Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cops: Teen mom dumped 3-week-old baby on roadside, claimed abduction

Posted by   + Show Post

I am very upset with this story right now.  Once again, you have a stupid woman (imo she is not a teen) who has a kid and then have another and throws the child away.  I will make some statements which I hope you don't take badly and hey if you wanna accuse me of being a racist, be my guest . I believe anyone can be a racist, even black folks, which I am.  I have a problem with the media trying to portray this poor white girl as a victim, which she isnt.  I hate it when the media portrays white girls as victims (the ones who kill, abandon, molest etc. their kids and they wouldn't do this unless they had a drug, alcohol, mental illness, post partum, was a victim of the same herself), but if the girl is anything else, she is a bitch, whore, etc.  The only exception according to the media is Casey Anthongy.  I can bring up a whole bunch.   She abandoned the baby and lied about it.  To me it says that she does not have post partum(note I believe there is such a thing as post partum depression, there is, I don't do diagnosis based on pictures of how people look or assume that women have it automatically once they give birth, nor do I believe every woman who wants to harm her child have this) , its selfishness and stupidity.  I hate the fact that many on another board (msn) are quick to bring up excuses for the selfish bitch, or to blame the man, whom I don't and from what I understand may be in the military.  They want to blame the family, and I don't.  I believe that crimes are equal opportunity and anybody can commit them.  

Cops: Teen mom dumped 3-week-old baby on roadside, claimed abduction

By NBC News staff and wires services

A 19-year-old mother has been charged with dumping her 3-week-old daughter along a rural road for 12 hours and lying to police about the baby's whereabouts, prompting an Amber Alert.

Bond was set at $100,000 Friday for Kendra Meaker of Toulon, who was charged in Stark County Court with obstruction of justice and endangering the life or health of a child.

Meaker told a judge during a Friday court appearance that she had no job and no income, and said nothing else.

During the hearing, Sheriff Jimmie Dison told the court Kendra that showed up at his department Thursday morning to report that someone had snatched her 3-week-old baby, Mia Graci Thompson, out of the back seat of her car after she went inside the post office in Toulon, about 30 miles northwest of Peoria, to mail a package.

Illinois State Police issued an Amber Alert on Thursday morning.

Meaker, who also has an 11-month-old daughter, eventually changed her story and told Illinois State Police and FBI investigators she left the baby on a roadside, Sheriff Jimmie Dison said. The baby was on the gravel roadside from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday as scores of police and volunteers searched for her.

Stay informed with the latest headlines; sign up for our newsletter

The two volunteer searchers who found the crying child and brought her to emergency workers.

Two volunteer searchers, Russell and Mary Jo Van Dran, said they heard a baby crying as they sat inside their truck and found the child in a culvert just off a gravel road outside Toulon.

"My wife was out of the truck like a shot, cut down there and we had a heck of a time getting the baby out of the grass. She had her fingers interwoven in the grass," Russell Van Dran told NBC station WEEK of Peoria, Ill. "We were just at the right place at the right time. God had a hand in this thing too."

Meaker's aunt, Sandy Hollingsworth of Marseilles, is acting as spokeswoman for Meaker's family.

"This has been a hellish 24 hours that our family has endured," Hollingsworth said.

Watch the Top Videos on NBCNews.com

The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services said the baby was being cared for at a hospital. Meaker's 11-month-old daughter was with relatives.

A telephone listing for Meaker was disconnected. Meaker is next due in court Oct. 12.

Under Illinois' Safe Haven law, parents are allowed to relinquish custody of an unharmed newborn up to 30 days old to personnel at a hospital, emergency medical care facility, police or fire station.

Parents can give up their child anonymously and without the threat of prosecution for abandonment.

This article includes reporting by The Associated Press and NBCChicago.com.

by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Replies (41-50):
valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Quoting Bellarose0212:

Somehow you read my reply as a defense of this woman, but that's not what I wrote at all. I was referring to everywhere that I read the story, not just here. I didn't read it on MSN though. I didn`t say that not knowing about safe haven laws is an excuse for abandoning an infant. In fact, I specifically said that I don't know whether knowledge of safe haven laws would make a difference in this particular case. Maybe it would have, maybe not. But, it's one of the best defenses we have and it does work, infanticide and abandonment did go down with those laws. With more advertising, it might help in many more cases. Why should we have to have the laws? Because they aren't written for the parents, they are written to protect the babies. If parents who feel desperate enough to do them harm have no other option, they will do them harm. If they have another option, they may not. We have to "hold them by he hand" because the world is imperfect. If you want less dead babies, you offer a safe and anonymous way to abandon them. The laws not only say that you can surrender a baby (you could do that before) but that you can do so anonymously and without consequence/ adoption process. That's what protects a baby from someone desperate to keep the secret that she had a baby or that she didn't want her baby. We do need to advertise it because clearly abandonment and infanticide still happen and this knowledge can prevent those crimes in at least some cases.

If I did accuse you of defening this woman, I'm sorry, but i am sick and tired of folks stating that the person didn't know that you need to know about the safe haven laws.  I am not that odd, (43) but I do not recall there ever being safe haven laws around.  I am sick of this society thinking that they need a law in order to do the right thing.  What ever happened to common sense and getting help?  And how has information of the laws worked today?  You have it even worst now that the laws have been out.  I am sure there were cases of women killing their kids when the law wasn't around, but I find that since the laws are out, they are not helping imo because you have people hiding their pregnancies and then killing their kids.  An example would be the woman/nurse in Tenn. who was engaged to one guy but got pregnant for someone else and she was sort of heavy so no one noticed she was pregnant.. She lived with her extremely religious parents.  She gave birth at home to twins and then killed them and put them in the laundry basket.  Her father found them and she contessed.  Now you have someone who is in full knowledge of the law and she did the opposite.  There is no excuse of whether you know the law or not.  Folks do not use common sense.

Autiziumom
by Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Wow! Everyone is responsible for their own actions! I hope this women finds mental health!
Bellarose0212
by Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I'm not saying that there should have to be laws to deter people from abandoning and harming infants. Clearly, in a perfect world, nobody would ever harm any child including their own.

However, the fact is, people do abandon and harm their infants and many times it is because they are desperately scared of being found out to have been pregnant for a variety of reasons (abuse, youth, ultra religious parents, affair situation, etc.). Or they are mentally ill. Or they are evil. It doesn't matter what they are, this happens. So, don't you think that because we, as rational citizens, know that it happens, we should take steps to stop it? Yes, most of us would never do this, even if we had a baby under less than ideal circumstances. But, that doesn't change the fact that it happens and if there is an alternative that people know about, at least some babies will be safe.

I do not know if the woman from this story knew about safe haven laws or if the woman from the other story you mentioned knew about them either. I know that some babies have been saved by them.

There are currently safe haven laws in 50 states, all enacted at different times. They are relatively new laws. The first states passed them around 1999 and the last states in 2008. "Since the first safe-haven law was enacted in Texas in 1999, all U.S. states, as well as the District of Columbia, have passed safe-haven legislation, and every state has reported lives saved through the existence of these laws. Due to less-than-perfect-reporting methods, we are unsure of the exact number but know that in the past decade, these laws have saved well over 1,000 infants." In Florida (my state), 180 babies have been saved from unsafe abandonment or harm since the passing of the laws. I think that every single saved baby makes the laws a success. I don't know how it is that you don't know when safe haven laws were enacted, but you know that they don't work and that things have gotten worse since they were enacted? I don't think that makes sense. Yes, there are still terrible cases. You aren't going to have 100% effectiveness, but they save some infants and could save more if knowledge of them was more widespread.

Still, safe haven laws have had relatively little press and most people don't know what they are. Especially young/uneducated/sheltered girls and women. More babies could be saved if there was wider knowledge of them. That's why these stories make me think there should be billboards, TV ads, radio PSAS, school talks, etc. about safe haven laws. They won't make a difference in every case, clearly, but they will make a difference in some.

What do you suggest to help prevent these abandonment and infanticide? I think safe haven laws are positive laws that have saved babies. The acts of abandonment and infanticide are ALREADY criminalized.

Yes, you can say, people should know better like I do. Of course they should and of course infants should never be harmed. But, the fact is people don't know better and this happens. So, we, as a society, should take measures to try to prevent it.

You think I am saying, "she didn't know the law, so that excuses her actions." That's not what I am saying. I have no idea if she knew of the laws or not. I am saying, that the laws help in some cases and would help more if more people knew about them.

Quoting valhallaarwen:

Quoting Bellarose0212:

Somehow you read my reply as a defense of this woman, but that's not what I wrote at all. I was referring to everywhere that I read the story, not just here. I didn't read it on MSN though. I didn`t say that not knowing about safe haven laws is an excuse for abandoning an infant. In fact, I specifically said that I don't know whether knowledge of safe haven laws would make a difference in this particular case. Maybe it would have, maybe not. But, it's one of the best defenses we have and it does work, infanticide and abandonment did go down with those laws. With more advertising, it might help in many more cases. Why should we have to have the laws? Because they aren't written for the parents, they are written to protect the babies. If parents who feel desperate enough to do them harm have no other option, they will do them harm. If they have another option, they may not. We have to "hold them by he hand" because the world is imperfect. If you want less dead babies, you offer a safe and anonymous way to abandon them. The laws not only say that you can surrender a baby (you could do that before) but that you can do so anonymously and without consequence/ adoption process. That's what protects a baby from someone desperate to keep the secret that she had a baby or that she didn't want her baby. We do need to advertise it because clearly abandonment and infanticide still happen and this knowledge can prevent those crimes in at least some cases.

If I did accuse you of defening this woman, I'm sorry, but i am sick and tired of folks stating that the person didn't know that you need to know about the safe haven laws.  I am not that odd, (43) but I do not recall there ever being safe haven laws around.  I am sick of this society thinking that they need a law in order to do the right thing.  What ever happened to common sense and getting help?  And how has information of the laws worked today?  You have it even worst now that the laws have been out.  I am sure there were cases of women killing their kids when the law wasn't around, but I find that since the laws are out, they are not helping imo because you have people hiding their pregnancies and then killing their kids.  An example would be the woman/nurse in Tenn. who was engaged to one guy but got pregnant for someone else and she was sort of heavy so no one noticed she was pregnant.. She lived with her extremely religious parents.  She gave birth at home to twins and then killed them and put them in the laundry basket.  Her father found them and she contessed.  Now you have someone who is in full knowledge of the law and she did the opposite.  There is no excuse of whether you know the law or not.  Folks do not use common sense.

Snapdragon88
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:54 AM
I understand what you're saying... but cases like this are so far deeper than the failings of parents or lack of education. I had my son at 19 and would have NEVEERRRRRR even considered doing what this girl did. Never. It's a basic human instinct to protect things that are weaker and smaller than us, especially our own children... if she didn't have that, it isn't because she didn't have sex ed in school.

*Totally an advocate for sex ed and good parenting... I just don't think either have anything to do with things like this.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

All of these stories about teens harming their babies makes me wonder why people still preach abstenance and do not want sex education in the schools? Obviously parents are failing their children and not educating them.  These girls are probably desperate and not thinking.  Instead of wishing them dead, why not as a society try to figure out where we are going wrong and fix it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I feel the same way. I mean, my three year old can figure out when some people are BSing. Surely the cops would be able to figure it out.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

I'm jsut amazed sometimes at the stories people tell the police. No, they're generally aren't that stupid to believe you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:58 AM
That's disgusting. Poor baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:08 AM
I thought the reason they put the caution marks up was because of law suits.

Quoting valhallaarwen:

Quoting lancet98:

So did the newspapers say ANY of  that?   No, they did not.   They just blart out headlines, 'Frivolous lawsuit for hot coffee'.   WHY?   Because that's the kind of thing that makes people mad.

SO.   What was wrong with this girl?   WHy would anyone abandon a baby?   Oh there can be many reasons.   My best guess is that she was mentally impaired or that she was trying to keep anyone from knowing she was being sexually active again.   Smart?   Oh no, I did not say that.   But I have seen some pretty terrible things - like a relative who is sexually abusing a young daughter....I figure we don't know and we will never know, because if the story is just pitiful or sad, it won't be out there with all the big headlines, the 'doesn't this make you mad' stories everyone reads. 

I cut stuff down a bit so it's not so big.  I remember the law suit, but I disagree because it says right there on the cup contants may be hot. 

as I have said to others, I don't think she is mentally impaired, just a selfish bitch.  What gets me is that people will call those people who don't have kids selfish, but I see the opposite, lots of selfish folks with kids.  At least those who don't have kids admit it to themselves that they don't want to be bothered. 

I get angry because I am sick of seeing these headlines of people who do this and don't understand why they are in trouble.  Example, the idiot from Arizona who took her baby and won't say what happened to the kid in Texas.  She is on trial now. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry I find it oddly disturbing that you are more focussed on the color of the girl and how the media portrays her over the fact that a baby was left in a ditch. Who cares what color the mother was? It's an awful occurrance. And in a court of law the defense is not going to start with "look at this pretty little white girl".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jesusismyfriend
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:37 AM
So glad the baby got found in time. Now can I have the baby since mommy does not want the baby?
Proud2BWeird
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:00 AM

For the record, I doubt she didn't know about the Safe Haven law. I think she just didn't want to leave her baby with anyone, because she didn't want them to "judge" her. Either that or she craved the attention she got for claiming her baby was abducted. 

I don't give a flying fig what color/race/nationality/gender/sexual orientation/etc. she is, she is not the victim- being poor and unemployed does not equate victimhood. The only victim here is the baby, and the woman (she is an adult) should not have custody of either child. Who knows what she might do next?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured