Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Redistribution is bad!

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 11 Replies

Second, for future generations of seniors, Mitt believes that benefits should continue to grow but that the growth rate should be lower for those with higher incomes.

But this weekend’s 60 Minutes interview with Romney (there was also one with Obama) proved Romney to be a redistributionist when he talked about Medicare. Interestingly, he did not begin with his plan to voucherize Medicare. Rather, he began by talking about means-testing the program. “What I do in my Medicare plan for younger people coming along is say this,” Romney said. “We’re going to have higher benefits for low income people and lower benefits for high income people. We’re going to make it more means tested. I think if we do that, we’ll make sure to preserve Medicare into the indefinite future.”

http://www.tnr.com/blog/plank/107671/proof-mitt-romney-redistributionist#

This is not the full article, but the general gist of it...Top quote is taken from Mitt's campaign website...

by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amsp259
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:31 AM
Uumm and? How is this diffent?? Lower income get free and more stuff now for free, how is this different? Help me understand., thanks in advance
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Tax reform and the tax code are the biggest income redistribution plans in the US- the tax code and reforms are generally not controlled or influenced by those at the bottom.

The R/R Medicare/SS means tested reform plans....too much too fast. People are not quite ready. Lots of work to be done in that area.

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:37 AM

It's going to take a colossal effort to effect any real change in those areas...and I'm worried because of the fact that it is the people at the top making the changes...

Quoting Sisteract:

Tax reform and the tax code are the biggest income redistribution plans in the US- the tax code and reforms are generally not controlled or influenced by those at the bottom.

The R/R Medicare/SS means tested reform plans....too much too fast. People are not quite ready. Lots of work to be done in that area.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this

oh so now he is trying to kiss up to the 47% good luck with that mittens

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I thought it was just a wee bit hypocritical...seeing as how they went to the trouble of digging up a video from 1998 and all...

Quoting glitterteaz:

bellawomen
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:43 AM
What video? Damn I am so behind. Lol

Quoting LucyMom08:

I thought it was just a wee bit hypocritical...seeing as how they went to the trouble of digging up a video from 1998 and all...

Quoting glitterteaz:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/09/obama-redistribution-audio-clip-truncated-by-gop/

Quoting bellawomen:

What video? Damn I am so behind. Lol

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting glitterteaz:

meriana
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Apparently a lot of our lawmakers believe redistribution is a good thing...as long as it goes from the bottom up.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Okay, I am failing to see how this is a big redistributionist thing.  Everyone that works pays into Medicare.  Higher income people have easier access to post retirement insurance...it's not like it is really costing them something.  Plus, it is healthcare for other elderly people...I don't know anyone against that.

Personally, I would be happy if I could opt out of SS and Medicare NOW...they can keep all I have paid in..and I won't collect later on...but I won't have anymore taken out.  I won't be needing either one...the plans I have made are working out very well.

Redistribution though PA and the tax code is a whole different ball of wax.

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Sep. 27, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I was Watching something on Jon Stewart (note i thought he was kidding at first about this) where he showed a clip of Romney swearing He hated Redistribution and was against it to only less then a week later saying he supported it and wanted to do it. This isn't the first thing he flip flopped on 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN