Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

We Are Hungry (Not What You Think)

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:38 PM
  • 4 Replies

No I'm not going to post the video AGAIN.

I'm listening to PRI and there's a discussion going on about the school lunch reforms.  The lady who was just speaking brought up a facinating point.  She said she watched the video and she wants to know where the adults, parents and teachers, are, incorporating sound nutritional information into classroom and home discussions.  She asks, why aren't adults talking with these kids about correct serving sizes, about the nutrition incorporated in vegetables, the health benefits of eating both cooked and raw vegetables, etc.  

I hadn't thought of this before but it's a good point.  Those of you with children in school, ARE there classroom discussions about sound nutrition and how it impacts the new lunch standards?

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Tanya93-
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Everything my son knows about nutrition, he learned from DJ Lance.

eema.gray
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:45 PM

LOL  ;-)

Quoting Tanya93-:

Everything my son knows about nutrition, he learned from DJ Lance.

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:54 PM

They discussed healthy foods in my son's preschool class.  I don't know if they have in Kindergarten yet.  I don't rely on the schools to teach my children proper nutrition and serving sizes and such.  I teach them at home.  Anything they learn outside of our home is extra.

ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Well it's up to the parents to teach their children at home but the school requires students to have health class up until the 9th grade (in my area) and they teach nutrician, seriving sizes, etc...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)