Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Unwanted Children...What is YOUR solution?

Posted by   + Show Post

So we dont' want easy access to birth control and Plan B because it 'encourages' unsafe sex and many want to outlaw abortion. We have proven time and time again that you cannot legislate morality and sexual conduct to those who don't subscribe to your personal set of values. I anticipate a major baby boom soon. 

What should happen to all of these extra unwanted children and how will we be addressing the social issues they bring:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5556524_effects-unwanted-pregnancy.html

Health Problems

• Both Russo and David and the National Campaign state that often women who face an unwanted pregnancy do not get prenatal care, putting their baby at risk for a premature birth, low birth weight, or other neurological disorders.

Single Families

• Women must often raise the unwanted child by themselves, working a low-paying job, and the child may be forced to live below the poverty line. The mother may take her stress out on the child and start the cycle of child abuse.

Cognitive Issues

• Children born to unprepared mothers may suffer academically as well. Since they live in poor neighborhoods, and their mother is always working and not spending time interacting with them, children may learn the alphabet or their numbers significantly later.

Behavior

• According to Russo and David, unwanted children may suffer from low self-esteem during their childhood, and later act out their frustrations by turning to criminal behavior.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Replies (21-30):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Quoting rayroe2:

Send them to china.............

I hear Apple is hiring!

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Yep. This...

Quoting Woodbabe:

While I'm not really a huge fan of abortion, I'm even more against anyone else having the right to make these kinds of decisions for a woman. I'd rather see easy access to birth control, sterilization and Plan B to reduce the need for abortions to begin with. Having to prove your rape was 'violent enough' is way too demeaning to a woman, when she's at her most fragile.

Quoting jhslove:

In terms of rape, I don't know how that would be enforced. It's a sticking point--would you require witnesses? A medical exam? Would you have to have filed a police report at the time of the rape? I just don't really know, unfortunately.

I know, it's terrible that kids with special needs and kids of color have such a hard time being adopted. I don't have any real answers for that, either.    :(

New World Peace

rayroe2
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM

LOL! we should just take out all girls baby makers when they are born so they don't rememberit! that is a 100% effect of future unwanted babies.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting rayroe2:

Send them to china.............

I hear Apple is hiring!

CafeMom Tickers
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM
6 moms liked this

Adoption is a viable option....for the mother.  Not necessarily for the child.  Far too many children grow up in the system, coming out of it with more issues than any of us probably realize.

We cannot force people to adopt.  We cannot force people to adopt THAT child versus what they have in mind for their 'family'.  If more people where willing to adopt a child for the sake of having a child, there would not be so many children, of all ages, within the foster care system.

Adoption is not the answer.

Holding that aspirin between your legs is not the answer.  People refraining from having sex, or at least women, men get a pass, is not the answer.

There is no 'answer'.  

Not one that we can force on to another.  No matter how badly we may believe X, Y or Z is the best way to go, what one should do, we cannot force every one to do so.

Prevention works for many and well, some times it fails and then there are those who simply do not take that in to account, for whatever their reasons are.  We can think what we will of them and their actions and choices but we cannot force them to do a damn thing they aren't going to do or willing to do.

I hate the idea of abortion, more so for those who do use it as a form of birth control.  But I would much rather leave this option available, in a legal and safe manner, than what will be the consequences.  

Reality isn't always pretty and it isn't always something we want to think about.  But it is what it is.  

Safe is better than not safe, even if you (general) feel every woman seeking an abortion or the Plan B pill, should suffer for their choice to be 'irresponsible',  Often times, they are not the one who suffers the most.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't disagree on this. I mentioned high school as general education for girls. Those who finish high school and go on to college make delay child bearing more than those who do not finish their general education.

Sex ed should start in elementary for both boys and girls and grow with them age appropriate.

Sorry for the confusion.

Quoting Woodbabe:

The only think I disagree with is that I'd start sex education (age appropriately) in elementary school. Otherwise, I agree with you!

Quoting NWP:

I support a comprehensive sex education program for all our children that grows with them as age appropriate. That said, research shows there is no better way to reduce unwanted pregnancies than to generally educate women and girls through high school and college. 

This education should be combined with access to birth control for everyone. People are sexual beings. Removing their birth control will not stop them from having sex. Having access to birth control will not "promote" those who do not wish to have sex to do so.

Abortion should be safe and legal. Doing the things mentioned above will reduce the need for abortion, but there will always be a need for save and legal abortion. 

There are thousands of children who need homes right now. If we would use the resources on living children who need families instead of the unborn, we would have no need for state group homes and foster care.

New World Peace

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I don't believe a child is ever truly unwanted.  Just cuz the birth mother doesn't want the child doesn't mean there isn't a barren woman out there that would desperately love to adopt that child.  People seeking adoption WILL take a "broken" child--just to hold a child. 

Adoption needs to be the norm, not abortion, or letting a kid go unloved and not taken care of cuz it's not what the parent wanted. 

So the poor should be breeders for the rich folk that can afford to pay for white babies?

I don't know what state you're in, but the vast majority have so many special needs children (those with medical issues, siblings or are non-white) that not only are they free, the state will pay YOU until they're 18. Yet every state has thousands of these kids stuck in the foster care system. Why aren't THEY being snatched up into loving arms of forever homes? 

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:49 PM

The wine made me laugh.

Quoting p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl:

p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Lol. I couldn't help it. If people take away information about the human body and the female cycle and signs of ovulation along with protection, and other general information, there is no solution. 

People will have sex, it is natural. It's going to happen. 

Quoting Woodbabe:

The wine made me laugh.

Quoting p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl:

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Yep..I have been making this point for a long time. If the pro-life movement really cared about children, it would care for the children. But they don't care about the children. They care only about the potential unborn...not born children who need love and homes. Just listen to what Pat Robertson has to say.

and yes, I believe that there is an element of thinking that poor white teenage girls could be breeders for barren women. However, that is not even the demographic that seeks abortion the most. It is a romanticized ideal that isn't true.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I don't believe a child is ever truly unwanted.  Just cuz the birth mother doesn't want the child doesn't mean there isn't a barren woman out there that would desperately love to adopt that child.  People seeking adoption WILL take a "broken" child--just to hold a child. 

Adoption needs to be the norm, not abortion, or letting a kid go unloved and not taken care of cuz it's not what the parent wanted. 

So the poor should be breeders for the rich folk that can afford to pay for white babies?

I don't know what state you're in, but the vast majority have so many special needs children (those with medical issues, siblings or are non-white) that not only are they free, the state will pay YOU until they're 18. Yet every state has thousands of these kids stuck in the foster care system. Why aren't THEY being snatched up into loving arms of forever homes? 

New World Peace

Tanya93-
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Because people want babies they can raise and nurture from early on.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN