Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Michigan Muslims rally against First Amendment (debunked)

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:16 PM
  • 540 Replies

Michigan Muslims rally against First Amendment

Michigan Muslims rally against First Amendment
From the event's website: "The gathering will be attended by over 1,000 community members, clergy, community leaders and public officials of all persuasions who continue to reject the messages of hate and Islamaphobia that have escalated in recent months and years, most recently with the production of the infamous film 'Innocence of Muslims.' " Photo Credit:Facebook

Led by a newspaper publisher, Muslim activists will call for putting limits on American free speech at a Dearborn rally this evening. You can't make this stuff up.

Nearly a decade after Dearborn's streets celebrated America for bringing down Saddam Hussein and opening a door to democracy in the Mideast, the same city will be the epicenter today of calls to squelch free speech. Protesting the film, "Innocence of Muslims," that has sparked protests in the Mideast, rally organizer Tarek Baydoun says that so-called blasphemy laws are necessary to prevent speech that hurts the "the religious feelings of Muslims."

This assault on the First Amendment in the name of the prophet Mohammed is a sad day in America — and confirms fears that Muslim-American activists do not understand the fundamental separation of church and state in the American Constitution.

9/30/12: This blog/article is clearly an attempt to aggravate people. Thanks to a great discussion and multiple contributions "we" have come to the conclusion that this article it bullshit.

by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:16 PM

THE MICHIGAN VIEW - Led by a newspaper publisher, Muslim activists will call for putting limits on American free speech at a Dearborn rally this evening. You can't make this stuff up.

Nearly a decade after Dearborn's streets celebrated America for bringing down Saddam Hussein and opening a door to democracy in the Mideast, the same city will be the epicenter today of calls to squelch free speech. Protesting the film, "Innocence of Muslims," that has sparked protests in the Mideast, rally organizer Tarek Baydoun says that so-called blasphemy laws are necessary to prevent speech that hurts the "the religious feelings of Muslims."

This assault on the First Amendment in the name of the prophet Mohammed is a sad day in America - and confirms fears that Muslim-American activists do not understand the fundamental separation of church and state in the American Constitution.

"There is a need for deterrent legal measures against those individuals or groups that want to damage relations between people, spread hate and incite violence," said Arab-American News publisher Osama Siblani, a self-proclaimed "moderate" who is apparently oblivious to how gutting the First Amendment would affect his own business.

The Dearborn organizers seek an international law banning what they define as anti-Mohammed speech that would supersede American law... {Read More}

AdellesMom
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:19 PM
I am not surprised that this is happening there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:24 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm actually pretty surprised, I really didn't think that American Muslims would take Hezbollah's suggestion for an international ban on denigrating the prophet seriously...it is worrisome, but I have faith that the majority still don't want to go in that direction. 

Quoting AdellesMom:

"Women need not always keep their mouths shut and their wombs open." -Emma Goldman

http://masqueradingscientist.blogspot.com/

ashellbell
by shellbark on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:26 PM
2 moms liked this
As long as it's peaceful, I don't care what they protest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow, that is terrifying. 

rally organizer Tarek Baydoun says that so-called blasphemy laws are necessary to prevent speech that hurts the "the religious feelings of Muslims."

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:30 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting ashellbell:

As long as it's peaceful, I don't care what they protest.

Really?  Do you think it is ok to try to pass laws that take away the freedom of speech?

Quote:

rally organizer Tarek Baydoun says that so-called blasphemy laws are necessary to prevent speech that hurts the "the religious feelings of Muslims."

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Quoting stringtheory:

I'm actually pretty surprised, I really didn't think that American Muslims would take Hezbollah's suggestion for an international ban on denigrating the prophet seriously...it is worrisome, but I have faith that the majority still don't want to go in that direction. 

Quoting AdellesMom:

Why do you have that faith? 

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM

This is a MODERATE MUSLIM saying we should do away with free speech:

Quote:

"There is a need for deterrent legal measures against those individuals or groups that want to damage relations between people, spread hate and incite violence," said Arab-American News publisher Osama Siblani, a self-proclaimed "moderate" who is apparently oblivious to how gutting the First Amendment would affect his own business.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree; this would not limit anything to bigoted wackadoos that make bad-quality videos...I think of someone like Salman Rushdie who wrote a novel based on purely academic accounts by scholars of Islam, a novel that he had no intentions to piss anyone off with. Interesting read on the hell he went through for it:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/09/rushdie-and-after.html

Quoting futureshock:

Wow, that is terrifying. 

"Women need not always keep their mouths shut and their wombs open." -Emma Goldman

http://masqueradingscientist.blogspot.com/

ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2012 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I understand their heart ache. The 1st amendment should have limitations. Ideally, in a perfect world, no one would ever you use 1DR to hurt others but we dont, in order to keep civilization we must protect the masses from ass hats. 

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)