Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Am I the only one who finds this disturbing?

Posted by   + Show Post

What are your thoughts? Does this girl's wish make you uncomfortable?

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/video/us/2012/10/03/dnt-girl-kills-bear.waow

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:07 PM
Replies (41-50):
chrlstoncharmed
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

... says the person who advocates shooting people. 

Quoting dustinsmom1:
I only ridicule spiritual beliefs when they leave one woefully uneducated, as you obviously are about hunting. Most people who hunt do so for food and for conservation. most animals that are hunted would overpopulate quickly and spread disease and starve if not hunted responsibly. Children who learn to hunt learn responsibility, morality, and a love of nature and conservation. Brush up on some facts then get back to be w/ out the holier then thou attitude fueled by medication.

lga1965
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I find it disturbing in this day and age that her Mother is missing at least 4 teeth and they are so noticeable. If she can't afford dental care, there are Dentists who do cheap or free dentistry for needy families. I wouldn't leave home if I had a mouth like hers and there she is on TV talking about how blessed her daughter was to shoot a bear. OMG.

Tanya93-
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this
You are just a ranting, hateful, old woman about anyone who doesn't look the way you think they should.

Quoting lga1965:

I find it disturbing in this day and age that her Mother is missing at least 4 teeth and they are so noticeable. If she can't afford dental care, there are Dentists who do cheap or free dentistry for needy families. I wouldn't leave home if I had a mouth like hers and there she is on TV talking about how blessed her daughter was to shoot a bear. OMG.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
radioheid
by Libertarian on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I find it disturbing, but not because a kid is hunting; I find sport hunting in general to be shameful and disgusting. Big no-no in my family. My grandfather always said that unless it was vermin or showed signs of rabies, "if you kill it, you eat it". You don't kill ANYTHING for trophy, EVER. It is a crime against nature.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

lga1965
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:20 PM

LOL. Holier than thou?

When my Dad was about 15, he went deer hunting with his Dad and Uncles. ( This was about 1926 ?) He said that when he saw a guy bringing back a killed deer, he saw the deer's big brown eyes and the beautiful head and body and decided there was no way he could take a gun and end the life of such a beautiful animal, that only the Lord could take  life.  I guess he was "holier than thou" too.(His Dad was unhappy with him. I suppose he thought my Dad was a wimp or something. )

I respected him when he told me about that years ago. Nobody in our family or in-laws or friends hunt either.I let other people "thin the herd". Its not something I want to do.

lga1965
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:23 PM

LOL. Okay. Feel better now?

Quoting Tanya93-:

You are just a ranting, hateful, old woman about anyone who doesn't look the way you think they should.

Quoting lga1965:

radioheid
by Libertarian on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Hey now, that's not true. The clinic around here will *pull* teeth, but they won't put anything back unless you've had them *all* pulled and they are giving you a full denture. And they charge $40 per tooth. I know this because my husband had a tooth pulled there 2 years ago.

Quoting lga1965:

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

lga1965
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Here in MY state there are many Dentists who will do bridges and implants for nearly free becasuse they know that  Dental Health is important. It IS important. Your general health depends on a healthy mouth.That woman is not taking care of herself.

Quoting radioheid:

Hey now, that's not true. The clinic around here will *pull* teeth, but they won't put anything back unless you've had them *all* pulled and they are giving you a full denture. And they charge $40 per tooth. I know this because my husband had a tooth pulled there 2 years ago.

Quoting lga1965:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Good for her.

I'm not about to judge her or her family.  They are who they are and some people are a hell of a lot worse off.

When one is educated and hunts properly, there is nothing wrong with it.  Even at age 11. My daughter is 12 and hunts.  She has since she was able to legally obtain a hunting license.

People who do not like hunting aren't going to like it or understand.  They don't have to.

This child's wish was granted.  That is what is important.

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Why not, my 8 point mount honors the deer I shot and killed and ate. I donated the hide to made into gloves as well.

Quoting lga1965:

Are you sure they don't? LOL. That is a generalization to be sure.

Hunting to obtain food to live I can understand. I think I could easily be a vegetarian.

Hunting for sport. NO.

Heads of deer or moose on the wall , and antlers as decor in your den....NO.

Quoting dustinsmom1:

I have no problem w/ kids hunting.

Kids who hunt, fish and trap don't mug little old ladies.

The only thing I don't like is that she said she turned her head. That's dangerous. There's is nothing wrong or bad about children learning how to use firearms and/ or hunt. She did good!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)