Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Political Advertising

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:38 AM
  • 49 Replies

I am noticing that I have not seen even one television commercial for either Barack Obama or Mitt Romney.  I have seen a bunch for the Connecticut Senate race, some for the New Jersey Senate race (only Menendez, though, not his opponent), and a little for some local races, but not even one presidential ad.

I am assuming this is because I live in NJ, and NJ, NY and CT are considered "out of play". 

Where do you live and are you seeing ads for president?  If so, what kind of ads and are there a lot of them or a few?

I'm curious what's happening around the country.  :-)

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:49 AM

None in MA, I live on the CT border.  We do have commercials of Scott Brown attacking Elizebeth Warren's heritage running about every 15 minutes though.  It amazes and disgusts me that he thinks that is a winning issue for him. 

katy_kay08
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I live in Washington state and there are nearly no ads here for either candidate.  I don't expect that we will see much, a snowball stands a better chance here than Mitt.   

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Quoting Rubberbiscuit:

None in MA, I live on the CT border.  We do have commercials of Scott Brown attacking Elizebeth Warren's heritage running about every 15 minutes though.  It amazes and disgusts me that he thinks that is a winning issue for him. 

Are you seeing the Linda McMahon and her opponent (Chris something, his name escapes me lol) slinging mud at each other?  I have seen an ad about the opponent where he's painted as doing something fishy for a bank in order to get his mortgage.  It is ugly.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Michigan, the high five state.

I don't think i've seen any ads for president. Lots of issue ads and lots of judges though.

All the ads are so simple and ridiculous,"China's bad! No on 3!". I'm looking forward to them getting sillier and sillier the closer we get to the big day.

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Quoting katy_kay08:

I live in Washington state and there are nearly no ads here for either candidate.  I don't expect that we will see much, a snowball stands a better chance here than Mitt.   

I'm in NJ and expect the same situation exists here lol.  I can only imagine how inundated any swing state must be, since they have millions and some of us see nothing.

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Quoting UpSheRises:

I don't think i've seen any ads for president. Lots of issue ads and lots of judges though.

All the ads are so simple and ridiculous,"China's bad! No on 3!". I'm looking forward to them getting sillier and sillier the closer we get to the big day.

Do you know if Michigan is considered in play?  I don't think so but am not sure.

lga1965
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:57 AM

In MN we are seeing ads from both Obama and Romney's campaigns.

And that idiot Michelle Bachmann is running against a Democrat ( a good guy who doesn't want to pray away the gay) so her campaign is all about his agreeing with Washington about spending too much money.

And we have many ads about  "Vote No against the marriage amendment". Yesterday we saw the first ad saying "Vote YES on the marriage amendment",in which a cute blond lady says that we have to protect marriage between one man and one woman because God meant for us to marry and continue the future generations.... they are really saying "Marriage is for procreation". Ha. That's their lame attempt at disguising their bigotry and need for control. Ugh.

I can't wait until Nov 7th.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting UpSheRises:

Do you know if Michigan is considered in play?  I don't think so but am not sure.

Not in play. Romney has lots of support but not in the areas where all the people live. KWIM? He'll win in lots of counties but not in the 3 where most of the people live.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I'm in Nebraska, I see nothing.

My email, on the other hand, has apparently been signed up for Romney campaign emails- and you have to disable it for each person that 'sends' them to you. So, one each for Tagg and all the other brothers, various staffers, Ann, Paul Ryan. It's annoying. I delete about 30 a day.

Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:13 AM

No, I don't usually watch the CT stations.  It sounds like some of the Republicans running for office in the Northeast are getting desparate with their ads.  Negative campaigning usually backfires up here.  I remember in the early days of Barney Frank's career his opponents basic argument was, "vote for me because BF is gay".  She lost by a huge margin.   

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Rubberbiscuit:

Are you seeing the Linda McMahon and her opponent (Chris something, his name escapes me lol) slinging mud at each other?  I have seen an ad about the opponent where he's painted as doing something fishy for a bank in order to get his mortgage.  It is ugly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN