Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Unwanted Children...What is YOUR solution?

Posted by   + Show Post

So we dont' want easy access to birth control and Plan B because it 'encourages' unsafe sex and many want to outlaw abortion. We have proven time and time again that you cannot legislate morality and sexual conduct to those who don't subscribe to your personal set of values. I anticipate a major baby boom soon. 

What should happen to all of these extra unwanted children and how will we be addressing the social issues they bring:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5556524_effects-unwanted-pregnancy.html

Health Problems

• Both Russo and David and the National Campaign state that often women who face an unwanted pregnancy do not get prenatal care, putting their baby at risk for a premature birth, low birth weight, or other neurological disorders.

Single Families

• Women must often raise the unwanted child by themselves, working a low-paying job, and the child may be forced to live below the poverty line. The mother may take her stress out on the child and start the cycle of child abuse.

Cognitive Issues

• Children born to unprepared mothers may suffer academically as well. Since they live in poor neighborhoods, and their mother is always working and not spending time interacting with them, children may learn the alphabet or their numbers significantly later.

Behavior

• According to Russo and David, unwanted children may suffer from low self-esteem during their childhood, and later act out their frustrations by turning to criminal behavior.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Replies (31-40):
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I hear this answer all the time. It does not answer the question about what to do with all these unwanted children. Thousands are sitting in foster care and group homes right now wanting a forever home. But most will never find one in their childhood.

Quoting Tanya93-:

Because people want babies they can raise and nurture from early on.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I don't believe a child is ever truly unwanted.  Just cuz the birth mother doesn't want the child doesn't mean there isn't a barren woman out there that would desperately love to adopt that child.  People seeking adoption WILL take a "broken" child--just to hold a child. 

Adoption needs to be the norm, not abortion, or letting a kid go unloved and not taken care of cuz it's not what the parent wanted. 

So the poor should be breeders for the rich folk that can afford to pay for white babies?

I don't know what state you're in, but the vast majority have so many special needs children (those with medical issues, siblings or are non-white) that not only are they free, the state will pay YOU until they're 18. Yet every state has thousands of these kids stuck in the foster care system. Why aren't THEY being snatched up into loving arms of forever homes? 

New World Peace

one.eye.sky
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM
4 moms liked this

get rid of abstinence only education.

it. is. not. working.

we should teach kids that we WANT them to be abstinence, but if they are going to do the deed, then they need to have protection

emphasize that we don't want them to have sex until they're ready and preferably married, but we have to be realistic with today's times. teach about stds, condoms, other forms of birth control, etc.

let them know that oral sex carries its own risks as well

we need to educate people further than "sex is bad don't do it until you get married"

and now that i'm off that soapbox, here's what we should do about women who have unwanted pregnancies:

mind our own business and let them choose what they are going to do.

MyJaidonreturns
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM
2 moms liked this
Yea sounds about right. Then contact your rapist for financial help. You may get some state funding, IF you can prove you were 'legitimately' raped, and not just being naughty naughty.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting MyJaidonreturns:

Dont have kids you cant afford. Dont have sex. Wear metal chastity panties and ignore the opposite sex all together.

^^i dont agree with any of that, I just wanted to beat the morally superior and self righteous moms :-)

Keep yer legs together and if you're raped, it must be God's plan?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tanya93-
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Have you taken one in?

Quoting NWP:

I hear this answer all the time. It does not answer the question about what to do with all these unwanted children. Thousands are sitting in foster care and group homes right now wanting a forever home. But most will never find one in their childhood.

Quoting Tanya93-:

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I don't believe a child is ever truly unwanted.  Just cuz the birth mother doesn't want the child doesn't mean there isn't a barren woman out there that would desperately love to adopt that child.  People seeking adoption WILL take a "broken" child--just to hold a child. 

Adoption needs to be the norm, not abortion, or letting a kid go unloved and not taken care of cuz it's not what the parent wanted. 

So the poor should be breeders for the rich folk that can afford to pay for white babies?

I don't know what state you're in, but the vast majority have so many special needs children (those with medical issues, siblings or are non-white) that not only are they free, the state will pay YOU until they're 18. Yet every state has thousands of these kids stuck in the foster care system. Why aren't THEY being snatched up into loving arms of forever homes? 

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:05 PM

You weren't really raped if your body let you get pregnant. Liar. Whore. :(

Quoting MyJaidonreturns:

Yea sounds about right. Then contact your rapist for financial help. You may get some state funding, IF you can prove you were 'legitimately' raped, and not just being naughty naughty.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting MyJaidonreturns:

Dont have kids you cant afford. Dont have sex. Wear metal chastity panties and ignore the opposite sex all together.

^^i dont agree with any of that, I just wanted to beat the morally superior and self righteous moms :-)

Keep yer legs together and if you're raped, it must be God's plan?

New World Peace

one.eye.sky
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:05 PM
2 moms liked this

i don't know what to do about that. the ideal situation would be instead of women getting fertility treatmeants or adopting infants, that they would adopt these children instead, but, alas, what they want is what matters, so these kids will have to be systemed out

sad but true. i've adopted older children before, i have adopted a three year old and his six year old brother. they are now five and eight and thriving.

Quoting NWP:

Quoting Tanya93-:

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

MyJaidonreturns
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:06 PM
These topics always make me think of the Family Guy song.

Quoting p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

While this might be left open to being taken advantage of, I think the most fair way to do it would be for a women to be able to access abortion simply by submitting a written statement saying that she was raped. I know that some would falsely use that to get an abortion, but I'd rather have that than rape victims, particularly underage rape victims, being forced to carry and give birth to a child because their rape didn't meet certain standards or wasn't reported within a certain time frame.

Quoting Woodbabe:

While I'm not really a huge fan of abortion, I'm even more against anyone else having the right to make these kinds of decisions for a woman. I'd rather see easy access to birth control, sterilization and Plan B to reduce the need for abortions to begin with. Having to prove your rape was 'violent enough' is way too demeaning to a woman, when she's at her most fragile.

Quoting jhslove:

In terms of rape, I don't know how that would be enforced. It's a sticking point--would you require witnesses? A medical exam? Would you have to have filed a police report at the time of the rape? I just don't really know, unfortunately.

I know, it's terrible that kids with special needs and kids of color have such a hard time being adopted. I don't have any real answers for that, either.    :(

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes.  I know what I am talking about. I will not share my personal story here because it is personal. People here who disagree with you will..let's just say it isn't a safe place for real personal information to be shared. If you were my friend, we could talk in person about it.

But I am pro-choice. I do not spend my money and time marching with signs in front of planned parenthood harassing women in difficult situations. It isn't the battle I have chosen.

But it is the one the pro-life movement has chosen. 

They do not care for the children. Only the unborn. They have the money and the organization to take in every single child in foster care in need. But they do not. 

Quoting Tanya93-:

Have you taken one in?

Quoting NWP:

Quoting Tanya93-:

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

New World Peace

p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM

me too! Lol

Unfortunately, Family Guy has a slight hint to some realities of life. 

Quoting MyJaidonreturns:

These topics always make me think of the Family Guy song.

Quoting p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN