Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Possible Diaper Shortage Could Mean Higher Prices or Using Cloth Diapers (GASP!)

Posted by   + Show Post

FROM THE STIR

Possible Diaper Shortage Could Mean Higher Prices or Using Cloth Diapers (GASP!)

Posted by Michele Zipp
on October 1, 2012 at 3:19 PM

baby in diaper
Enjoy that diaper now, little buddy.
Nothing like a diaper plant explosion to make us cringe at the fact that acrylic acid is used in disposable diapers. But this is serious, my fellow parents. This is the stuff hitting the fan kind of serious. There is speculation there could be a diaper shortage as a result of the massive explosion at a chemical plant in Japan -- they are one of the world's largest producers of this key component in disposable diapers.

The acrylic acid is a main ingredient in a resin called SAP -- it is what makes diapers absorbent. But now we have to brace ourselves for what could turn into the biggest blow-out ever. This could mean no more convenience, much more laundry, and (gasp!) no more diaper cakes!

We all know what happens where there is a gas shortage. The prices soar. Now we have to worry about that with diapers! There may soon be long lines of people attempting to buy what's left in stock. And, worse, there could be empty shelves and just one last 'sposie in your diaper bag.

Many of us are going to put potty training into high gear.

I will also note that this is a terrible thing that happened because almost three dozen people were injured in this explosion at the Nippon Shokubai plant, and one brave firefighter lost his life.

Will this send disposable diapers users scrambling to stockpile just in case? Considering the news that other factories producing the same product have a backlog of work, I'm not going to take any chances and will get extras. In the event we successfully and completely conquer potty training (fingers crossed), I can always sell my stash to another mom in need. In fact, I bet a lot of trading may be going on amongst parents. Kids grow out of diapers so fast sometimes leaving us with extras of the smaller size lying around.

Of course we have to now prepare ourselves for the barrage of "that's why I use cloth." But before you go there, remember not everyone has a washing machine. And some of us have multiples.

Does this potential diaper shortage worry you? Will you stock up? Or is this just a big stink over nothing?

by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM
Replies (21-30):
Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM
Sweet! Yea thats what Ive been told by others Idk lol seems silly

Quoting cemcnair:

Nope. As long as the parent provides a wet bag. It's more sanitary than putting sposies in the trash where kids can get into it. My wet bag is zippered :)

Quoting Sat.Wed:

I think some of it is also sanitary issues? Idk really

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting Sat.Wed:

Problem not all daycares allow a child in cloth diapers to attend so it should be interesting thank goodness neither of my childern are in diapers anymore

I never understood this. I think most of the time, they just aren't familiar with the new types of cloth diapers and think it's still all prefolds, pins and rubber pants.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:25 PM
3 moms liked this

What a shitty situation.... :0

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I am already planning on making the switch to cloth.  Baby # 2 is Due in April and I want to get some to try with DS so I can decide what I like for when baby gets here. DS is 15.5 months now so we have at least another 18 months of him in diapers and then the new baby will be in diapers for around 3 years so cloth will be worth the start up costs.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

What about Depends? Are adults going to have to switch to cloth, too?

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this

GS is being stocked up!~

lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I wanted to use cloth, but the daycare I work at & that DS went to only allowed disposables. 

- ____- 

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I make and use cloth diapers.

rfurlongg
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM
We are all done with dipes around here. When we used diapers, we used cloth. I bought a stash for $300 when my oldest was born and diapered 3 children with that stash.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Interesting. That would be sad for a lot of adults that need the protection but don't want to be obvious about it. Cloth is bulky and noticeable. They do sell cloth post partum pads, those might be big enough for an adult who needs depends. I don't know how discrete they are though.

We use cloth diapers and have for years. The sposie situation will not bother me one bit. I am betting the diaper companies will hike their prices even if there is no shortage.

Quoting Woodbabe:

What about Depends? Are adults going to have to switch to cloth, too?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TCgirlatheart
by TC on Oct. 1, 2012 at 10:26 PM

cottonbabies.com and jilliansdrawers.com have programs where you can try a variety of cloth diapers for about 10$-20$ once they're all returned. 

Quoting Firenygirl180:

I am already planning on making the switch to cloth.  Baby # 2 is Due in April and I want to get some to try with DS so I can decide what I like for when baby gets here. DS is 15.5 months now so we have at least another 18 months of him in diapers and then the new baby will be in diapers for around 3 years so cloth will be worth the start up costs.

~"So if ever a man should ask you for your business or your name, Tell him to go and f*ck himself, tell his friends to do the same.
Because a man who'd trade his liberty for a safe and dreamless sleep, Doesn't deserve the both of them, and neither shall he keep." ~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)