getting touchy, which in a turbulent country, what day would not be touchy and being American is not safe to be over there anyways.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jesi_79
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

1.  Although many believe that CNN was not ethical in using the journal, there is nothing in journalistic ethics prohibiting it.  Bad taste is not unethical.

2.  The Obama administration is totally frakked up blaming CNN for taking the journal "from a crime scene" while in the next breath saying that all personnel have been removed and all security personnel withdrawn; in essence saying they abandoned the buidling. 

3.  CNN demonstrated their committment to the Obama lie on the Embassy attacks even after finding the journal.  They suck as a news organization because they are afraid to tell the truth even when they know it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN