Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cops: Teen mom dumped 3-week-old baby on roadside, claimed abduction

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM
  • 64 Replies

I am very upset with this story right now.  Once again, you have a stupid woman (imo she is not a teen) who has a kid and then have another and throws the child away.  I will make some statements which I hope you don't take badly and hey if you wanna accuse me of being a racist, be my guest . I believe anyone can be a racist, even black folks, which I am.  I have a problem with the media trying to portray this poor white girl as a victim, which she isnt.  I hate it when the media portrays white girls as victims (the ones who kill, abandon, molest etc. their kids and they wouldn't do this unless they had a drug, alcohol, mental illness, post partum, was a victim of the same herself), but if the girl is anything else, she is a bitch, whore, etc.  The only exception according to the media is Casey Anthongy.  I can bring up a whole bunch.   She abandoned the baby and lied about it.  To me it says that she does not have post partum(note I believe there is such a thing as post partum depression, there is, I don't do diagnosis based on pictures of how people look or assume that women have it automatically once they give birth, nor do I believe every woman who wants to harm her child have this) , its selfishness and stupidity.  I hate the fact that many on another board (msn) are quick to bring up excuses for the selfish bitch, or to blame the man, whom I don't and from what I understand may be in the military.  They want to blame the family, and I don't.  I believe that crimes are equal opportunity and anybody can commit them.  

Cops: Teen mom dumped 3-week-old baby on roadside, claimed abduction

By NBC News staff and wires services

A 19-year-old mother has been charged with dumping her 3-week-old daughter along a rural road for 12 hours and lying to police about the baby's whereabouts, prompting an Amber Alert.

Bond was set at $100,000 Friday for Kendra Meaker of Toulon, who was charged in Stark County Court with obstruction of justice and endangering the life or health of a child.

Meaker told a judge during a Friday court appearance that she had no job and no income, and said nothing else.

During the hearing, Sheriff Jimmie Dison told the court Kendra that showed up at his department Thursday morning to report that someone had snatched her 3-week-old baby, Mia Graci Thompson, out of the back seat of her car after she went inside the post office in Toulon, about 30 miles northwest of Peoria, to mail a package.

Illinois State Police issued an Amber Alert on Thursday morning.

Meaker, who also has an 11-month-old daughter, eventually changed her story and told Illinois State Police and FBI investigators she left the baby on a roadside, Sheriff Jimmie Dison said. The baby was on the gravel roadside from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday as scores of police and volunteers searched for her.

Stay informed with the latest headlines; sign up for our newsletter

The two volunteer searchers who found the crying child and brought her to emergency workers.

Two volunteer searchers, Russell and Mary Jo Van Dran, said they heard a baby crying as they sat inside their truck and found the child in a culvert just off a gravel road outside Toulon.

"My wife was out of the truck like a shot, cut down there and we had a heck of a time getting the baby out of the grass. She had her fingers interwoven in the grass," Russell Van Dran told NBC station WEEK of Peoria, Ill. "We were just at the right place at the right time. God had a hand in this thing too."

Meaker's aunt, Sandy Hollingsworth of Marseilles, is acting as spokeswoman for Meaker's family.

"This has been a hellish 24 hours that our family has endured," Hollingsworth said.

Watch the Top Videos on NBCNews.com

The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services said the baby was being cared for at a hospital. Meaker's 11-month-old daughter was with relatives.

A telephone listing for Meaker was disconnected. Meaker is next due in court Oct. 12.

Under Illinois' Safe Haven law, parents are allowed to relinquish custody of an unharmed newborn up to 30 days old to personnel at a hospital, emergency medical care facility, police or fire station.

Parents can give up their child anonymously and without the threat of prosecution for abandonment.

This article includes reporting by The Associated Press and NBCChicago.com.

by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 12:54 PM
4 moms liked this

I was in the emergency room last Sunday around 4 am. There are 2 big signs. One in English, and one in Spanish telling people you can leave your baby here and you will not get into trouble. I wish more people knew about this. It seems like everyone knows about this except those woman abandoning infants in the damndest places.

pampire
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I have no idea if she has PPD or any other mental illness.  I care to some degree, but her state had a Safe Haven law.  She chose not to use it.  Charge her and let the court sort it out.  She shouldn't get the baby back.  Whatever her sentence it should come with a mandatory MIrena.

valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:02 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

I was in the emergency room last Sunday around 4 am. There are 2 big signs. One in English, and one in Spanish telling people you can leave your baby here and you will not get into trouble. I wish more people knew about this. It seems like everyone knows about this except those woman abandoning infants in the damndest places.

Yes there are laws, but even before the laws (in the old days) folks would know to leave the babies with neighbors, family, clergy, etc.  I do not think ignorance of the law to be an excuse.  She did this on purpose and then lied about it. That does not mean ignorance, that is pure selfishness.  

valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting pampire:

I have no idea if she has PPD or any other mental illness.  I care to some degree, but her state had a Safe Haven law.  She chose not to use it.  Charge her and let the court sort it out.  She shouldn't get the baby back.  Whatever her sentence it should come with a mandatory MIrena.

I don't believe that she has ppd or other mental illness, nor do I care, and as I stated before, regardless of the safe haven law, she should know better. Even a two year old knows the difference between right and wrong.  She does not care, she is selfish.  I hope keep her in jail forever.  Yeah, I'm being mean about this, but I would just like to go one day without reading about stupid women who do things like this and then the media acts like it's a shame that women must have something wrong with them to do something like this.  If men can be selfish and evil and cruel, guess what, women can be this way too. 

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:15 PM

That poor child.  I cannot imagine the terror.

jurnee14
by Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Ignorance of the law is never an excuse, I hope she is charged and convicted and that both children are taken away from her for good. All I can say is thankfully the baby was found alive, 12 hrs left out in the elements could have turned out much worse.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Quoting valhallaarwen:

Quoting pampire:

I don't believe that she has ppd or other mental illness, nor do I care, and as I stated before, regardless of the safe haven law, she should know better. Even a two year old knows the difference between right and wrong.  She does not care, she is selfish.  I hope keep her in jail forever.  Yeah, I'm being mean about this, but I would just like to go one day without reading about stupid women who do things like this and then the media acts like it's a shame that women must have something wrong with them to do something like this.  If men can be selfish and evil and cruel, guess what, women can be this way too. 

I understand your frustration.  Women should be more responsible with their reproductive capabilities.  She had a newborn and should have been more careful not to get pregnant again so soon.  Abortion is legal and preferable to abandoning live, born children to suffer and die.

Lizardannie1966
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:29 PM

How incredibly sad and I have to wonder if there isn't another reason, perhaps mental illness, on the part of this young woman?

Certainly not an excuse, but it might explain what happened?

I guess it's hard to fathom sometimes, even at MY age, that people do things that are sinister and evil.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm jsut amazed sometimes at the stories people tell the police. No, they're generally aren't that stupid to believe you.

CDMelty
by Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 2:05 PM

How can you say she's not a teen? She's nineteen.  It's not a matter of opinion; it's a matter of fact.

This was near my town. Everyone was looking for that car and that baby. I hope the bitch rots in jail. I'm just glad the baby was found alive and not murdered. But seriously, drop it off at a copshop or hospital if you don't want it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured