Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Giving children chores is now abusive to some

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 2:59 PM
  • 418 Replies
3 moms liked this

I was told the other day that by giving my children chores I was abusing them and the horror I actually make them wash dishes by hand because I refuse to buy a dishwasher. In 20 years I have never once had a dish washer and until 7 years ago my kids never washed a dish. I swear it does not make their hands fall off to put them in dishwater. BTW it was my cousin who told me this.

ETA: Do you think it is abusive? if so in what way?

by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Beth3721
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 3:04 PM
46 moms liked this

Oh the horror!!! The abuse!!! You're a horrible parent. Who do you think you are giving chores and teaching those kids to be responsible?

shannonnigans
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 3:05 PM
5 moms liked this
No but on the practical side you are throwing away money in a huge way doing the dishes by hand. Dishwashers actually use an extremely small amount of water, far less than the water you run when doing them by hand. My mom who has a dishwasher used to insist on doing them by hand and every day that adds up. I finally convinced her when she could see the difference on her water bill.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 3:06 PM
15 moms liked this

Oh hell, CPS will be at my door then. Chores are a way to teach the kiddos responsibility and keep a clean house.

kameka
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 3:06 PM
21 moms liked this
I cringe for the children of the person who said that, and all those who will come in contact with them as adults.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Sep. 30, 2012 at 3:07 PM

How old are your children?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Sep. 30, 2012 at 3:09 PM
7 moms liked this

My children have had 'chores' since they could walk and talk.

Some one call CPS on me.  

When the older two come to visit, I damn well expect them to do their share. If they don't, I let them know.  

Ha!  Can't call CPS on that one, they are both 'of age'. 

The 12 year old is screwed.

PinkTigerLily
by New Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM
My kids are made to clean their rooms after playtime. If we are outside, any toys that were taken out must similarly be put away. It teaches responsibility and its something that isn't taught enough now.
momof31995
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 3:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Mine are 17 14 and 12.

1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 3:14 PM
5 moms liked this

I am abusive parent then too. *shrugs*

acrogodess
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM
12 moms liked this

My kids have had chores since they were old enough to walk and make a mess. 

Their very first chore was cleaning up their toys when they made a mess and walking their trash to the trash can. That was at about 1.5 yrs old, but I helped them. Once they hit about 3, I told them, I didn't make the mess and I should not be expected to clean it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured