Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you believe a woman should have her husbands consent before getting an abortion... sfag

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think a woman needs her husbands consent for any other reproductive or pregnancy decision?

How about to get her tubes tied?

What if she wants a natural, no-intervention birth? Do she need his permission?

What if she wants a c-section? Or, flip that. What if he wants her to get a c-section? There are compelling studies showing that c-section is safer for the baby.

Can he forbid an epidural? Or require one?

It's his baby too, right? Doesn't he get the right to say how it is delivered?

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Replies (91-100):
Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:03 AM
Except when SO stops talking to you, my now ex basically in not so many words didnt want me to have dd and then got pissed when he found out I got my tubes tied (I was 21) ummm sorry a*hole but we have 2 kids and THIS pregnancy nearly killed me and BOTH of us numerous times and I have a boy and girl Im good

Quoting lga1965:

A wife has to discuss abortion with her husband . There's no way a marriage can survive without both people making decisions together and THIS is a really important issue. Same for getting tubes ties or a vasectomy. These are important issues that both husband and wife must decide together.

The other stuff about childbirth is not really as important. How many men would care about natural birth or an epidural,etc. LOL.

A C-Section is a decision theDoctor makes during the later stages of the pregnancy or based on how the labor progresses.  Its not a choice. Husbands don't think about those things.They just want the kid to be healthy and his wife to make it through without complications, I don't know any men who get as obsessed about birth plans as the women here at CM.  I didnt have a "birth plan"with each of my three deliveries.. I just went into the hospital with the goal being delivering  a healthy baby. Birth plans? LOL. You're in there for a few hours, you check out of the hospital a few days later and THEN the really important things happen.You raise your baby.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I think that if a person is adult enough to lay down and had sex with someone, they should be adult enough to come to a consensus with their SO/DH about reproduction, birth control, abortion, tubal ligation, etc. So, I think that a couple should agree.

I also think that since a woman can get an abortion without a man's consent, a man should be able to sign his rights away without permission of the court or the woman. That'd only be fair IMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:38 AM

I take that back. I guess there's a side of dh I never knew. Or maybe he's changed...anyways.

Do you feel that a woman should have her husbands consent before getting an abortion? Yes. It's his baby too. But only if they're married. Being married means you made a commitment to this woman and any future children. Boyfriends on the other hand haven't made that commitment and can come and go at any time.

Do you think a woman needs her husbands consent for any other reproductive or pregnancy decision?

How about to get her tubes tied? Yes. That's permanent.

What if she wants a natural, no-intervention birth? Do she need his permission? No, as long as the baby isn't at risk.

What if she wants a c-section? Or, flip that. What if he wants her to get a c-section? There are compelling studies showing that c-section is safer for the baby. Nope. It's her choice how the baby gets born as long as they're both safe.

Can he forbid an epidural? Or require one? No, she can be in pain if she wants too.

It's his baby too, right? Doesn't he get the right to say how it is delivered? No. As long as the baby is born healthy, that's all that matters.

colljd02
by Julia on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Same here. I do think that in a marriage if a husband or wife were to get a vasectomy or tubes tied without the other's knowledge, or if a woman had an abortion without her husband's knowledge it would be a huge betrayal of trust.

Quoting _Kissy_:

We decide everything as a couple but the final decision is/was mine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
colljd02
by Julia on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:00 AM
My sister has hydrocephalus. She just turned 18.

Quoting Sat.Wed:

Yep, she is 8 walking with Knee Ankle Foot Orthothics, has a shunt (she has hydrocephlous) and is mainstreamed, she does NOT have control of her bowel or bladder but if you saw her she looks like your average kiddo

Quoting paganbaby:

Is she okay?

Quoting Sat.Wed:

SB=Spina Bifida

Quoting paganbaby:

Yeah...he sounds like a winner. Good thing you didn't listen to him!

Btw, what is SB?

Quoting Sat.Wed:

Once we found out dd had SB he wanted to stop all prenatal care and then tried to say the doctor was lying about my Protien S issue

Quoting paganbaby:

What did he want you to do??

Quoting Sat.Wed:

Are you kidding me? Uh NO! IF my ex had been able I would be DEAD

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:12 AM
This.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Permission? No but I do believe DH should have input.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GrannyM.
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:25 AM

A woman doesn't have to ...but she should as it's his child too...It's a child at conception in my opinion. I know all do not agree with this and that is their right.

nickysmom71
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Nope...my body and I will do what I want with it.  No one - not even my SO has any say in what I do with my body.  I won't keep him in the dark about anything, but the decision would be all mine.

NutHouseMomma
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Permission, not so much. However, I do think the husband should have some say in whether or not he has another mouth to feed and be responsible for....especially if the woman is failing to follow through with mutually agreed upon birth control. Does that make sense? I have a cousin that wanted another baby and stopped taking her birth control....her husband did not want anymore children at the time. He thought she was still on birth control....she ended up pregnant and he was pissed. He ended up leaving her because she deceived him....and now he has another responsibility he wasn't expecting or wanting. I think stuff like that is shady and not okay...

As far as giving birth...not his decision.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Quoting DSamuels:

I had to sign paperwork saying I agreed before they would do my husband's vasectomy.

I had a friend who went behind his girls back and got that done. Didn't even tell her. But she was just a gf (mother of his kids) not a wife. 

Jaliyah  My video here

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured