Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So how come for 20 years we heard about Dec 2012 being the end of the world, movies, tv specials, all about 2012. Now that we are a couple months away from that fateful day, no one is talking about it at all. No mention. WTH?

by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM
Replies (31-40):
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 9:47 AM
6 moms liked this

Quoting shannonnigans:

Without trying to sound snarky, how much time do you think we have? What evidence do you have of this, or is it simply a faith thing. Again, not trying to be a jerk, but I can't let it go without asking....

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I believe the Biblical accounting for the end of the world.  read the prophecies that have already been fulfilled---we are getting closer to the end-times. 

We can't know the hour of Christ's return, but there are plenty of prophecies in the Bible that have already been fulfilled.  Some prophecies surrounding Israel must unfold before the return of Christ, but what we hear on the news is sure pointing in that direction.

You may be interested in studying what the Bible has predicted---and make some judgments on what you learn.  It's quite amazing. 

More:

The reason we can trust biblical prophecy is that it, like the rest of Scripture, was written—literally “God-breathed”—by the Creator of the universe. It is inerrant, perfect, and true. We must understand that before we can understand the role of biblical prophecy. (Please see: Why is it important to believe in biblical inerrancy?)

Biblical prophecy plays two roles. It foretells the future, and it explains what the positive or negative results of future events will be. Prophecy may announce events that bring joy and pleasure or fear and foreboding. When prophecy is ignored, it is usually because the hearers don’t like what they hear for one reason or another. Biblical prophecy is not usually general in nature. It normally is very specific as to how it will affect someone or something. But it is always dependable and worthy of our complete trust. We can allow prophecy to help shape our lives, giving us direction and guidance in serving our Lord. It should be a source of strength and instruction for us. Unlike what we hear called “prophecy” today, both in the church and outside the church, true biblical prophecy is always accurate and precise. What God prophesies always occurs.

The prophecy of the Flood in Genesis 6 is an example. God explains His reasons for the flood, gives specific instructions for Noah to build the ark to preserve lives, then produces this first great worldwide catastrophe. God even prophesied that He would never do it again, in
Genesis 9:12-16. Joseph’s dreams in Genesis 37:5-10 contain prophecies which came to pass in chapter 39 through the end of the book. Deuteronomy 18:18 says, “I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him.” This prophecy, pointing to Moses, also foreshadows the Jewish Messiah, our Lord Jesus, and is quoted in Acts 3:22-26. It’s in this same chapter that we’re told (Deuteronomy 18:20) what was done to false prophets in Moses’ time. If their prophecy was false, they were executed. Isaiah chapter 53 contains a compelling prophecy of Jesus Christ: His youth, His ministry, His sin-bearing and suffering, and His offering of Himself. Psalm 22 gives us another prophecy of our Lord’s suffering, couched in a description of King David, Christ’s foreshadow.

In our Lord’s own prophecies, in Matthew 24, He spoke of wars, famines, earthquakes, persecutions, apostasy and betrayals, and finally of His own return, unexpected and widely rejected today. This and other end-time prophecies are as dependable as Noah’s warning of the Flood. Similar predictions of catastrophic events still to come are found in 2 Peter chapters 2–3, together with a prediction (
2 Peter 3:7) of God’s intervention. And in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, Christians are promised a rescue or a resurrection appointment, whether we’re alive or dead. Biblical prophecy provides us a roadmap of the future. To fail to understand these prophecies of the rapture is to miss one of the greatest gifts of God.

Finally, since we can trust
John 3:16, that God loves us and gave us His Son, surely we can rely on Him as Author of biblical prophecy to predict, to encourage, to direct and provide for our future physical and spiritual needs. Our Lord said, in John 14:2, “In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you.” And that should be a prophecy of assurance and encouragement for all Christians. So place your trust in God’s prophecies, just as you placed your trust in His Son.

Recommended Resource:
Understanding End Times Prophecy by Paul Benware.

More:

Revelation 4:1 introduces a section of Scripture that details “things which must be hereafter.” What follows are prophecies of the “end times.” We have not yet reached the tribulation, the revelation of the Antichrist, or other “end-time” events. What we do see is a “preparation” for those events.

Jesus said that the last days would be preceded by several things: many false Christs would come, deceiving many; we would “hear of wars and rumors of wars”; and there would be an increase in “famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in diverse places. All these are the beginning of sorrows” (
Matthew 24:5-8). Today’s news is full of false religions, warfare, and natural disasters. We know that events of the tribulation period will include all that Jesus predicted (Revelation 6:1-8); current events seem to be a build-up for greater trouble ahead.

Paul warned that the last days would bring a marked increase in false teaching. “In later times, some will abandon the faith, and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons” (
1 Timothy 4:1). The last days are described as “perilous times” because of the increasingly evil character of man and because of people who actively “oppose the truth” (2 Timothy 3:1-9; also see 2 Thessalonians 2:3). The list of things people will be in the last days—lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power—(2 Timothy 3:1-2) seems to fit our modern age exactly.

Can there be any doubt that the prophecies concerning apostasy are being fulfilled? Our 21st-century world has embraced moral relativism, a philosophy which is tainting even the church. For example, many denominations are having a hard time defining marriage as being between one man and one woman, and many religious leaders today are openly supporting homosexuality. The Bible has become subordinate to the modern church’s quest for a more appealing “truth.” These are indeed “perilous times” spiritually.

The formation of the European Union—and the fact that we have a reunified Germany—is very interesting in light of biblical prophecy. The “ten toes” of
Daniel 2:42 and the ten-horned beasts of Daniel 7:20 and Revelation 13:1 are references to a “revived” Roman Empire which will hold power before Christ returns. Although the precise political structure has yet to be formed, the pieces can be seen as falling into place.

In 1948, Israel was recognized as a sovereign state, and this, too, has ramifications for the student of Scripture. God promised Abram that his posterity would have Canaan as “an everlasting possession” (
Genesis 17:8), and Ezekiel prophesied a physical and spiritual resuscitation of Israel (Ezekiel 37). Having Israel as a nation in its own land is important in light of end-time prophecy, because of Israel’s prominence in eschatology (Daniel 10:14; 11:41; Revelation 11:8).

While there is no biblical proof that the things mentioned above are the fulfillment of specific end-times prophecies, we can see how many of these events are similar to what the Bible describes. In any case, we are to be watching for these signs because Jesus told us that the day of the Lord—His return for His own—would come like a thief in the night (
2 Peter 3:10), unexpected and unannounced. “Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man" (Luke 21:36).

shannonnigans
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:00 AM
4 moms liked this
I'm sorry I asked. However, to be fair, I actually read what you posted, though I don't believe in it. Nothing there beyond vague generalizations that could and have been said about other times by prior generations. I know you believe it but it does t change that it's faith and only faith.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM
6 moms liked this

I'm still partying like it's 1999 since the world will end in 2000

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting shannonnigans:

I'm sorry I asked. However, to be fair, I actually read what you posted, though I don't believe in it. Nothing there beyond vague generalizations that could and have been said about other times by prior generations. I know you believe it but it does t change that it's faith and only faith.

And were said by every single generation since the beginning of time. Everyone thinks their time is the time, thankfully they have all been wrong.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Sep. 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM
9 moms liked this
It's Obama's fault.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Sep. 29, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Lol.

Quoting FrogSalad:

I feel fine.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Sep. 29, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Prince or Will Smith?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I'm still partying like it's 1999 since the world will end in 2000

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
survivorinohio
by René on Sep. 29, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Quoting UpSheRises:

Because they announced they read the calendar wrong we we still have like another 2000 years to go.

Or at least i read that on the internet at sometime in the last year.

Thats what I read.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 11:06 PM

How convenient for "them" to have discoverd this just in the nick of time! ;)

Quoting UpSheRises:

Because they announced they read the calendar wrong we we still have like another 2000 years to go.

Or at least i read that on the internet at sometime in the last year.

"Women need not always keep their mouths shut and their wombs open." -Emma Goldman

http://masqueradingscientist.blogspot.com/

andiemomo3
by Andie on Sep. 30, 2012 at 12:56 AM
Very good question.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured