Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

College Professors barely pass civics exam: Edited again: Google for full exam..sorry

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 8:44 PM
  • 66 Replies
  • Full Civic Literacy Exam (from our 2008 survey)

Are you more knowledgeable than the average citizen? The average score for all 2,508 Americans taking the following test was 49%; college educators scored 55%. Can you do better? Questions were drawn from past ISI surveys, as well as other nationally recognized exams

You can find the study at http://ww.isi.org/quiz.aspx?p.FE5C3B47-9675-41E0-9CF3-072BB31E2692 - 7k .  It was a test done by the Intercollegiate Studies Institute  - Education for liberty.  It is an older survey, but I find it amusing but sad, that college educators only scored 6%  points above the average American.

If you take, it, please come back and share.  It will be fun to see how many of us beat the professors

Edited to add:  Apparently that link was not the survey I took, and to which the above statement applies.  The test mentioned above, has 33 questions on it, and should start with the first question being:  "Which of the following are the unalienable rights referred to in The Declaration of Inependence"?  I tried to put in the full link above, so if you have the time and want to take the full or different test, which was what I thought I was linking, have fun and come on back.

Edited again to add:  This link is now again going to the 10 question quiz.  The "Full Civic Literacy Exam" can be found by googling "The Intercollegiate Studies Institute - Education for Liberty.  I'm sorry I can't get it to link correctly.

Edited once again:  Google makes me crazy.  Another site published the quiz.  You can find it at http://www.fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com/2011/03/13 - american - civics - literacy.  I am not pushing this site.  I didn't even know it exists.  So just ignore what's on it, and have fun with the quiz.

When you take the quiz, you can also check to see how poorly some of our elected officials scored... lower than the general public.  If this doesn't work, I give up.  Have fun with it if you can.

grandma B

by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I admit I didn't know some of them and guessed.

You answered 7 out of 10 correctly — 70.00 %

krysstizzle
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 8:56 PM

You answered 8 out of 10 correctly — 80.00 %

YOUR RANKING

Philosopher-King

Philosopher-King

In ancient Greece, this was Plato’s ideal ruler in The Republic; combines both wisdom and power.

If you have any comments or questions about the survey, please emailamericancivicliteracy@isi.org.

Woo! Actually, as I was taking it, I thought I would do worse than that. A lot of the questions, I was second guessing myself but didn't change my answers. I do think at least one or two were luck, as well. 

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:04 PM

• You answered 8 out of 10 correctly — 80.00 %

Your Ranking

Philosopher-King

Philosopher-King

In ancient Greece, this was Plato’s ideal ruler in The Republic; combines both wisdom and power.

If you have any comments or questions about the survey, please email americancivicliteracy@isi.org.

• Incorrect Answers

• Question: What impact did the Anti-Federalists have on the United States Constitution?
      Your Answer: their influence ensured that the federal government would have the power to tax I could've sworn I picked the correct answer! UGH
      Correct Answer: their arguments helped lead to the adoption of the Bill of Rights
    • Question: The Federalist Papers was written to:
      Your Answer: oppose America’s independence from Britain.
      Correct Answer: support ratification of the U.S. Constitution.
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM

You answered 8 out of 10 correctly — 80.00 %

YOUR RANKING

Philosopher-King

Philosopher-King

Incorrect Answers

• Question:The phrase that in America there should be a "wall of separation" between church and state appears in:
    Your Answer: the Constitution
    Correct Answer: Thomas Jefferson's letters
  • Question:What impact did the Anti-Federalists have on the United States Constitution?
    Your Answer: their influence ensured that the federal government would maintain a standing army
    Correct Answer: their arguments helped lead to the adoption of the Bill of Rights

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

• You answered 8 out of 10 correctly — 80.00 %

Your Ranking

Philosopher-King

Philosopher-King

If you have any comments or questions about the survey, please email americancivicliteracy@isi.org.

• Incorrect Answers

• Question: What impact did the Anti-Federalists have on the United States Constitution?
      Your Answer: their influence ensured that the federal government would have the power to tax I could've sworn I picked the correct answer! UGH
      Correct Answer: their arguments helped lead to the adoption of the Bill of Rights
    • Question: The Federalist Papers was written to:
      Your Answer: oppose America’s independence from Britain.
      Correct Answer: support ratification of the U.S. Constitution.

I got that one wrong too!

And I picked constitution instead of Gettysburg address. I can't remember the 3rd one.

ETA: Third one, the answer was a court case. I can't remember the question.

greenie63
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Considering I recently declared a History minor last semester I did ok. 

You answered 9 out of 10 correctly — 90.00 %

YOUR RANKING

Philosopher-King

Philosopher-King

_Kissy_
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

10 of 10

Can't paste my results on mobile
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RainyDayLazy
by Rainy on Sep. 30, 2012 at 10:29 PM
You answered 7 out of 10 correctly — 70.00 %

YOUR RANKING

Tribune
In ancient Rome, these were officials who were elected by the Plebeians and held important constitutional powers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GLWerth
by Gina on Sep. 30, 2012 at 11:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Took the test....here's my score.

You answered 10 out of 10 correctly — 100.00 %

Your Ranking

Philosopher-King

Philosopher-King

And I learned most of that from my many, very smart professors in college.

GLWerth
by Gina on Sep. 30, 2012 at 11:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Not seeing your score on here Grandmab....just noting that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)