Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you believe a woman should have her husbands consent before getting an abortion... sfag

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think a woman needs her husbands consent for any other reproductive or pregnancy decision?

How about to get her tubes tied?

What if she wants a natural, no-intervention birth? Do she need his permission?

What if she wants a c-section? Or, flip that. What if he wants her to get a c-section? There are compelling studies showing that c-section is safer for the baby.

Can he forbid an epidural? Or require one?

It's his baby too, right? Doesn't he get the right to say how it is delivered?

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Replies (41-50):
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:30 PM

From personal experience, my dh never really cared one way or the other. When I became pregnant each time, the decision to keep or abort was strictly mine. Same when it came to having a natural/epidural/or C section. The only thing he's really taken a stand about is having more kids. Instead of insisting on an abortion or getting my tubes tied, he just won't get me pregnant in the first place,lol.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Ideally, that would be best.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

I think at the end of it all it is the womans decision.  I would hope that as a society and individuals, we ensure that our husbands are part of the process.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

ramonafrog
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:39 PM
Loopholes... Gotta love em.

Quoting paganbaby:

*Shrugs* That may be true but there are ways out of those "consequences" and many woman chose to go that route. Now if my husband/boyfriend disagrees with what I've done then he doesn't have to stay with me. Either way, It's my choice, not his.

Quoting ramonafrog:

Sorry, I really don't want to get into any drama or debate... But, I think if a person has sex they know the possible consequence. Personal responsibility has become scarce. It's sad.

Quoting paganbaby:

I'm not an incubator. There's no reason why I should be forced to endure an pregnancy just so he can be a father. If I decided to continue with the pregnancy and chose adoption instead, that would be a different story. He could fight for his rights as a father then. But only then.

Btw, I completely disagree with the child support. Any parent should be able to walk away ie:sign away their rights, with no financial obligation.

Quoting ramonafrog:

I think it's a man's right to father his child. Women force men to be financially responsible (child support) when they don't want to be fathers... Why do women always have the final say so?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:42 PM

SB - is that Spina Bifida?

My 3rd baby decided to turn tranverse in the middle of early labor after my water had broken, and they won't manually flip a baby after waters have broken.  I got another 2 hours after the decision was made, just to try and let him flip back, but after another ultrasound showing he was still sideways, I went in for the section.

What frustrates me is when people will jump to sections, even when there is no danger, and then we wonder why our section rate is 1 in 3 women?!  Even repeat sections (which a 1VBAC is just as safe as 0VBAC, but 2 sections and your risk is a lot higher) should be done after a trial of labor, for the safety of the baby.  Ugh.  I go in circles on this topic lol

Quoting Sat.Wed:

Agreed only reason I had c-section with dd is because of her SB had ds natural lol

Quoting kailu1835:

By the way, there are absolutely ZERO credible studies proving cesereans safer for any baby or mother that is not already in danger. Natural childbirth always has been and always will be the safest way to give birth for both mother and baby, provided there are no immediate health concerns for either.

babiesbabybaby development

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:43 PM

An abortion is a loophole?

Quoting ramonafrog:

Quoting paganbaby:

*Shrugs* That may be true but there are ways out of those "consequences" and many woman chose to go that route. Now if my husband/boyfriend disagrees with what I've done then he doesn't have to stay with me. Either way, It's my choice, not his.

Quoting ramonafrog:

Sorry, I really don't want to get into any drama or debate... But, I think if a person has sex they know the possible consequence. Personal responsibility has become scarce. It's sad.

Quoting paganbaby:

I'm not an incubator. There's no reason why I should be forced to endure an pregnancy just so he can be a father. If I decided to continue with the pregnancy and chose adoption instead, that would be a different story. He could fight for his rights as a father then. But only then.

Btw, I completely disagree with the child support. Any parent should be able to walk away ie:sign away their rights, with no financial obligation.

Quoting ramonafrog:

I think it's a man's right to father his child. Women force men to be financially responsible (child support) when they don't want to be fathers... Why do women always have the final say so?

ramonafrog
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:44 PM
A consequence loophole.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting ramonafrog:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting ramonafrog:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting ramonafrog:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Yep! Trying to remember how long ago it was, I'm thinking around 1995. We talked about it, we agreed on it, we went to the appointment together. I also took him to get it done, in the dr. office and drove him home. I had to sign paperwork saying I agreed to the procedure before it was done.

Quoting paganbaby:

Really? I've never heard of that.

Quoting DSamuels:

I had to sign paperwork saying I agreed before they would do my husband's vasectomy.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:45 PM

That's only if you think children are a punishment.

Quoting ramonafrog:

A consequence loophole.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting ramonafrog:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting ramonafrog:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting ramonafrog:

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:46 PM

That's good that you were on board with it. But do you think that all men should have permission from their wives to have one?

Quoting DSamuels:

Yep! Trying to remember how long ago it was, I'm thinking around 1995. We talked about it, we agreed on it, we went to the appointment together. I also took him to get it done, in the dr. office and drove him home. I had to sign paperwork saying I agreed to the procedure before it was done.

Quoting paganbaby:

Really? I've never heard of that.

Quoting DSamuels:

I had to sign paperwork saying I agreed before they would do my husband's vasectomy.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:48 PM

No, the final decision is up to the person whose body is undergoing the procedure.  Of course people should consider their spouse but the final decision is the woman's.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured