Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Cops: Teen mom dumped 3-week-old baby on roadside, claimed abduction

Posted by   + Show Post

I am very upset with this story right now.  Once again, you have a stupid woman (imo she is not a teen) who has a kid and then have another and throws the child away.  I will make some statements which I hope you don't take badly and hey if you wanna accuse me of being a racist, be my guest . I believe anyone can be a racist, even black folks, which I am.  I have a problem with the media trying to portray this poor white girl as a victim, which she isnt.  I hate it when the media portrays white girls as victims (the ones who kill, abandon, molest etc. their kids and they wouldn't do this unless they had a drug, alcohol, mental illness, post partum, was a victim of the same herself), but if the girl is anything else, she is a bitch, whore, etc.  The only exception according to the media is Casey Anthongy.  I can bring up a whole bunch.   She abandoned the baby and lied about it.  To me it says that she does not have post partum(note I believe there is such a thing as post partum depression, there is, I don't do diagnosis based on pictures of how people look or assume that women have it automatically once they give birth, nor do I believe every woman who wants to harm her child have this) , its selfishness and stupidity.  I hate the fact that many on another board (msn) are quick to bring up excuses for the selfish bitch, or to blame the man, whom I don't and from what I understand may be in the military.  They want to blame the family, and I don't.  I believe that crimes are equal opportunity and anybody can commit them.  

Cops: Teen mom dumped 3-week-old baby on roadside, claimed abduction

By NBC News staff and wires services

A 19-year-old mother has been charged with dumping her 3-week-old daughter along a rural road for 12 hours and lying to police about the baby's whereabouts, prompting an Amber Alert.

Bond was set at $100,000 Friday for Kendra Meaker of Toulon, who was charged in Stark County Court with obstruction of justice and endangering the life or health of a child.

Meaker told a judge during a Friday court appearance that she had no job and no income, and said nothing else.

During the hearing, Sheriff Jimmie Dison told the court Kendra that showed up at his department Thursday morning to report that someone had snatched her 3-week-old baby, Mia Graci Thompson, out of the back seat of her car after she went inside the post office in Toulon, about 30 miles northwest of Peoria, to mail a package.

Illinois State Police issued an Amber Alert on Thursday morning.

Meaker, who also has an 11-month-old daughter, eventually changed her story and told Illinois State Police and FBI investigators she left the baby on a roadside, Sheriff Jimmie Dison said. The baby was on the gravel roadside from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday as scores of police and volunteers searched for her.

Stay informed with the latest headlines; sign up for our newsletter

The two volunteer searchers who found the crying child and brought her to emergency workers.

Two volunteer searchers, Russell and Mary Jo Van Dran, said they heard a baby crying as they sat inside their truck and found the child in a culvert just off a gravel road outside Toulon.

"My wife was out of the truck like a shot, cut down there and we had a heck of a time getting the baby out of the grass. She had her fingers interwoven in the grass," Russell Van Dran told NBC station WEEK of Peoria, Ill. "We were just at the right place at the right time. God had a hand in this thing too."

Meaker's aunt, Sandy Hollingsworth of Marseilles, is acting as spokeswoman for Meaker's family.

"This has been a hellish 24 hours that our family has endured," Hollingsworth said.

Watch the Top Videos on NBCNews.com

The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services said the baby was being cared for at a hospital. Meaker's 11-month-old daughter was with relatives.

A telephone listing for Meaker was disconnected. Meaker is next due in court Oct. 12.

Under Illinois' Safe Haven law, parents are allowed to relinquish custody of an unharmed newborn up to 30 days old to personnel at a hospital, emergency medical care facility, police or fire station.

Parents can give up their child anonymously and without the threat of prosecution for abandonment.

This article includes reporting by The Associated Press and NBCChicago.com.

by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Replies (31-40):
kiriis
by Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM
What an evil fucking bitch. Victim my ass. I hope she never sees those babies again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 4:40 PM
2 moms liked this

All of these stories about teens harming their babies makes me wonder why people still preach abstenance and do not want sex education in the schools? Obviously parents are failing their children and not educating them.  These girls are probably desperate and not thinking.  Instead of wishing them dead, why not as a society try to figure out where we are going wrong and fix it.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 6:06 PM
Because there are too many. Because believing abortion os murdering a human being does not autimatically give someone the menas to adopt. Because the reaources suck for tha.purpose because both sides spend WAY TOO much money and efforts demonizing the opposition instead of listening to one another and looking for common solutions. There are a million reasons but people like you will never hear them because your brain is stuck on the "if you can not take every child into your home you have no right to believe ey are a life worthy of protecting" track.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Yes many are. But not apparently enough. Why are so many unwanted children needing homes if so many are concerned about them? Why are they not folded into loving arms and embraced by forever homes? 

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Many are. You do love to generalize and demonize.

Quoting Woodbabe:

I think that if people are so concerned with making sure every child has a chance to be born, then they also need to be concerned with each child after they're born. I have no idea what you are saying here.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

That is a ridicoulous and impossibilit. You have no desire to be reasonable if the criteria for not wanting babies killed, which IS how see it whether you agree or no, is that no child is ever left in foster care.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:10 PM

You are generalizing my comments. The issue is unwanted children. What is YOUR solution?

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Because there are too many. Because believing abortion os murdering a human being does not autimatically give someone the menas to adopt. Because the reaources suck for tha.purpose because both sides spend WAY TOO much money and efforts demonizing the opposition instead of listening to one another and looking for common solutions. There are a million reasons but people like you will never hear them because your brain is stuck on the "if you can not take every child into your home you have no right to believe ey are a life worthy of protecting" track. 

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Quoting Bellarose0212:

I have heard this story before and haven't heard anyone defending the mother at all.

She is in the "parents hall of shame" on the "Seeking the Lost" page (BTW it's a good page to "like" if you want to know when people/kids are missing in your area so you can keep your eyes open). The page had previously reported her child abducted.

I think it is amazingly awesome that the tiny baby survived! So against the odds.

Again, as I said with the teen in Florida who killed her newborn, safe haven laws need to be more widely advertised. Maybe she would have left the baby at a fire station if she knew, maybe not, but it will help in at least some cases like these. I see pro-life billboards everywhere, why not safe haven billboards? Commercials? Magazine ads? FB ads?

I didn't say folks here were defending her, they are defending her on msn, and as I stated before you don't need any safe haven laws advertised, that is no excuse for a stupid teen to kill her child.  It should be a matter of common sense nto to do it.  Why do we have to hold these stupid teens hand and make them give the baby up to a hospital.  I knew what I would do if I would have been in that situation, but I didn't make the mistake my sisters did.  Why should I have to rely on the government to help me with a safe haven, when  I knew what to do before the laws came out?

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Quoting valhallaarwen:

Quoting Bellarose0212:

I have heard this story before and haven't heard anyone defending the mother at all.

She is in the "parents hall of shame" on the "Seeking the Lost" page (BTW it's a good page to "like" if you want to know when people/kids are missing in your area so you can keep your eyes open). The page had previously reported her child abducted.

I think it is amazingly awesome that the tiny baby survived! So against the odds.

Again, as I said with the teen in Florida who killed her newborn, safe haven laws need to be more widely advertised. Maybe she would have left the baby at a fire station if she knew, maybe not, but it will help in at least some cases like these. I see pro-life billboards everywhere, why not safe haven billboards? Commercials? Magazine ads? FB ads?

I didn't say folks here were defending her, they are defending her on msn, and as I stated before you don't need any safe haven laws advertised, that is no excuse for a stupid teen to kill her child.  It should be a matter of common sense nto to do it.  Why do we have to hold these stupid teens hand and make them give the baby up to a hospital.  I knew what I would do if I would have been in that situation, but I didn't make the mistake my sisters did.  Why should I have to rely on the government to help me with a safe haven, when  I knew what to do before the laws came out?

In your opinion, how should she have gotten that baby to the hospital without anyone knowing? And just out of curiosity, any idea what kind of sex education she's gotten in school? How about her parents? Are they abusive? How's her relationship with them?

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

Bellarose0212
by Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Somehow you read my reply as a defense of this woman, but that's not what I wrote at all. I was referring to everywhere that I read the story, not just here. I didn't read it on MSN though. I didn`t say that not knowing about safe haven laws is an excuse for abandoning an infant. In fact, I specifically said that I don't know whether knowledge of safe haven laws would make a difference in this particular case. Maybe it would have, maybe not. But, it's one of the best defenses we have and it does work, infanticide and abandonment did go down with those laws. With more advertising, it might help in many more cases. Why should we have to have the laws? Because they aren't written for the parents, they are written to protect the babies. If parents who feel desperate enough to do them harm have no other option, they will do them harm. If they have another option, they may not. We have to "hold them by he hand" because the world is imperfect. If you want less dead babies, you offer a safe and anonymous way to abandon them. The laws not only say that you can surrender a baby (you could do that before) but that you can do so anonymously and without consequence/ adoption process. That's what protects a baby from someone desperate to keep the secret that she had a baby or that she didn't want her baby. We do need to advertise it because clearly abandonment and infanticide still happen and this knowledge can prevent those crimes in at least some cases.

Quoting valhallaarwen:

Quoting Bellarose0212:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bellarose0212
by Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Are you asking me or OP? In this case, she could have abondoned he baby at the hospital, fire station, or police station without anyone knowong just as much as she was able to abandon baby on the roadside without anyone knowing because she was a driver. In the other case (the 14 yo) that is a fair question and it may or may not have been possible for her.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting valhallaarwen:

Quoting Bellarose0212:

In your opinion, how should she have gotten that baby to the hospital without anyone knowing? And just out of curiosity, any idea what kind of sex education she's gotten in school? How about her parents? Are they abusive? How's her relationship with them?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bellarose0212
by Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Sorry for typos. Mobile with crappy phone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Woodbabe:

To answer your question, she could have used the car, the same car that she used to dispose of the baby in a ditch.  and she could have handed the baby over no question and just said she couldn't handle this.  No, I don't know if she had sex ed, anything about her parents, or if she was in an abusive relationship. What I have heard is that the father of the kids are involved with her and was either at work or is the service.  She just sounds like a selfish bitch who would rather get ride of the kid on the way to mail a package.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)