Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

If you believe a woman should have her husbands consent before getting an abortion... sfag

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think a woman needs her husbands consent for any other reproductive or pregnancy decision?

How about to get her tubes tied?

What if she wants a natural, no-intervention birth? Do she need his permission?

What if she wants a c-section? Or, flip that. What if he wants her to get a c-section? There are compelling studies showing that c-section is safer for the baby.

Can he forbid an epidural? Or require one?

It's his baby too, right? Doesn't he get the right to say how it is delivered?

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Replies (21-30):
Nighttiger
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I think the wife's health should be a top priority for the husband, and he helped conceive the fetus, so I think he should be involved in the decision making. Yes, his voice should be heard in the result of an unplanned pregnancy and talk of abortion, however in that instance it is ultimately up to the woman to choose.  As far as tubes tied, he should have just as much say as the wife would in a vasectomy. As far as a natural birth, he would need to know the ins and outs in order to help and make sure the wife's health and baby's health are protected, so yes, he should have a say. As far as the epidural; unless he had compelling evidence that it harmed either the mom or the baby, he needs to stay out of it.

For all of it, in a committed loving relationship, the terms of reproduction should be an open discussion between both parties where both parties are heard and a compromised should be attempted.  No one should need permission or be able to force another into doing something they are not ready for. 

rayroe2
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

wow.......you so took that to the extreme. none of those things have anything to do with abortion.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:47 PM

If you are intune with your spouse....which you should be if you're having kids....he would be on the woman's side for her choices.

illinoismommy83
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Women don't need permission, but its nice to include dad in the decision making process. Just because its my body doesn't magically make his views totally stupid and wrong. Couples should discuss things and decide together.

Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:50 PM
SB=Spina Bifida

Quoting paganbaby:

Yeah...he sounds like a winner. Good thing you didn't listen to him!

Btw, what is SB?

Quoting Sat.Wed:

Once we found out dd had SB he wanted to stop all prenatal care and then tried to say the doctor was lying about my Protien S issue

Quoting paganbaby:

What did he want you to do??

Quoting Sat.Wed:

Are you kidding me? Uh NO! IF my ex had been able I would be DEAD

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alejandra10
by Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:51 PM
An abortion is not for us but if I got pregnant and was sure I didn't want the baby I would talk to my hubby share my reasons and go from there for the whole birth we both made decisions he supports me on all of me decisions but I like to talk to him about everything before
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Friday
by HRH of MJ on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I think these are all topics that should be discussed and decided by the couple, as a team, openly, honestly and considering all options. But I don't support requiring women to get consent from their husband.

Church of The Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves)

ramonafrog
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM
2 moms liked this
No, his opinions on birth preference are simply that... Opinions. A man has the right to father his child...something totally different.
Women force men to be financially responsible (child support) when they don't want to be fathers... Why do women always have the final say so?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ramonafrog
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:58 PM
2 moms liked this
Right. Taking a man's right to father away without his permission is nothing like whether a woman should or shouldn't get an epidural...

Quoting rayroe2:

wow.......you so took that to the extreme. none of those things have anything to do with abortion.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Is she okay?

Quoting Sat.Wed:

SB=Spina Bifida

Quoting paganbaby:

Yeah...he sounds like a winner. Good thing you didn't listen to him!

Btw, what is SB?

Quoting Sat.Wed:

Once we found out dd had SB he wanted to stop all prenatal care and then tried to say the doctor was lying about my Protien S issue

Quoting paganbaby:

What did he want you to do??

Quoting Sat.Wed:

Are you kidding me? Uh NO! IF my ex had been able I would be DEAD

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)