Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Unwanted Children...What is YOUR solution?

Posted by   + Show Post

So we dont' want easy access to birth control and Plan B because it 'encourages' unsafe sex and many want to outlaw abortion. We have proven time and time again that you cannot legislate morality and sexual conduct to those who don't subscribe to your personal set of values. I anticipate a major baby boom soon. 

What should happen to all of these extra unwanted children and how will we be addressing the social issues they bring:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5556524_effects-unwanted-pregnancy.html

Health Problems

• Both Russo and David and the National Campaign state that often women who face an unwanted pregnancy do not get prenatal care, putting their baby at risk for a premature birth, low birth weight, or other neurological disorders.

Single Families

• Women must often raise the unwanted child by themselves, working a low-paying job, and the child may be forced to live below the poverty line. The mother may take her stress out on the child and start the cycle of child abuse.

Cognitive Issues

• Children born to unprepared mothers may suffer academically as well. Since they live in poor neighborhoods, and their mother is always working and not spending time interacting with them, children may learn the alphabet or their numbers significantly later.

Behavior

• According to Russo and David, unwanted children may suffer from low self-esteem during their childhood, and later act out their frustrations by turning to criminal behavior.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Replies (201-210):
salamandersmom
by Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:35 PM
2 moms liked this

How about letting families who WANT them to adopt?  I would happily be Michelle Duggar, but they wouldn't have to be my kids, or even my "color".  I think every child deserves to be loved!!

Quoting MyJaidonreturns:

Dont have kids you cant afford. Dont have sex. Wear metal chastity panties and ignore the opposite sex all together.

^^i dont agree with any of that, I just wanted to beat the morally superior and self righteous moms :-)

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:05 AM
Just curious...Are you aware of the price of an abortion vs the price of birth control? Why would a woman choose a $500 abortion every four months over $20 birth control every month?

Quoting rayroe2:

whatever. I don't know all the info about it because I don't agree with it, and it is used as a forum of protection because I saw a worker at the store one day with her work shirt on and it said something I wish I could remember but I just remember it saying abortion is protection.....pretty much "oh damn I am ovulating screw using a condom ill just get an abortionif it takes." Women think this way since it is so easy to get to and you know it. sexually mistakes don't happen dumb decisions do. If you do the deed keep the seed.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting rayroe2:

I already stated why if you read through the feeds because I don't think it should be used has a first choice as protection it should be done by a doctor. I am pro-life but I don't agree in making a 10 year old carry a baby because she was raped by a cousin or uncle so it should be done by doctors. I am not some crazy activist with it but I do feel as tho it needs to be changed and not so easily used.

Quoting EireLass:

Why?

Quoting rayroe2:

I just said abortion shouldn't be allowed at a clinic.

Quoting OneToughMami:

No I think women should have access to clinics that provide birth control as they also provide std screening, Pap smears, cancer screening, mammograms...you know over all women's health on a sliding pay scale. My sil can't afford insurance and since she's not married yet her fiancé can't pu her on his insurance only their daughter...she needs places that she can pay what she can afford right now.

Quoting rayroe2:

I am pro life but I don't think taking away protection is a good idea, thing is you should have to go to a doctor to get it done not at some clinic that doesnt have much guidlines and both parties should have to sign, and if a women was raped she needs to report who raped her because 6 out of 10 times it is someone you know.

Quoting OneToughMami:Quoting rayroe2:

Send them to china.............

MI am a big fan of easy access to birth control though...but I sure hope the Pro-Life Republicans plan on adopting a few chil'ren

You are not making a lot of sense.

An abortion is not a form of 'protection'.  

Doctors work at clinics.   

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:11 AM

cherylam
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

there are so many sides to this... I really want children, but this miracle will never happen for us.  I will not, however, force another woman to have a child she does not want and cannot afford.  The only issue I have is those that wait until well into the second trimester to decide they don't want a child.  Unless there is a medical reason that a pregnancy has to be terminated, after 14 weeks, guess you're going to have a baby.  Don't want it?  If you've had 14 weeks to decide and then decide at 20 weeks you don't want it....there's a thing called 'responsibility'... learn it, know it, live it.  If you wait that long to decide to get rid of it, give it up for adoption.  

I'm not 'morally superior', and definately not self righteous... but somewhere along the line there has to be a time to stand up and take responsibility for your actions.

lalasha
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:44 AM
I think we need to have comprehensive sex Ed and parents that won't shut up about it. It's what I had none of my kids are accidental and they were all planned for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:54 PM

So it's about relativity?

As long as it's only 5%, it's fine? 

Who gets to hold the quota door shut?

Quoting kailu1835:

Even stretching it to make it 90% affective, instead of 95%, that is still only 5-10% of pregnancies because of failed birth control.  So that other 90-95% of people getting pregnant are doing so because they weren't using birth control.

Quoting LindaClement:

I don't live in the world where any birth control method is 100% effective.

Do you?

Quoting kailu1835:

Then maybe she shouldn't have had unprotected sex in the first place.  It is time for people to step up and face the consequences for their actions.

Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

The things folks love to forget in thesen convos are what if she doesn't want to be pregnant period? An adoption plan isn't going to save her from that. How are you going to persuade her to take proper care of herself while pregnant so the child can be placed and not have a bunch of issues? Then the father of the baby can veto the adoption. Or after carrying the baby what if she changes her mind or just decides eff it she went through all of that she may as well keep it? or if her family is vehemently against adoption so placing the child will put her in a bad spot? You can't force folks to go along with adoption.

I do agree it needs to be easier and cheaper to adopt. A lot more folks would do it and maybe some of these older kids would get homes. Instad trying to convince folks to place newborns folks should put that energy into trying to persuade adoptive parents to look at older children to adopt.

(all yous are general)

Quoting kailu1835:

I hear a lot of whining here about moms who shouldn't have to take personal responsibility for having unprotected sex, of which the vast majority of all pregnancies are the result of.

My solution?  Make it a HECK of a lot easier to adopt children.  There is absolutely no shortage of homes that want to adopt.  They just aren't willing to jump through the many, MANY unreasonable hoops they have to go through to adopt in this country, when they can very easily go to another country.  These moms and dads are not even remotely picky.  They want a child, any child.  It is the state rules that keep these parents from being allowed to adopt.

Redwall
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:50 PM

If you don't want kids and can't afford them, use birth control or don't have sex...it seems so simple to me.  If you get pregnant and don't want the baby, in the US there's a shortage of babies for adoption.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Quoting Redwall:

If you don't want kids and can't afford them, use birth control or don't have sex...it seems so simple to me.  If you get pregnant and don't want the baby, in the US there's a shortage of babies for adoption.

so..only the babies should be adopted..

there is no shortage of children who need homes... there are people waiting in line to adopt.. but, either the children are too old, not the right color, sick, or handicapped, they are not wanted. Let's get them homes first, shall we?

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting MyJaidonreturns:

Dont have kids you cant afford. Dont have sex. Wear metal chastity panties and ignore the opposite sex all together.

^^i dont agree with any of that, I just wanted to beat the morally superior and self righteous moms :-)

Keep yer legs together and if you're raped, it must be God's plan?

Of course it is! God doesn't make mistakes, either that or the woman was asking for it in the form of a low cut blouse or was walking alone...the shame!

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Redwall:

There is no shortage of children/babies for adoption in the US, there is only a shortage of babies/children meeting "perfect" criteria.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)