Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Am I the only one who finds this disturbing?

Posted by   + Show Post

What are your thoughts? Does this girl's wish make you uncomfortable?

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/video/us/2012/10/03/dnt-girl-kills-bear.waow

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:07 PM
Replies (31-40):
OttawaHoney
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:51 PM
Slaughtering a domesticated animal is entirely different than hunting for what you will be eating. A person providing a bear is providing a lot of food and had used a lot of skill most people don't have to get that food. Depending on the culture there is a lot of respect for three animals that are being hunted. We would never hunt for sport

Quoting nb34:

I understand that point of view of knowing where meat comes from. But hunting a bear and bragging about it, is where I draw the line. I grew up where I would sometimes see my food being slaughtered, but it was always done respectfully and no one bragged about killing the animal we were about to eat. And nobody posed with the dead animal either.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Meh, it's not that weird.  I know a lot of hunters who respect the environment and feel it's better to really know that meat does not grow on a boneless skinless chicken breast tree, pre-wrapped for our convenience.  That it is an actual dead animal, who died to give us food.  I think with that point of view it is more respectful than just assuming that some evil killer did the dirty part to we can just ignore it.

Personally, though, I do not like guns or hunting, lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SapphyreMoon91
by New Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:53 PM
2 moms liked this

yes I find this very disturbing :( 

OttawaHoney
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Its not my favorite, it's very greasy and fatty but yes people eat it.

Quoting nb34:

Well, I think this is the first time I hear about people eating bears.

Quoting OttawaHoney:

I cannot see the video i am mobile but if I understand the girl went bear hunting right? People eat bear. I have eaten a lot of bear before I converted to Islam and it became not zabiha. My family hunts bear (and deer, rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, turkey, duck and a bunch of other stuff too). It is traditional for us to eat these things. We also fish and eat what we catch.

Quoting nb34:

That's how I feel about it too. Senseless killing of animals just for fun is disturbing to me. I donate to charities who help realize last wishes of kids with terminal illness, but I do not feel comfortable my money going to someone whose wish is to kill an animal just for fun.

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Yeah.  I find hunting disturbing in general.  I understand the need for population control....but kids using guns?  Not cool.  Also what was most disturbing were the pictures of the dead bear.  I don't need that in my face. 

Whats "not cool" about children learning to properly use firearms and hunt? And as far as the pictures of the dead bear "in your face" please, there wasnt even any blood.

Blood is not what disturbs me.  Real-life pictures of dead things disturbs me.  If it were a picture of a dead person you'd be disturbed.  I don't care for dead animals, and I think hunting for sport is barbaric and violent.  I am disturbed by sweet little children partaking in violent acts. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tanya93-
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:55 PM
I know the Ingalls family ate when they lived in the Big Woods
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Yeah.  I find hunting disturbing in general.  I understand the need for population control....but kids using guns?  Not cool.  Also what was most disturbing were the pictures of the dead bear.  I don't need that in my face. 

Whats "not cool" about children learning to properly use firearms and hunt? And as far as the pictures of the dead bear "in your face" please, there wasnt even any blood.

Blood is not what disturbs me.  Real-life pictures of dead things disturbs me.  If it were a picture of a dead person you'd be disturbed.  I don't care for dead animals, and I think hunting for sport is barbaric and violent.  I am disturbed by sweet little children partaking in violent acts. 

sidesplittinglaughterare you serious, omg. lololol

I am very serious.  I have incredible respect for all living creatures and killing them for fun seems barbaric and violent to me.  Would you like to further ridicule my spiritual beliefs? 

I only ridicule spiritual beliefs when they leave one woefully uneducated, as you obviously are about hunting. Most people who hunt do so for food and for conservation. most animals that are hunted would overpopulate quickly and spread disease and starve if not hunted responsibly. Children who learn to hunt learn responsibility, morality, and a love of nature and conservation. Brush up on some facts then get back to be w/ out the holier then thou attitude fueled by medication.

I already said I understand the need for population control and obviously I understand the need for food.  What I don't understand is getting enjoyment out of it.  I teach my children about nature and conservation without killing anything.  I believe killing anything is wrong, and if one has to do it for sustenence, it should be done begrudgingly and with some sort of respect for the dead.  Posing in victory pictures with the corpse is disgustingly disrespectful to God's creatures. 

And I don't take medication. 

Oooo gods little warrior poised for the attack eh, that was a spell check typo, it was supposed to say mis-education, and I changed it but you were too fast weren't you lol. I see it as a pride thing, i posed w/ pics of my deer because I worked hard to get them, and was proud of my accomplishment I fed my family and those in my camp.

Just because you find it disrespectful doesnt mean everyone else agrees. You are spending an awful lot of time ion a post discussing something you dont believe in. lololol 

You contradict yourself very well in this reply by the way. lol you are funny! ;)

The OPs post was asking for opinions.  I gave mine.  I don't know why you're so hell-bent on ridiculing it. 

How did I contradict myself?

lga1965
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

I agree with you Sunshine.

lga1965
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I am sure that when you hunt to eat and live, it is an entirely different thing.

Quoting Tanya93-:

mhaney03
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I heart guns

lga1965
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Are you sure they don't? LOL. That is a generalization to be sure.

Hunting to obtain food to live I can understand. I think I could easily be a vegetarian.

Hunting for sport. NO.

Heads of deer or moose on the wall , and antlers as decor in your den....NO.

Quoting dustinsmom1:

I have no problem w/ kids hunting.

Kids who hunt, fish and trap don't mug little old ladies.

The only thing I don't like is that she said she turned her head. That's dangerous. There's is nothing wrong or bad about children learning how to use firearms and/ or hunt. She did good!

Tanya93-
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:05 PM
I was simpy commenting about the post where they have never heard of eating bear meat.

I don't find her desire weird or disturbing. She is happy and if she never gets her transplant, she and her family will have a great memory of something that made her smile and burst with pride.

Quoting lga1965:

I am sure that when you hunt to eat and live, it is an entirely different thing.

Quoting Tanya93-:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)