Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Unwanted Children...What is YOUR solution?

Posted by   + Show Post

So we dont' want easy access to birth control and Plan B because it 'encourages' unsafe sex and many want to outlaw abortion. We have proven time and time again that you cannot legislate morality and sexual conduct to those who don't subscribe to your personal set of values. I anticipate a major baby boom soon. 

What should happen to all of these extra unwanted children and how will we be addressing the social issues they bring:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5556524_effects-unwanted-pregnancy.html

Health Problems

• Both Russo and David and the National Campaign state that often women who face an unwanted pregnancy do not get prenatal care, putting their baby at risk for a premature birth, low birth weight, or other neurological disorders.

Single Families

• Women must often raise the unwanted child by themselves, working a low-paying job, and the child may be forced to live below the poverty line. The mother may take her stress out on the child and start the cycle of child abuse.

Cognitive Issues

• Children born to unprepared mothers may suffer academically as well. Since they live in poor neighborhoods, and their mother is always working and not spending time interacting with them, children may learn the alphabet or their numbers significantly later.

Behavior

• According to Russo and David, unwanted children may suffer from low self-esteem during their childhood, and later act out their frustrations by turning to criminal behavior.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Replies (11-20):
katy_kay08
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:35 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm not part of the "we" that doesn't want abortion to be a safe and legal option along with expanded access to birth control.  

My solution is less unwanted children in the first place.  

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I make a REALLY nice sangria from pinot grigio....

Quoting Tanya93-:

Depends on the cut.   The thigh would be could with chianti, but the shoulder needs something crisp like a pinot grigio.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting Tanya93-:

Make them into dinner, gloves, and shoes.

Mmm I'll bring the chianti!

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't believe a child is ever truly unwanted.  Just cuz the birth mother doesn't want the child doesn't mean there isn't a barren woman out there that would desperately love to adopt that child.  People seeking adoption WILL take a "broken" child--just to hold a child. 

Adoption needs to be the norm, not abortion, or letting a kid go unloved and not taken care of cuz it's not what the parent wanted. 

Tanya93-
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

That could be nice with a braised shoulder with a side of ratatouille

Quoting Woodbabe:

I make a REALLY nice sangria from pinot grigio....

Quoting Tanya93-:

Depends on the cut.   The thigh would be could with chianti, but the shoulder needs something crisp like a pinot grigio.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting Tanya93-:

Make them into dinner, gloves, and shoes.

Mmm I'll bring the chianti!

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:38 PM
2 moms liked this

While I'm not really a huge fan of abortion, I'm even more against anyone else having the right to make these kinds of decisions for a woman. I'd rather see easy access to birth control, sterilization and Plan B to reduce the need for abortions to begin with. Having to prove your rape was 'violent enough' is way too demeaning to a woman, when she's at her most fragile.

Quoting jhslove:

In terms of rape, I don't know how that would be enforced. It's a sticking point--would you require witnesses? A medical exam? Would you have to have filed a police report at the time of the rape? I just don't really know, unfortunately.

I know, it's terrible that kids with special needs and kids of color have such a hard time being adopted. I don't have any real answers for that, either.    :(

Cubanmom84
by Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this
In one hand we have a 14 year old girl who strangles her new born child, then this 19 year old who dumps her 3 week old child and then claims abduction. I agree that we need easier access to birth control and more sexual education.
Now everyone has a white fence nice house kind of life people, there are people less fortunate with difficult lives ( either by circumstances or their own doing), there are whores or as I like to call them public services workers.
There are teenagers who are inexperience who's parents "believe or not" refuse to talk about sex and how to protect yourself!
And forget this people, the consequence that come out of this carelessness and their difficult life's. children ending up abused, on the street, in the system, for what for the cycle to start all over again? Not saying that all kids born out of this situations become whoreS or crack heads! Btw just making sure.
But if we had more control, maybe there wouldn't be babies dying in trash cans while the mother is dancing in the prom, maybe some responsible public service women would be better off not bringing children into this world.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meliscool72
by Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:40 PM

and the children that will be born in rich households and are unwanted will grow up to me hating anything and everything because they don't have money. I think this is a little annoying considering it is all about the poor. However, I understand the whole situation about the poor, but I know a lot of rich parents who can care less about their children and never spend more than 5 minutes a day with them....

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:40 PM

The only think I disagree with is that I'd start sex education (age appropriately) in elementary school. Otherwise, I agree with you!

Quoting NWP:

I support a comprehensive sex education program for all our children that grows with them as age appropriate. That said, research shows there is no better way to reduce unwanted pregnancies than to generally educate women and girls through high school and college. 

This education should be combined with access to birth control for everyone. People are sexual beings. Removing their birth control will not stop them from having sex. Having access to birth control will not "promote" those who do not wish to have sex to do so.

Abortion should be safe and legal. Doing the things mentioned above will reduce the need for abortion, but there will always be a need for save and legal abortion. 

There are thousands of children who need homes right now. If we would use the resources on living children who need families instead of the unborn, we would have no need for state group homes and foster care.

p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:41 PM

We think alike on this actually. Unfortunately, this just is not the way most folks think when it actually comes down to time to adopt. They want healthy tiny newborns. There just are not enough saints in the world who are willing to do this or there would be none of these little angels with tough pasts and uncertain futures in foster care and group homes.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I don't believe a child is ever truly unwanted.  Just cuz the birth mother doesn't want the child doesn't mean there isn't a barren woman out there that would desperately love to adopt that child.  People seeking adoption WILL take a "broken" child--just to hold a child. 

Adoption needs to be the norm, not abortion, or letting a kid go unloved and not taken care of cuz it's not what the parent wanted. 

New World Peace

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)