Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Possible Diaper Shortage Could Mean Higher Prices or Using Cloth Diapers (GASP!)

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM
  • 33 Replies

FROM THE STIR

Possible Diaper Shortage Could Mean Higher Prices or Using Cloth Diapers (GASP!)

Posted by Michele Zipp
on October 1, 2012 at 3:19 PM

baby in diaper
Enjoy that diaper now, little buddy.
Nothing like a diaper plant explosion to make us cringe at the fact that acrylic acid is used in disposable diapers. But this is serious, my fellow parents. This is the stuff hitting the fan kind of serious. There is speculation there could be a diaper shortage as a result of the massive explosion at a chemical plant in Japan -- they are one of the world's largest producers of this key component in disposable diapers.

The acrylic acid is a main ingredient in a resin called SAP -- it is what makes diapers absorbent. But now we have to brace ourselves for what could turn into the biggest blow-out ever. This could mean no more convenience, much more laundry, and (gasp!) no more diaper cakes!

We all know what happens where there is a gas shortage. The prices soar. Now we have to worry about that with diapers! There may soon be long lines of people attempting to buy what's left in stock. And, worse, there could be empty shelves and just one last 'sposie in your diaper bag.

Many of us are going to put potty training into high gear.

I will also note that this is a terrible thing that happened because almost three dozen people were injured in this explosion at the Nippon Shokubai plant, and one brave firefighter lost his life.

Will this send disposable diapers users scrambling to stockpile just in case? Considering the news that other factories producing the same product have a backlog of work, I'm not going to take any chances and will get extras. In the event we successfully and completely conquer potty training (fingers crossed), I can always sell my stash to another mom in need. In fact, I bet a lot of trading may be going on amongst parents. Kids grow out of diapers so fast sometimes leaving us with extras of the smaller size lying around.

Of course we have to now prepare ourselves for the barrage of "that's why I use cloth." But before you go there, remember not everyone has a washing machine. And some of us have multiples.

Does this potential diaper shortage worry you? Will you stock up? Or is this just a big stink over nothing?

by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:34 PM

nope Im past the diaper stage with my dd but the baby i watch is 15months almost 16 months and is in sposies (disposable diapers)

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Use cloth----after all, disposable diapers are desecrating "mother earth"

meliscool72
by Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Well first off, you can make diaper cakes out of cloth diapers...they are diapers. 

And then also, yes, not everyone has a washing machine, but I didn't have a washing machine and I had to wash them by hand...yeah it is not the best job in the world, but at least you don't have poop all over your floor because you decided not to put a diaper on your child.

three...it is not going to effect me, yet...I am not pregnant and my kids are all potty trained, but if it were going to effect me I would rather use cloth anyways to save money. 

four....if a diaper plant blows up...I am kind of rethinking the whole thing with diapers.....if the diaper chemical is explosive then what happens when the diaper catches fire? that is my main concern...I don't want my child to get hurt

unfortunatly people got hurt and I feel sorry for all of them and the fire fighter and his/her family. I know they are all suffering. 

Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM
Problem not all daycares allow a child in cloth diapers to attend so it should be interesting thank goodness neither of my childern are in diapers anymore
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CreziaMommyTo2
by Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM

nope no more kids in diapers and have no plans to have more, and if i did i would hang myself before i had another (tubes tied, singed, snipped over 3 years ago)

Homeschoolmom99
by Barb on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM

One of many reasons I always used cloth and with my last I did the laundry myself the others I had a diaper service. Maybe that will make a comeback? I know I finally found a per-pound laundry mat and they cleaned them for us and it was still cheaper then buying throwaway diapers. Plus my kids had almost no diaper rashes and were all PT by age 2!

I think diapers and pullups are a crutch in some cases the child can not feel they are dirty or wet.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

No, we only use disposables with babysitters or to cover between washing our cloth diapers. 

~"So if ever a man should ask you for your business or your name, Tell him to go and f*ck himself, tell his friends to do the same.
Because a man who'd trade his liberty for a safe and dreamless sleep, Doesn't deserve the both of them, and neither shall he keep." ~

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I use cloth diapers. Save a LOT of money and help the environment.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

conweis
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:48 PM
Good thing I am going to CD with this baby
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IhartU
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Sat.Wed:

Problem not all daycares allow a child in cloth diapers to attend so it should be interesting thank goodness neither of my childern are in diapers anymore

I never understood this. I think most of the time, they just aren't familiar with the new types of cloth diapers and think it's still all prefolds, pins and rubber pants.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)