Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Cops: Teen mom dumped 3-week-old baby on roadside, claimed abduction

Posted by   + Show Post

I am very upset with this story right now.  Once again, you have a stupid woman (imo she is not a teen) who has a kid and then have another and throws the child away.  I will make some statements which I hope you don't take badly and hey if you wanna accuse me of being a racist, be my guest . I believe anyone can be a racist, even black folks, which I am.  I have a problem with the media trying to portray this poor white girl as a victim, which she isnt.  I hate it when the media portrays white girls as victims (the ones who kill, abandon, molest etc. their kids and they wouldn't do this unless they had a drug, alcohol, mental illness, post partum, was a victim of the same herself), but if the girl is anything else, she is a bitch, whore, etc.  The only exception according to the media is Casey Anthongy.  I can bring up a whole bunch.   She abandoned the baby and lied about it.  To me it says that she does not have post partum(note I believe there is such a thing as post partum depression, there is, I don't do diagnosis based on pictures of how people look or assume that women have it automatically once they give birth, nor do I believe every woman who wants to harm her child have this) , its selfishness and stupidity.  I hate the fact that many on another board (msn) are quick to bring up excuses for the selfish bitch, or to blame the man, whom I don't and from what I understand may be in the military.  They want to blame the family, and I don't.  I believe that crimes are equal opportunity and anybody can commit them.  

Cops: Teen mom dumped 3-week-old baby on roadside, claimed abduction

By NBC News staff and wires services

A 19-year-old mother has been charged with dumping her 3-week-old daughter along a rural road for 12 hours and lying to police about the baby's whereabouts, prompting an Amber Alert.

Bond was set at $100,000 Friday for Kendra Meaker of Toulon, who was charged in Stark County Court with obstruction of justice and endangering the life or health of a child.

Meaker told a judge during a Friday court appearance that she had no job and no income, and said nothing else.

During the hearing, Sheriff Jimmie Dison told the court Kendra that showed up at his department Thursday morning to report that someone had snatched her 3-week-old baby, Mia Graci Thompson, out of the back seat of her car after she went inside the post office in Toulon, about 30 miles northwest of Peoria, to mail a package.

Illinois State Police issued an Amber Alert on Thursday morning.

Meaker, who also has an 11-month-old daughter, eventually changed her story and told Illinois State Police and FBI investigators she left the baby on a roadside, Sheriff Jimmie Dison said. The baby was on the gravel roadside from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday as scores of police and volunteers searched for her.

Stay informed with the latest headlines; sign up for our newsletter

The two volunteer searchers who found the crying child and brought her to emergency workers.

Two volunteer searchers, Russell and Mary Jo Van Dran, said they heard a baby crying as they sat inside their truck and found the child in a culvert just off a gravel road outside Toulon.

"My wife was out of the truck like a shot, cut down there and we had a heck of a time getting the baby out of the grass. She had her fingers interwoven in the grass," Russell Van Dran told NBC station WEEK of Peoria, Ill. "We were just at the right place at the right time. God had a hand in this thing too."

Meaker's aunt, Sandy Hollingsworth of Marseilles, is acting as spokeswoman for Meaker's family.

"This has been a hellish 24 hours that our family has endured," Hollingsworth said.

Watch the Top Videos on NBCNews.com

The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services said the baby was being cared for at a hospital. Meaker's 11-month-old daughter was with relatives.

A telephone listing for Meaker was disconnected. Meaker is next due in court Oct. 12.

Under Illinois' Safe Haven law, parents are allowed to relinquish custody of an unharmed newborn up to 30 days old to personnel at a hospital, emergency medical care facility, police or fire station.

Parents can give up their child anonymously and without the threat of prosecution for abandonment.

This article includes reporting by The Associated Press and NBCChicago.com.

by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
lancet98
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I read these stories and feel very sad but I don't take it any further than that  - I don't get angry, like you.   I figure I don't know the person and I probably won't ever know the person or really know why she did this or what led up to it.    The news is basically written to rile people up, draw them to the website so they click in the advertisements.   In that sort of climate, I don't feel that the news is likely to be accurate in describing the whole situation, they are just going to put enough out there to get people angry so they come back to the website again and again.   Allowing comments where people can vent and talk big leads to even more clicks on their advertising, and money for them. 

As an example, there was this famous case about this old lady who got burned by MacDOnald's coffee.   What the news stories did is go on and on about how stupid and greedy and frivolous these lawsuits are.  

What they do not tell, is the TRUTH.   MacDonald's has been heating their coffee up to incredible temperatures for years, temperatures way over food preparation standards.   Their customers, their employees, have both gotten some pretty horrendous burns.  Not only that, but the extremely high temperatures make the coffee pots break - you can't so much as clink them together or you have glass flying everywhere - a gal I know who worked in a stadium food concession picked up a pot another gal had clinked against another and it like exploded - glass in her eyes, cut her leg, plus the coffee burned her leg, very bad, because it's way, way over temperature.   

What they usually do is this.   They give employees money to keep it quiet, or if they get taken to court, they send their legal beagles in there and try to pay as little as possible, but generally, it is set at about 800,000 dollars.   They deal with a great many lawsuits like this every year.  As one Micky D's employee told me, '800  thousand dollars is about one and a half seconds worth of what MacDOnald's makes on coffee alone - they DO NOT CARE'.

SO.   What happened is this.   This lady was about 83, and rather frail.   She was not trying to drive and drink the coffee.   They were stationary, and she was not driving.   The cups are so flimsy that she just picked the thing up.   The cup gave way and you don't really want to know exactly where she was really burned, but she was hospitalized for some weeks and needed skin grafts.  

She got a lawyer and he contacted Micky D's.   They told him basically to go take a long hike on a short pier.   They decided they weren't going to settle with anyone any more.  SO he said FINE, I will take you to court and I will win, and this wil barely cover this old lady's medical bills.  

The other thing to understand is lawsuits almost always are for way more than they know they will get.   That's just normal.   She sued for 3 million dollars, but that is nver the amount any one gets, she got about the standard amount that they pay everyone over the years.  And there was very little left one she paid her medical bills.

So did the newspapers say ANY of  that?   No, they did not.   They just blart out headlines, 'Frivolous lawsuit for hot coffee'.   WHY?   Because that's the kind of thing that makes people mad.

SO.   What was wrong with this girl?   WHy would anyone abandon a baby?   Oh there can be many reasons.   My best guess is that she was mentally impaired or that she was trying to keep anyone from knowing she was being sexually active again.   Smart?   Oh no, I did not say that.   But I have seen some pretty terrible things - like a relative who is sexually abusing a young daughter....I figure we don't know and we will never know, because if the story is just pitiful or sad, it won't be out there with all the big headlines, the 'doesn't this make you mad' stories everyone reads. 

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Sep. 30, 2012 at 7:15 PM

But hey...at least she didn't abort it, right? 

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 7:25 PM
Why does one have to be acceptable just because someone believes the other is not?

Quoting Woodbabe:

But hey...at least she didn't abort it, right? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm relieved the baby was found alive

valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Quoting lancet98:

So did the newspapers say ANY of  that?   No, they did not.   They just blart out headlines, 'Frivolous lawsuit for hot coffee'.   WHY?   Because that's the kind of thing that makes people mad.

SO.   What was wrong with this girl?   WHy would anyone abandon a baby?   Oh there can be many reasons.   My best guess is that she was mentally impaired or that she was trying to keep anyone from knowing she was being sexually active again.   Smart?   Oh no, I did not say that.   But I have seen some pretty terrible things - like a relative who is sexually abusing a young daughter....I figure we don't know and we will never know, because if the story is just pitiful or sad, it won't be out there with all the big headlines, the 'doesn't this make you mad' stories everyone reads. 

I cut stuff down a bit so it's not so big.  I remember the law suit, but I disagree because it says right there on the cup contants may be hot. 

as I have said to others, I don't think she is mentally impaired, just a selfish bitch.  What gets me is that people will call those people who don't have kids selfish, but I see the opposite, lots of selfish folks with kids.  At least those who don't have kids admit it to themselves that they don't want to be bothered. 

I get angry because I am sick of seeing these headlines of people who do this and don't understand why they are in trouble.  Example, the idiot from Arizona who took her baby and won't say what happened to the kid in Texas.  She is on trial now. 

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Quoting valhallaarwen:

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

I was in the emergency room last Sunday around 4 am. There are 2 big signs. One in English, and one in Spanish telling people you can leave your baby here and you will not get into trouble. I wish more people knew about this. It seems like everyone knows about this except those woman abandoning infants in the damndest places.

Yes there are laws, but even before the laws (in the old days) folks would know to leave the babies with neighbors, family, clergy, etc.  I do not think ignorance of the law to be an excuse.  She did this on purpose and then lied about it. That does not mean ignorance, that is pure selfishness.  

CjEmmemommy
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM
I saw the amber alert on Facebook and then looked last night hoping to find out what happened.
I can't believe she lied, what is wrong with people.
Glad baby was found though, how scared she must have been.
melissam78
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this
This is just disgusting as are all the other stories I've seen whether its a parent "dumping" their baby or a parent leaving their baby/child in a car by themselves and the child dies.the word "parent" or " mother/father" is a role that is earned,so I can't call these people the parent,rather pitiful human beings who lack caring and compassion and even a heart.they should get the fullest,is it not attempted murder or murder period if the baby/child dies due to the "parents" choices of action,it's not neglect,it's attempted murder!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sstripedmonkey
by Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this
She should be dropped at the side of the road...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zandhmom2
by Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Very sad.  I don't understand why so many women don't seem to understand how their bodies work.  She already had a 11 month baby so she should understand that sex can lead to pregnancy.  If you have no job and no money, the last thing you should do is bring another human into the picture.  I hope that both of her children are taken from her.  She doesn't deserve to have them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN