Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Photo ID Required To Vote Amounts To A Poll Tax, Is Unconstitutional

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:39 AM
  • 140 Replies

Several states have taken steps to require their voters show state-issued photo ID at the polls. However, these ID cards are not free. In the state of Ohio, a basic ID card costs $8.50. Comparable prices are charged in other states. We can thus conclude that in states that require photo ID to vote, residents are being inadvertently charged a fee to vote, which is unconstitutional.

Agree or disagree?

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tanya93-
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:41 AM
I thought all of those stAtes offer a free card if you can't afford it. I know they do in Texas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:48 AM
2 moms liked this

I disagree.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Quoting Tanya93-:

I thought all of those stAtes offer a free card if you can't afford it. I know they do in Texas.

Quote:

Voters and activists who have been aiding those seeking ID recounted receiving unclear and inaccurate instructions from state Department of Transportation employees, waiting for hours to learn that they needed other documents and being charged for the free ID card.

I should add when they say "being charged for the free id cards" it is normally because they require a different document that the people would be charged for to get that free id card.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I disagree.

If a Poll Tax is a fee put on Voting to discourage (Poor) Voters from voting.
And voter id laws
Require people to pay a fee for an ID to be able to vote

How is it any different for some people?

Of course this only applies to the states that don't offer free ID's. Though it seems people have been running into trouble with getting Free ID's.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

D.O.E.
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:59 AM
8 moms liked this

uh...considering how many dead people have rose from the grave specificly to vote, no i dont think it is a bad idea, after all we in canada have to have id to vote. 

and as for the id cards, you should have one anyways

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:00 AM
2 moms liked this

I disagree.

That argument might fly IF the only purpose of that ID would be for voting identification, meaning it would serve no other purpose or not be acceptable as ID for any other situation. Since that same ID is necessary for many other situations, it in no way qualifies as a 'poll tax'.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Agree, unless steps are taken to get ID's for FREE to those who don't have one (even if its purpose if JUST for voting) and given ample time to get it...not a month out from the election

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:04 AM
2 moms liked this

There was a 93 year old lady in my state on the news upset b/c she is having trouble even getting an ID b/c she has no birth certificate (they didn't all have them back then). This whole thing is ridiculous and out of hand. 

Jaliyah  My video here

gilbertgrl627
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Disagree.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM
3 moms liked this

Disagree.  If you can be required to show ID to withdraw money from your own bank account there is no reason you should not be expected to show it when voting. 

I had to show my ID when I had my son in the ER over the weekend...I had to show it again to pick up a prescription for pain meds.  Many things require an id.

Besides, the SCOTUS has already upheld these laws.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN