Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Cops: Teen mom dumped 3-week-old baby on roadside, claimed abduction

Posted by   + Show Post

I am very upset with this story right now.  Once again, you have a stupid woman (imo she is not a teen) who has a kid and then have another and throws the child away.  I will make some statements which I hope you don't take badly and hey if you wanna accuse me of being a racist, be my guest . I believe anyone can be a racist, even black folks, which I am.  I have a problem with the media trying to portray this poor white girl as a victim, which she isnt.  I hate it when the media portrays white girls as victims (the ones who kill, abandon, molest etc. their kids and they wouldn't do this unless they had a drug, alcohol, mental illness, post partum, was a victim of the same herself), but if the girl is anything else, she is a bitch, whore, etc.  The only exception according to the media is Casey Anthongy.  I can bring up a whole bunch.   She abandoned the baby and lied about it.  To me it says that she does not have post partum(note I believe there is such a thing as post partum depression, there is, I don't do diagnosis based on pictures of how people look or assume that women have it automatically once they give birth, nor do I believe every woman who wants to harm her child have this) , its selfishness and stupidity.  I hate the fact that many on another board (msn) are quick to bring up excuses for the selfish bitch, or to blame the man, whom I don't and from what I understand may be in the military.  They want to blame the family, and I don't.  I believe that crimes are equal opportunity and anybody can commit them.  

Cops: Teen mom dumped 3-week-old baby on roadside, claimed abduction

By NBC News staff and wires services

A 19-year-old mother has been charged with dumping her 3-week-old daughter along a rural road for 12 hours and lying to police about the baby's whereabouts, prompting an Amber Alert.

Bond was set at $100,000 Friday for Kendra Meaker of Toulon, who was charged in Stark County Court with obstruction of justice and endangering the life or health of a child.

Meaker told a judge during a Friday court appearance that she had no job and no income, and said nothing else.

During the hearing, Sheriff Jimmie Dison told the court Kendra that showed up at his department Thursday morning to report that someone had snatched her 3-week-old baby, Mia Graci Thompson, out of the back seat of her car after she went inside the post office in Toulon, about 30 miles northwest of Peoria, to mail a package.

Illinois State Police issued an Amber Alert on Thursday morning.

Meaker, who also has an 11-month-old daughter, eventually changed her story and told Illinois State Police and FBI investigators she left the baby on a roadside, Sheriff Jimmie Dison said. The baby was on the gravel roadside from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday as scores of police and volunteers searched for her.

Stay informed with the latest headlines; sign up for our newsletter

The two volunteer searchers who found the crying child and brought her to emergency workers.

Two volunteer searchers, Russell and Mary Jo Van Dran, said they heard a baby crying as they sat inside their truck and found the child in a culvert just off a gravel road outside Toulon.

"My wife was out of the truck like a shot, cut down there and we had a heck of a time getting the baby out of the grass. She had her fingers interwoven in the grass," Russell Van Dran told NBC station WEEK of Peoria, Ill. "We were just at the right place at the right time. God had a hand in this thing too."

Meaker's aunt, Sandy Hollingsworth of Marseilles, is acting as spokeswoman for Meaker's family.

"This has been a hellish 24 hours that our family has endured," Hollingsworth said.

Watch the Top Videos on NBCNews.com

The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services said the baby was being cared for at a hospital. Meaker's 11-month-old daughter was with relatives.

A telephone listing for Meaker was disconnected. Meaker is next due in court Oct. 12.

Under Illinois' Safe Haven law, parents are allowed to relinquish custody of an unharmed newborn up to 30 days old to personnel at a hospital, emergency medical care facility, police or fire station.

Parents can give up their child anonymously and without the threat of prosecution for abandonment.

This article includes reporting by The Associated Press and NBCChicago.com.

by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Replies (21-30):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Just follows through on how every fertilized egg MUST be born...even if it's unwanted and likely to be born to someone like her...

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Why does one have to be acceptable just because someone believes the other is not?

Quoting Woodbabe:

But hey...at least she didn't abort it, right? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 10:43 AM
So because someone believes a fetusi a life, you determine that person must approve of child abuse? It is no wonder the abortion issue gets so nasty when huge leaps in (il)logic like yours are the norm. And if the opppsite was done to you and it was assumed that because you are pro choice you must not care about infanticide, for example, you would scold theperson for maki.such an illogical leap. But it is okay for you to do. I see.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Just follows through on how every fertilized egg MUST be born...even if it's unwanted and likely to be born to someone like her...

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Why does one have to be acceptable just because someone believes the other is not?

Quoting Woodbabe:

But hey...at least she didn't abort it, right? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 1, 2012 at 3:17 PM

When pro-lifers put their words into actions to prove every child's life is sacred...when there are no more non-white, non-infant babies sitting in foster care...when every child in America gets three solid meals a day, even if its on the taxpayer's dime...THEN we will talk about the logic.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

So because someone believes a fetusi a life, you determine that person must approve of child abuse? It is no wonder the abortion issue gets so nasty when huge leaps in (il)logic like yours are the norm. And if the opppsite was done to you and it was assumed that because you are pro choice you must not care about infanticide, for example, you would scold theperson for maki.such an illogical leap. But it is okay for you to do. I see.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 3:35 PM
That is a ridicoulous and impossibilit. You have no desire to be reasonable if the criteria for not wanting babies killed, which IS how see it whether you agree or no, is that no child is ever left in foster care.

Quoting Woodbabe:

When pro-lifers put their words into actions to prove every child's life is sacred...when there are no more non-white, non-infant babies sitting in foster care...when every child in America gets three solid meals a day, even if its on the taxpayer's dime...THEN we will talk about the logic.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 1, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I think that if people are so concerned with making sure every child has a chance to be born, then they also need to be concerned with each child after they're born. I have no idea what you are saying here.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

That is a ridicoulous and impossibilit. You have no desire to be reasonable if the criteria for not wanting babies killed, which IS how see it whether you agree or no, is that no child is ever left in foster care.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 3:49 PM
Many are. You do love to generalize and demonize.

Quoting Woodbabe:

I think that if people are so concerned with making sure every child has a chance to be born, then they also need to be concerned with each child after they're born. I have no idea what you are saying here.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bellarose0212
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I have heard this story before and haven't heard anyone defending the mother at all.

She is in the "parents hall of shame" on the "Seeking the Lost" page (BTW it's a good page to "like" if you want to know when people/kids are missing in your area so you can keep your eyes open). The page had previously reported her child abducted.

I think it is amazingly awesome that the tiny baby survived! So against the odds.

Again, as I said with the teen in Florida who killed her newborn, safe haven laws need to be more widely advertised. Maybe she would have left the baby at a fire station if she knew, maybe not, but it will help in at least some cases like these. I see pro-life billboards everywhere, why not safe haven billboards? Commercials? Magazine ads? FB ads?

DuchessScrat
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I believe that the safe haven laws should be expanded to try and save more babies and a similar program should be established to help parents at their wits end with older babies and toddlers.  I would like to see a program where parents who are about to snap can bring their young child to be cared in daycare setting for a few hours while the parent receives counseling and parenting instruction.  I know that there will never be enough funding for something like this, but imagine how it could cut down on the Casey Anthony-type cases and suspicious accidental deaths.

This could also be added to the existing safe haven programs.   Many other countries have "Baby Hatches".  It may seem barbaric, but I feel babies are killed when the parent knows that they aren't under any type of surveillance and can't be recognized by staff at the hospital/police/fire station.

Baby Hatch - Wikipedia

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 4:18 PM

SMH.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 1, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Yes many are. But not apparently enough. Why are so many unwanted children needing homes if so many are concerned about them? Why are they not folded into loving arms and embraced by forever homes? 

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Many are. You do love to generalize and demonize.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN